• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

thoughts on denis wick 4X?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beeflat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: thoughts on denis wick 4X? Reply with quote

Hey there...first post for me here.

I got a Denis Wick 4X recently. It performs well in the lower registers, with great flexibility and an open sound.

From High C and up, it cuts like a razor, responds great and is plenty loud. However, the sound is not "Fat", rather very focused. Is this the norm for this mouthpiece? I've only been using it for a few days but wanted to get some impressions/thoughts.

Thanks so much![/i]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH! I think you'll find that people have had mixed experience with Wick. I love their new Heritage series for cornet but have never lliked their trumpet pieces. But that's like saying I prefer Eccos over Timberlands. It's all about what fits your feet...or your chops.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Beeflat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome message!

I didn't really expect to have the 4X work for me, since my norm is a Bach 1C. But, this is the first time I've ventured outside "C" territory, and man am I ever digging the cushion rim. The range and flexibility the moutpiece provide are great, but around E above high C and up it seems to go from a rounded to a much more cutting tone.

Just wondering if it's the norm for this kind of piece. I'd like to make playing broadway-type stuff easier on the chops at the end of the night, but I don't want to be trying to fill a theater with a laser beam.

Does it sound like I'm on a mouthpiece safari? Maybe...just maybe.
amymustijujitsumyma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for what its worth, i've just received one of these mps and am having a similar experience!! out of interest would you say you have thin, average or maybe slightly larger lips? i ask nly because of the slightly larger diameter, i get on really well with this piece but have a pal who hates it, and i have also been told more than once that my lips are deffo a little larger than average so i kinda feel that's a deciding factor ( from my field research of one other trumpeter! lol)
amymustijujitsumyma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'mon the mouthpiece safari!! for me the heavytop 4x has completed my search though i am pleased to say
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: