• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Freddie Hubbard Equipment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cperret
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of sites with information on what horns a trumpet player used, what mouthpieces, etc, but I've been having trouble finding more specific details. My question is this: Does anyone out there know what albums Freddie played which horns on? Thanks.
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FH through the prime of his career played a Bach Mercedes II intermediate horn and the Bach 7C mouthpiece that came with it. These days, he's one of those lurkers who you never know where he is or what he's doing, but I believe he's playing a Calicchio 3-9 horn with a custom Monette mouthpiece, equivilent to a 2B I understand. Don't trust me on that though.
adieste
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show ya'...it's not the horn, it's what's behind it!
Pocket Trumpet: Funky No-Name Thing
Alto Sax: 1965 Buescher Aristocrat
Tenor Sax: 1956 Buffet Crampon Paris
cperret
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still like to know if anyone out there knows which horns were on which album...
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew!

I doubt that even Hubbard himself could answer that question.

If there´s no photo on the cover, it´s impossible to tell, and even if there is one, you couldn´t say for sure wheter that really is the horn he used on that particular session.
On the earlier recordings (on Impulse, I believe) there are pictures of Freddie with his New York Bach Mercedes. On his 60s Blue Note albums, Hubbard is often pictured with his Conn 8B. On the inside cover of "First Light", he is holding a Martin Committee. I have a VSOP live album where he is pictured on stage with his Getzen flugel and what looks like a Getzen Eterna trumpet. I would guess he switched to Calicchio in the 80s.

Martin
cperret
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Martin. That's as much information as I was hoping for. I was just curious and thought this would be the place to ask... cheers!
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that Freddie started out as a french horn player.
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who cares? he could have made a plastic horn sound great. BTW: just saw him at IRIDIUM in NYC a couple of months ago with a great nonet. unfortunately, it seems the rumors about his chop problems seem true: he played (or tried to play) flugel all night and could barely get a note out. it was a sad thing to see. the music was beautiful though.
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Freddie Hubbard gear Reply with quote

Freddie DEF remembered what gear he played on, & on what LPs. Richard Boulger studied with him, & recorded many of his lessons, & at one point Freddie told him, & RB wrote it down, & he showed me the list (I did not memorize it!). RB also studied w/ Jackie McLean & Donald Byrd, & currently teaches online & in person up in the Berkshires. You can also check out his music on YouTube, etc. - he kills.
Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Zombie Thread Reply with quote

BTW, this thread is nearly 21 years old.
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Zombie Thread Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
BTW, this thread is nearly 21 years old.

Bringing dead threads back to life ; )
1965 Olds Recording

wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 8 years old when this thread was fresh
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's pictured playing his NY Bach Mercedes on the album cover for "The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard" and some editions of "Ready for Freddie". I believe there's an Art Blakey record where he's holding a Couesnon trumpet with two underslung waterkeys. The photos from "Here to Stay" look like a very early Olds trumpet with a fully engraved bell. That horn also appears to be what he is holding in a photo with Hank Mobley, presumably at a recording session for the album "Roll Call". There are also photos from this era of him playing a Chicago Benge, French Besson, and a turn-of-the-century cornet. The liner notes for Herbie Hancock's "Empyrean Isles" lists "Freddie Hubbard: Cornet". Starting around 1964, he played a Conn 8B, which is pictured on the album cover of "First Light". He switched to Calicchio in 1974 and played some version of the 3 bell for the rest of his career, whether it was the 3/9 large bore, Copper Solo 3/9, or the 3 bell with some other leadpipe. I believe his last horn was an R3/2 ML, which currently resides in Josh Landress' shop. I've heard rumors that he briefly used a Martin Committee around the time that Bill Evans' "Interplay" was recorded, but I haven't been able to find any photos from this session to verify.

As for the mouthpiece, he is pictured with a Bach mouthpiece on "The Body and the Soul", and I've heard that it was a Bach 6 (no letter). His Calicchio mouthpiece was much different, and had a large inner diameter, a wide rim, and a shallow cup.
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Freddie’s gear Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
He's pictured playing his NY Bach Mercedes on the album cover for "The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard" and some editions of "Ready for Freddie". I believe there's an Art Blakey record where he's holding a Couesnon trumpet with two underslung waterkeys. The photos from "Here to Stay" look like a very early Olds trumpet with a fully engraved bell. That horn also appears to be what he is holding in a photo with Hank Mobley, presumably at a recording session for the album "Roll Call". There are also photos from this era of him playing a Chicago Benge, French Besson, and a turn-of-the-century cornet. The liner notes for Herbie Hancock's "Empyrean Isles" lists "Freddie Hubbard: Cornet". Starting around 1964, he played a Conn 8B, which is pictured on the album cover of "First Light". He switched to Calicchio in 1974 and played some version of the 3 bell for the rest of his career, whether it was the 3/9 large bore, Copper Solo 3/9, or the 3 bell with some other leadpipe. I believe his last horn was an R3/2 ML, which currently resides in Josh Landress' shop. I've heard rumors that he briefly used a Martin Committee around the time that Bill Evans' "Interplay" was recorded, but I haven't been able to find any photos from this session to verify.

As for the mouthpiece, he is pictured with a Bach mouthpiece on "The Body and the Soul", and I've heard that it was a Bach 6 (no letter). His Calicchio mouthpiece was much different, and had a large inner diameter, a wide rim, and a shallow cup.

Awesome intel - ty! I wish we knew which model Olds he was using - going to check it out now //
1965 Olds Recording

deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Freddie gear Reply with quote

Looks like an Olds Recording ?

https://flic.kr/p/2pzzpTp
1965 Olds Recording

spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mid-70's he also played a Getzen Eterna trumpet and 4-valve flugel before he went to Calicchio. On the cover of his "Windjammer" album he's clearly holding a Getzen Eterna.

I was also told he played a Schilke 13B mouthpiece. Can't verify that, but...
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Freddie gear Reply with quote

deejaymushone wrote:

Not a Recording. Based on the engraving, that instrument likely predates models for Olds. It may have been called a "Symphony" model in the catalog, or simply a "The Olds". Likely from the early 1930's. Speaking of Olds Recordings, Booker Little played an Olds Recording during his brief career. Freddie Hubbard and Booker Little played on Coltrane's "Africa/Brass" album, which is Coltrane's only large ensemble album.
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Freddie gear Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
deejaymushone wrote:

Not a Recording. Based on the engraving, that instrument likely predates models for Olds. It may have been called a "Symphony" model in the catalog, or simply a "The Olds". Likely from the early 1930's. Speaking of Olds Recordings, Booker Little played an Olds Recording during his brief career. Freddie Hubbard and Booker Little played on Coltrane's "Africa/Brass" album, which is Coltrane's only large ensemble album.

They also play together on “ Slide Hampton and His Horn of Plenty”, & unlike Africa / Brass, they solo on it (!)
1965 Olds Recording

Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From website: http://www.pierrefx.com/bm/Player_horn_combinations.htm
The trumpets Freddie Hubbard player are listed below. I generally find this site to be fairly accurate.
Ron

Trumpets:
Conn Artist 8B,
Bach Mercury,
Olds Ambassador(w/pickup),
Martin Cmmittee
Getzen,
Callichio
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping in on this thread just because I posted in it about 21 years ago.

That is all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: