• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Starting the note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breath attacks may indeed be weak or scoopy, at least initially. But when practiced properly they can result in a sufficiently supple and tuned embouchure that produces a clear tone and accurate pitch right from the start. I'd also argue that many young players are overly reliant on a tongued attack, making for lousy entrances when they make soft entrances.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Zeé

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... OP will just need to practice hitting notes where they should be pitch-wise throughout the scale, keeping an ear for pitch and listening for & minimizing towards elimination of the bad 'swoop' at the start of the note. No getting away from it; awareness and listening and practicing. Good luck!

If you aren't already, record yourself, maybe starting with similar notes, dynamics and attacks that your peer called you out on, both to confirm the problem & gauge progress as you practice (but do try to improve it for all the the pitches, articulations & dynamics you use.)
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just goes to show technical understanding isn't required, or even always useful, for trumpet playing

... It would be nice if those technical explanations could be simpler (or non existent) and physical instruction could become simply action-oriented. One can truly learn to play well by awareness, practice, talent, instinct and skill. I agree that technical concepts are usually not required. Especially those that are so poorly conceived.
TrumpetDan79
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Starting the note Reply with quote

.... If you can make the P entrance and T entrance sound identical, you are on the right path. You DO use P quite a bit more than some believe. It's especially useful on very soft entrances on delicate phrases. And, the study of P entrances GREATLY helps with all aspects of the action of playing the trumpet. Listen to Hakan, Maurice, etc, and you'll hear it. The clean, centered PING on each note. P is just one extreme, and a very strong T is the other.

When you develop both, you end up with about 10 different colors you can create with the articuation. Violins have dozens of entrance colors. We aren't that lucky.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loweredsixth wrote:
There are some highly regarded teachers that advocate the practice of using breath attacks. Are you saying they are wrong to do that?

Long tones.
Free buzzing.
Mouthpiece buzzing.
Leadpipe buzzing.
Pedal tones.
The pencil exercise.
Chromatic scales.
Singing.
Breath attacks.
Pitch bending.
Deep breathing.
Chest-up posture.

These are all exercises that have been recommended by some of the best professional players and pedagogues. In fact, for each of these exercises, I can think of at least one teacher in my past that has recommended it. Between just Chesnut and Kotwica, I think they covered them all. I am confident that most of these exercises have been of benefit to my playing at some point in my life.

I have read denunciation, ridicule, condescension, or miscellaneous snarky responses about each one of these techniques on TrumpetHerald, in some cases from well-known professional players and teachers, calling the exercises useless, wastes of time, and other less polite things.

So what's good advice, and what's bad advice?
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg

Last edited by mm55 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is having a problem centering his pitch from lack of articulation.

.... You should know how to tongue a note before getting into the finer use of softer dynamics and air attacks.

.... Most guys pinch when trying to play soft. Pitch is all over the place. And the note just doesn't sound pure.

You think they are of benefit? Whatevs...but again to the OP, he needs to tongue his notes first, control them, then maybe explore hoofing, pinching, and squirreling out notes via no tongue
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Gosling, the Chop Saver guy, did an interview with Tom Hooten, of the LA Phil. This included an interesting discussion of articulation. Here's a bit:
Quote:
Tom Hooten: A lot of the time, if somebody puts air over the lips and it goes, “Huh,” you might think you have response problems, but what’s your articulation going to be like if the first half second of your air going over lips is not even a sound, it’s just “huh?” That’s sort of a glimpse of how I think about articulation. If the chops respond on the size of a pin. If it’s like, “Buzz,” then I have a lot more possibility of choosing what type of articulation I want because it was responding when I want.

Dan Gosling: You haven’t even talked about the tongue yet.

Tom Hooten: The tongue has nothing to do with the quality of your articulation. It has to do with the character...

When it comes to articulation, and maybe some people don’t like that maybe my articulations are a little bit more rounded or soft, but I tend to think, and Phil really inspired me with this, Phil Smith, is that I always heard, in his articulation, the beginning of sound. I never heard the stick on the drum. I heard the drum... To me, that’s the way that the lips vibrate, so articulation is that, at least the possibility of that.

http://www.chopsaver.com/blog/tom-hooten-principal-trumpet-los-angeles-philharmonic-orchestra-interview-part-2/

Good articulation requires good embouchure response. That's why John Daniels starts with breath attacks in his Special Studies. He calls them fundamental and preparatory exercises for Special Studies. Here's his reasoning:
Quote:
When you tongue a note, you can build up compression behind the tongue which allows for less precise timing between the air and embouchure. The miniature explosion of air that comes after a tongue stroke can help you to "hit" the note with a slightly less than efficient embouchure formation. Getting the balance and timing between air and embouchure to respond perfectly to the pitch and sound you are hearing in your head is the very foundation of great brass playing.

Piccolo Stomvi
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I could not find anywhere where the OP says they are not articulating the note, I'll add another possible problem.

When I first heard players talking about how most people play too high on the pitch, I started subconsciously playing lower on the pitch. This had the effect of me very slightly swooping into pitches like the OP suggests. I was essentially starting notes too low on the pitch and letting them very quickly rise to center.

Focusing on feeling the resonant sweet spot, and nailing it right in the center fixed all that for me.

Last edited by loweredsixth on Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
PhillipChaseHawkins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... Starting a note, generally across the board, do not articulate well. Tonguing the note harder does mean that you will be able to control the pitch center. Many people actually tongue too much because this is their default for being able to speed up the air. 99% of the time the tongue is fine, but the air responds too slow to the tongue, getting a dwah kind of attack. By practicing breath attacks, you want to get air and the vibration to start immediately, without any waver in the sound. When you add the tongue, you will get a much more immediate sound.

At sound point, however, the mouthpiece/horn combination can be the culprit. If the rim of the mouthpiece is too rounded on the inside, it makes articulation very fluffy. Backbores and throat sizes can greatly affect this as well. But, before addressing equipment issues, you have to practice the balance between the lip, air, and the tongue.

YTR-9445CHSII
YTR-9335CHSII
YTR-8335LA
YTR-9835
YTR-9636
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... You said warm ups are overrated when they are definitely not overrated.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... In my opinion, they are. The rest of my post went on to say long warm ups become a crutch for many, and lots of guys play their best gigs in the warm up rooms, and run out of gas before the show or gig us over....and just can't figure out why.

That 20 minute or more warm up in my opinion is a variable.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... They are my opinions ( you've paraphrased to try and shed them in a bad light) Don't like em? Don't listen to them.

Are my opinions "bad advice"?? Also that's up to you. If you've followed the posts and responses...lots of guys agreed with me, lots disagreed.

Take the good and leave the rest...but try not to be so hysterical and hypersensitive.....like a high school girl.....it's not good for your health.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting the note Reply with quote

Lie601 wrote:
Hi All,

So I have been playing for a few years now, but recently one of my peers told me that I am "swooping" into the note. Let me clarify, she said that I am not starting on the note but rather I am starting somewhere below it and sliding up to the note. How would I fix this!

Thanks!

This can be a bit irritating, but a trip to a teacher to listen to you play and provide some instruction on how to fix it would be in order.
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread edited by Moderators - personal attacks deleted. If this thread is to continue make sure subsequent posts stick to the subject - personal attacks are prohibited. And responses that could be interpreted as racist are especially prohibited. Offenders will quickly lose their posting privileges.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:

Quote:
Make sure you are actually articulating the note, not just "hoofing" into the pitch.

Air attacks .... rarely any place in trumpet playing. Every note should have a beginning and an end, and should be controlled with the tongue starting and stopping every pitch.

This makes me wonder about Chet Bakers "puffing" of notes. I think that it is beautiful and I'd love to be able to recreate that sound. Of course, he manages it without any problems with pitch. His notes have a beginning and an end. I'm not sure exactly what "hoofing" is, or an "air attack" either. Maybe you can describe those terms a little better. What is an air attack? Is that what Chet does? Is there ever a time to use that technique?

Can anybody describe how Chet articulates those soft attacks? Sometimes it sounds as if he is simply playing very softly, is playing close to a microphone and is using the microphone to provide most of the volume.

But I agree with NYC-player - you always need to articulate the notes. However, there must be different ways of doing it to produce different results. Like the OP, I'm trying to figure out what they are and how to execute them.
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP.

Play a series of quarter notes (8 second-line mf Gs at mm 60 will work) with a quarter rest in between each note. Keep the embouchure constant and do it all on one breath, stopping each note with the tongue. If there is no swooping after the first note, then that is the embouchure you want to have in place when you play the first note.

Many repetitions of this drill every day for a few weeks can get the embouchure trained to play without swooping on that first note.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah wrote:
One of the pedagogy books i recently read (can't recall which author though, sorry) talks about 'singing' the note mentally.. setting up the vocal chords etc to the right air speed etc, and then playing.

You sort of have to aim for the middle of the sound, rather than climbing up through the harmonics, if that makes sense. It is hard to do on high notes. A trick that helps me with my woodwinds, is to think about coming from above the note, and sliding down. it is sort of an over correction. and is quite effective.

The purpose of singing the note is to create a strong mental image and has nothing to do with "setting up the vocal cords or air speed"
or anything physical.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanton wrote:

If speed of air is unimportant in changing pitches, then why are tongue levels/arch critical to changing pitch? BECAUSE IT CHANGES AIR SPEED.

I teach anchor tonguing but it isn't because of any perceived change in airspeed.
I have written about it over and over and over. (Even here on the TH.)

It works for MANY reasons that all seem to add together.

The 2 that have been verified are that it directs a smaller air stream to the lips (making a smaller portion of the lip surface vibrate), and slight jaw realignments (caused by the tongue motion which realigns the air stream AND changes the lip tension.)

Which is the most important? People are not in agreement on this. But it is generally felt that all of those contribute to increased range by changing FORWARD tongue levels.

stanton wrote:

If one did not have a tongue one could not play the trumpet because one could not create acceleration/deceleration of the air stream nor focus it to the aperture.

One could play the trumpet without a tongue.
I wouldn't want to but it could certainly be done.

stanton wrote:

P.S. It is my opinion that one of the reasons that trumpet players have problems, particularly endurance problems is because they depend on embouchure movement far more than required.

I completely agree with that. But not just endurance, resonance is diminished too.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

Mouthpiece buzz scales (ON pitch).
You buzz OFF of pitch and then you hear what comes out and you try to correct then note after the sound is happening.

That is what a scoop or swoop is.

Work on mouthpiece buzzing the note that you really wanted to play.
That will cure you faster than anything else that could be done.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
stanton wrote:
The reason an airplane gets lift is because, due to the shape of the wing, the SHAPE causes the air to move FASTER over the top of the wing than the bottom.

The debunked "Bernoilli myth" explanation for how an airfoil works has been abandoned by wing designers, but it seems to hang on in trumpet circles.

Well, it's more complicated than simply dismissing Bernoulli. One might apply this uncertainty to tongue level. Or one might not.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/no-one-can-explain-why-planes-stay-in-the-air/
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: