• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Strad vs Omega replacement parts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetEgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Strad vs Omega replacement parts Reply with quote

I love my 2002 Bach Omega, in part because it was relatively cheap on ebay and plays very well, and also due to the fact that I can basically defy Bach by owning one. I like the way the horn plays, but I feel like it could be better if I changed a few parts out.
As far as I know, Omegas were made with Strad valve assemblies, and had a 2 piece bell and a lower quality leadpipe. Considering new bells cost $400+ (USD), I would be looking into replacing the leadpipe.

My main question: Will an Omega take a Strad leadpipe?

If so, I was looking into a Bach 43/44 or a Blackburn 11/12, and would be using the trumpet for lead playing and jazz.

Thanks in advance!
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Strad vs Omega replacement parts Reply with quote

TrumpetEgo wrote:
I love my 2002 Bach Omega, in part because it was relatively cheap on ebay and plays very well, and also due to the fact that I can basically defy Bach by owning one. I like the way the horn plays, but I feel like it could be better if I changed a few parts out.
As far as I know, Omegas were made with Strad valve assemblies, and had a 2 piece bell and a lower quality leadpipe. Considering new bells cost $400+ (USD), I would be looking into replacing the leadpipe.

If so, I was looking into a Bach 43/44 or a Blackburn 11/12, and would be using the trumpet for lead playing and jazz.

Thanks in advance!
Going from memory I think you already have a 25 pipe on the Omega. Compare the tubing, internal and external, and the tuning slide dimensions for compatibility.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I wouldn't invest anymore money in that Omega.

Save the money from the new pipe, sell the Omega, find a good used LA Benge for around $1000. or so....Especially if as you say, you want a bright horn.
TrumpetEgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Strad vs Omega replacement parts Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
TrumpetEgo wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Going from memory I think you already have a 25 pipe on the Omega. Compare the tubing, internal and external, and the tuning slide dimensions for compatibility.

Sadly I can't seem to find the leadpipe dimensions online. Do you know where I could find them?
TrumpetEgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:

Save the money from the new pipe, sell the Omega, find a good used LA Benge for around $1000. or so....Especially if as you say, you want a bright horn.

It's not my only horn. I have a '75 King Silver Flair that I use for other settings, but I use this horn for jazz band and marching band. I got it for $600 used, and it's a great horn that outplays some of the strads I've tried.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:

But then you would be stuck playing a benge.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Whew. What a relief!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Whew. What a relief!

+1

I have a 3X+ that I paid about $900. for, and earned tens of thousands playing scores of musicals, big band gigs, top 40 gigs, and wedding bands etc

Great horns that for whatever reason have a very reasonable price, great history, and that Benge sparkle.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Strad vs Omega replacement parts Reply with quote

TrumpetEgo wrote:
rockford wrote:
TrumpetEgo wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Sadly I can't seem to find the leadpipe dimensions online. Do you know where I could find them?
I looked around and couldn't find anything. Try your Omega tuning slide in a both a standard and lightweight Strad, checking to see if the upper leg of the tuning slide fits. That'll tell you which, if either, to get.
TrumpetEgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Strad vs Omega replacement parts Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
TrumpetEgo wrote:
rockford wrote:
TrumpetEgo wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I looked around and couldn't find anything. Try your Omega tuning slide in a both a standard and lightweight Strad, checking to see if the upper leg of the tuning slide fits. That'll tell you which, if either, to get.

Would old strads still be the same (70's,80's) because that's all I have access to readily.

Last edited by TrumpetEgo on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
C.E.Divine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of modding the omega, get a Bach 43 reverse leadpipe and put it on your silver flair. I put one on a customer's silver flair a few months ago and it turned into a SCREAMING lead horn.

Bach LR19043B B-flat
Blackburn converted Bach C
Kanstul CC920 Piccolo
Blessing XL Flugelhorn
J.W. York and Sons Perfec-Tone B-flat/A Cornet
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lower quality lead pipe? What would make a lead pipe lower quality? You might very well make the horn worse by changing the lead pipe. Consider the Mercedes. It comes with a 7 lead pipe which is actually bigger than a standard 25 pipe that comes on the Strad. So if you were to install a Strad lead pipe on a Mercedes, you would end up having a tighter horn. Great if that is what your aim is, but just installing another lead pipe without knowing what you are trying to achieve can end up being a waste of money.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
A lower quality lead pipe? What would make a lead pipe lower quality? You might very well make the horn worse by changing the lead pipe. Consider the Mercedes. It comes with a 7 lead pipe which is actually bigger than a standard 25 pipe that comes on the Strad. So if you were to install a Strad lead pipe on a Mercedes, you would end up having a tighter horn. Great if that is what your aim is, but just installing another lead pipe without knowing what you are trying to achieve can end up being a waste of money.

The whole project is a waste of money.
TrumpetEgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:

The omega was made using cheaper, less quality tubing everywhere except for the valve assembly. I'm trying to achieve a better sounding, brighter horn.
TrumpetEgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.E.Divine wrote:
Instead of modding the omega, get a Bach 43 reverse leadpipe and put it on your silver flair. I put one on a customer's silver flair a few months ago and it turned into a SCREAMING lead horn.

I'm not going to use a mint silver flair for marching band. And I'd rather not mess with the most expensive horn I own.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Strad vs Omega replacement parts Reply with quote

TrumpetEgo wrote:
rockford wrote:
TrumpetEgo wrote:
rockford wrote:
TrumpetEgo wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Would old strads still be the same (70's,80's) because that's all I have access to readily.
Yes. There are two types of tubing; standard and lightweight. Let me know what you find out.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that some Omega and Bach Strad trombone parts are interchangable, but I'm not sure about the trumpets. If you're using it for marching, I wouldn't spend any money on it, other than making sure it's in good repair.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
TrumpetEgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
I know that some Omega and Bach Strad trombone parts are interchangable, but I'm not sure about the trumpets. If you're using it for marching, I wouldn't spend any money on it, other than making sure it's in good repair.
-Lionel

I forgot to clarify: I'm in a competitive marching band where I have the possibility of getting solos and where high notes and brightness is key. The horns are treated well, but they are sometimes in the elements. And it's not like getting a new leadpipe will make it any worse, just honed to what I prefer.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if he wants to drop a new engine in his 90's Chevy Caprice, that's up to him.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Hey, if he wants to drop a new engine in his 90's Chevy Caprice, that's up to him.

I would posit that he is adding ram air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: