• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James R. New Mouthpieces Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Thanks for alerting us to these great pieces. I have the S5MS and it's superb. GREAT backbore and any sound you want from warm to cutting. And now I just wrote Jim about picking up the MS cup version you described. Plus Jim is a class act.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, by your description, I guess the 5 rim would be bigger than a Curry 3C., and the 4 rim would be about like a Curry 3C. Is that accurate? Thanks.
jcheze

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My head is about to explode. I ordered an S5M, but I like ID's in the 640-650 range. Did I mess up?
Levinell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Lead Line? Reply with quote

Anybody tried the Lead Line mouthpieces? I have a 70's Jet-Tone Bill Chase and a Patrick PBC and they are slightly different with the Patrick being slightly smaller in diameter but a deeper undercut. Great piece! Probably get a James New version to compare.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
John, by your description, I guess the 5 rim would be bigger than a Curry 3C., and the 4 rim would be about like a Curry 3C. Is that accurate? Thanks.

No, the Curry 3C. and any accurate copy of Arturo's favorite MV3C (including Jim's S5M cup) are very similar in size. The Curry 3C. is very slightly shallower and the outer part of its rim is a little less rounded, but other than that they are pretty close to the same.

Here's a scan comparing them:

https://s25.postimg.org/sxu8yjpsf/Sandoval_Curry_3_C_DOT.gif

Perhaps the Curry is a tiny bit smaller in terms of cup diameter, but it is still much closer to Jim's 5 cup diameter than his 4 cup diameter.
OndraJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, do the S5M and the Horntrader rims feel the same?
Do they have the same shape/contour?
Thank you.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you James New for my new custom pieces!

Left to right: CGP5A / CGS5A (CG3) / AS5

My nomenclature:

CG P 5A- indicates its a copy of the Kanstul CG Personal (Cup, Throat & Backbore) sized at around a Bach 5, with Arturo Sandoval's famously comfortable MT Vernon 3C rim (The A at the end)

CG S 5A - Indicates that its a copy of the Kanstul CG3 (Cup, throat, backbore) sized at around a Bach 5, with Arturo Sandoval's famously comfortable MT Vernon 3C rim (The A at the end).

The AS5 is Arturo's famous 3C with #24 throat and enlarged backbore sized at around a Bach 5.

As you can see, they all have the CG Personal Blank, which I have found just seems to produce a rich and nicely balanced sound and response on light weight trumpets.

Also, in terms of the CG mouthpieces, this was the blank of choice that Claude Gordon finally settled on for his 'personal model', and I thought it therefore only made sense to use the same blank for the CG3 copy. So that's something totally unique (The CG3 with the CGP blank).

The Arturo model was really just for kicks, but I figured I might as well keep the CG Personal blank for it too. 'In for a penny, in for a pound' type of thing.

So I have more or less three flavours here in the same size, but different cup shapes/depths.

It's too late at night where I am to play on them with anything other than a practice mute, but even there, they feel good! I'm very excited to give them a proper play test tomorrow.

THANK YOU JIM!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidBrassObsession wrote:
Thank you James New for my new custom pieces!

Nice collection!

OndraJ wrote:
John, do the S5M and the Horntrader rims feel the same?
Do they have the same shape/contour?
Thank you.

They feel similar but not exactly the same, as while the Horntrader rim does have the same rim contour/shape/thickness as Arturo's rim, the cup diameter of the Horntrader HT3CS is smaller than that of Arturo's MV3C. The Horntrader mouthpieces have a diameter that is even slightly smaller than a modern 3C (which itself is slightly smaller than Arturo's MV3C). In fact, the Horntrader mouthpieces seem to have a diameter that is very similar to a Reeves 43 mouthpiece diameter (which itself is slightly smaller in cup diameter than a modern 3C).

To help folks out, I'll list the following mouthpieces in descending order of cup diameter (biggest to smallest). Mouthpieces very close in size will be listed with no space between them.

Typical Mt Vernon 3C: (about the cup diameter of a modern Bach 1-1/2C but with a shallower cup and a wider rim)
Bach 1-1/2-C: (about the cup diameter of a Mt Vernon Bach 3C but with a deeper cup and a narrower rim)

Curry 3C.:
Slightly smaller than a typical Mt Vernon 3C (Mark based the 3C. on a smallish MV3C)
James R. New produced copies of Arturo's favorite MV3C including the 5MS/S: Slightly smaller than a typical MV3C, and a tiny bit deeper than the Curry 3C.

Modern Bach 3C

Horntrader HT3CS Lead Mouthpiece: Slightly smaller diameter and shallower cup than a modern Bach 3C with the slightly wider rim of Arturo's favorite MV3C.
Bob Reeves 43C: Slightly smaller diameter than a modern Bach 3C with a wider rim, about the same depth as the Horntrader HT3CS, but slightly less cup volume than the Horntrader HT3CS due to the slightly greater alpha angle (the cup is a little more V-Shaped than the HT3CS or 3C).

Almost all the size and comparison info above has been confirmed by me using scans either available on the various Kanstul Comparators (the public one and several private in-company ones that have been on the internet from time to time), Jim's new Mouthpiece Profile Viewer, or scans Jim has sent me over the years. The only comparison above I do not have scans with which to confirm is my description is of the Horntrader HT3CS compared with the Bob Reeves 43C (as I don't have a scan of the HT3CS). But in every way I've measured (dime on the edge of a business card, digital micrometer, visual and tactile comparisons and playing comparisons), I think my descriptions of the similarities and differences of these two mouthpieces is also accurate.

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nomenclature:

CG P 5A- indicates its a copy of the Kanstul CG Personal (Cup, Throat & Backbore) sized at around a Bach 5, with Arturo Sandoval's famously comfortable MT Vernon 3C rim (The A at the end)

CG S 5A - Indicates that its a copy of the Kanstul CG3 (Cup, throat, backbore) sized at around a Bach 5, with Arturo Sandoval's famously comfortable MT Vernon 3C rim (The A at the end).

The AS5 is Arturo's famous 3C with #24 throat and enlarged backbore sized at around a Bach 5.

What exactly is a Bach 5 backbore? I've never heard of that before.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to write:
The AS5 is Arturo's famous 3C with a #24 throat and an enlarged backbore, with the diameter sized at around a Bach 5.

Last edited by StupidBrassObsession on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
lynn9544

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: James R. New Mouthpieces Review Reply with quote

Here's another clip of the Nicholson Personal mouthpiece in action..... I will say it again--Jim New does awesome work! As it turns out, the Personal works well in a variety of horns, without modifications..... I like it when that happens....

Link

Hope you are all well...

Peace
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oxford comma (or lack of ) strikes again.
he AS5 is Arturo's famous 3C with #24 throat and enlarged backbore, sized at around a Bach 5 (diameter )

Neither your first post nor your second actually included an Oxford comma. There is no comma before "and" in either version, and with only two elements in the series, there is no reason for such a comma.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just placed an order for some tops and back bores! He's probably the fastest and most pleasant guy I've ever worked with! A class act, for sure!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: James R. New Mouthpieces Review Reply with quote

lynn9544 wrote:
Here's another clip of the Nicholson Personal mouthpiece in action..... I will say it again--Jim New does awesome work! As it turns out, the Personal works well in a variety of horns, without modifications..... I like it when that happens....

Link

Hope you are all well...

Peace

Hi Lynn,

Loved it! Particularly loved the bit of gravel in the sound around 0:22 as you came down in range - reminded me of Maynard back in the day.

Best wishes,

John
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: James R. New Mouthpieces Review Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I plan to purchase a D cup version with the rim and diameter of my MV3C clone soon (this combo would be a S5D with the P backbore).

razeontherock wrote:
Now, a specific question about ID sizes. If I understand Jim's nomenclature, this mpc would have an ID of .650". As I understand it that Arturo clone MV3C has the diameter of a 1.5C, which is .665". (Which is also how things register on my calipers) That's a pretty wide discrepancy; can you verify and/or elucidate further?

John Mohan wrote:

If I had a nickel for every time I've pointed out that one cannot compare numerical measurements of different mouthpieces, especially if the measurements come from different sources...

I do that too, but everything being compared here has been made by Jim New. (Also, .665" is how Bach, Greg Black, and Bob Reeves 1.5's all measure)

Anyway he has a 2 week trial policy, with a modest 10% re-stocking fee. That made it a no-brainer for me to try a couple, both on his size 5 (.650") size. I've never even seen a stock S cup from Reeves so I'll try his S cup, W rim to see if it does help me with endurance for extended upper register demands, and I already know I do well with a #28 drill for that sort of thing. I'll also get his MS cup on his S rim with a #27 drill. His own comparator makes those 2 rims look so close to each other that switching should be no trouble, and it stands to reason that this slightly deeper cup should serve me better for all-around playing.

If I find I have no endurance and my calipers tell me this is .665", it's not that hard to go down to the next size; far less expense than driving to the nearest music store from here. I've played a number of Jim's pieces over the years and still have a few; they've all been quality work.

Last edited by razeontherock on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd get rid of my Grammar related post, so we can focus on Jim's great mouthpiece work!

Anyone else bought any pieces from Jim?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had occasion to get some consulting with Jim, and he is purely top notch; the man is simply doing everything right! I find the sharper bite of his W rim really helps me get clearer and cleaner attacks, but does not help me in the range and endurance dep't. So we've decided on how to mix and match the S & W rims, they'll arrive back from the platers while he's on vacation, and I'll see them after that. I'm also having him do a slew of other work for me, that I've been putting off having done.

He is now "my favorite mpc maker," and IMHO it is in our community's best interest to make sure we keep him in business.
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim has some nice pieces posted for sale on eBay.
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He is now "my favourite mpc maker," and IMHO it is in our community's best interest to make sure we keep him in business.

Absolutely. His responsiveness and helpfulness is really something. Every time I emailed him about something, he replied quickly, helpfully and often with new drawings for me to consider.

If you need custom work done, I think Jim is likely quicker, friendlier and cheaper than anyone else (at least at the moment) out there, and the product is equal to any other makers. If I ever need any custom work done at all in the future, it'll be Jim without question!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I placed an order last weekend with Jim New.

I'm rather conservative, and have ordered two of the custom top of which he made me a couple whilst he was at Kanstul, which is simply a copy of the cup end of my 2005 trumpet Bach 3C. I have ordered them in the standard blank of the modular tops in his new mouthpiece line.

I have also ordered two backbores. I seriously considered ordering his S backbore, as I have one already with his gap modulator, but after Jim kindly explained the difference between his S backbore and the Kanstul B10 which I am already using, I opted to stick with a standard Bach 10 copy, as this would give me the same backbore as I am using on cornet. I have chosen to have my new backbores in the standard blank of the modular backbores in his mouthpiece line, but Jim gave me the option of having them in a Bach backbore blank.

Anyway, I'm very looking forward to my new pieces for my trumpets.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: