• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Starting the note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you aware of the fact that you responded to a seven year old thread?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Are you aware of the fact that you responded to a seven year old thread?

Took a long time to start the tone.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting the note Reply with quote

Lie601 wrote:
Hi All,

So I have been playing for a few years now, but recently one of my peers told me that I am "swooping" into the note. Let me clarify, she said that I am not starting on the note but rather I am starting somewhere below it and sliding up to the note. How would I fix this!

Thanks!

It sounds like you're swopping into a note when you try to match another note like the tuning note.
Instead, when you're at home, set your tuning slide to about a 1/4", then just play a note, no matter whether it's in tune or note. Just get used to playing it clearly, with no swooping. Use your core, and try "hoo" breath attacks as well. Play that note a number of times, as in a couple of bars of quarter notes.

Once you've gotten that, get out the tuner. Play the note again with eyes closed, make sure it's steady and feels centered, then look at the tuner. DO NOT SWOOP INTO IT. Move the tuning slide. Try again. Always play cleanly with good tone.

Then when it's time to match with somebody else, just play the note cleanly as you're been practising, even if it ends up out of tune with the one you're trying to match. Let them tell you whether you should push in or pullout. Ideally, push in or pull out without their prompting, but hey, one thing at a time.[/i]
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Starting the note Reply with quote

mograph wrote:
Lie601 wrote:
Hi All,

So I have been playing for a few years now, but recently one of my peers told me that I am "swooping" into the note. Let me clarify, she said that I am not starting on the note but rather I am starting somewhere below it and sliding up to the note. How would I fix this!

Thanks!

It sounds like you're swopping into a note when you try to match another note like the tuning note.
Instead, when you're at home, set your tuning slide to about a 1/4", then just play a note, no matter whether it's in tune or note. Just get used to playing it clearly, with no swooping. Use your core, and try "hoo" breath attacks as well. Play that note a number of times, as in a couple of bars of quarter notes.

Once you've gotten that, get out the tuner. Play the note again with eyes closed, make sure it's steady and feels centered, then look at the tuner. DO NOT SWOOP INTO IT. Move the tuning slide. Try again. Always play cleanly with good tone.

Then when it's time to match with somebody else, just play the note cleanly as you're been practising, even if it ends up out of tune with the one you're trying to match. Let them tell you whether you should push in or pullout. Ideally, push in or pull out without their prompting, but hey, one thing at a time.[/i]

The last date that the OP posted to a TH thread was July 22, 2017.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/search.php?search_author=Lie601

Rumor has it that he sold his horn the next day and moved to Nantucket to design airplane wings based on Bernoulli's principle, which he learned from this thread.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Starting the note Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:

The last date that the OP posted to a TH thread was July 22, 2017.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/search.php?search_author=Lie601

Rumor has it that he sold his horn the next day and moved to Nantucket to design airplane wings based on Bernoulli's principle, which he learned from this thread.

Yeah, I should have checked the date. (sigh)
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: