• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha trumpets and mouthpiece gap

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Yamaha trumpets and mouthpiece gap Reply with quote

Hi

I have a second generation Yamaha YTR-8335 Xeno trumpet.

I can't personally get it to play well for me with my stock Bach 3C mouthpieces which insert 24mm in the receiver.

It however plays great for me with a Kanstul copy of my Bach 3C, sleeved by forum member Mike Prestage to insert 25mm.

25mm just happens to be the insertion amount of the supplied Yamaha 16C4 mouthpiece.

I am wondering about a few things:

1. My Bach 3C also inserts 24mm in my Bach 37. Do Bach mouthpieces made since 2000 generally insert 24mm in Bach and Yamaha trumpets, or are the ones that I have (all from around 2005) atypical? My mid 1990s Bach 7C inserts 25mm.

2. Have other Yamaha trumpet players found that Bach mouthpieces with larger shanks which insert less far, play less well for them in their Yamaha trumpet, or is the greater insertion amount of Bach mouthpieces with smaller shanks just what works best for me personally on my Yamaha trumpet?

3. Yamaha trumpet players who have had their mouthpiece sleeved, which size please works well for you with a middle of the road mouthpiece such as a Bach C cup?

Many Thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou, I'll get the ball rolling... I have never made any measurements, just a bit on side-by-side comparisons of "stock" mouthpieces.. I do find that the recievers from Yamaha to Bach are generally different and that the mouthpieces correspondingly so.

-edited to correct myself-
So, IMO Yamaha mouthpieces fit too far into Bach trumpets and Bach mouthpieces not far enough into Yamaha trumpets. Ever so slightly.
Like I wrote, not a scientific study but a comparison of the mouthpieces I have in my somewhat large collection and various trumpets I've had access to over the years.
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaferis...... that is generally backwards

bachs are bigger about .385

yamaha are about .383

variation exists of course, but bachs generally have about .040 more gap

a reeves sleeve 4 is about .060 more gap than a reeves 5 sleeve

its more likely for a bach piece to work with a yamaha than a yamaha piece to work with a bach.

everyone is different of course, this is just general stuff that applies about 7 out of ten times.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,
Not sure I have an answer for your question but I have been waiting for someone to bring up the gap issue on the new Chicago models.

For whatever reason Yamaha changed the mouthpiece receiver position rather drastically on the new Chicago. (At least on the Bb, I have not checked a C) The first generation usually required the GR pieces to have a slightly larger shank (.388) for the best gap for me which was about .150-160. The 2nd generation is the exact opposite and the same shank will create a gap of slightly over .200". That is a considerable change. A standard Bach is measuring close to .150 on my Chicago. I sent an inquiry to Wayne Tanabe but I did not receive a reply. In the past I have found the folks at Yamaha somewhat hesitant to discuss gap issues for some reason.

FWIW- I have not found any huge draw back to playing with the very large gap. Upper register is a bit more work but slotting, pitch and articulations have seemed fine. Anyone else have experience playing with a larger than normal gap? The piece I have been using is quite deep--a GR E65VB with a #3 backbore.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR will be offering two shanks with the new Eric Miyashiro Series GR Mouthpieces; .385" and .387". We are just working out how many of each for the first run with Eric!

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realized that I jumped the gun...was thinking the Chicago is the 8335 when it is the 9335. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

In measuring a new Xeno compared to a new Chicago, the Xeno has about .045" less gap.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
Zaferis...... that is generally backwards

yamaha are about .383

its more likely for a bach piece to work with a yamaha than a yamaha piece to work with a bach.

everyone is different of course, this is just general stuff that applies about 7 out of ten times.

Man, I must have been tired... you are correct, I completely wrote that backwards... thanks for the catch..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking current Bach pieces or older?

DB
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

So, IMO Yamaha mouthpieces fit too far into Bach trumpets and Bach mouthpieces not far enough into Yamaha trumpets.

Hi zaferis

Thank you very much for your reply. I totally agree with the above part of your post, and just cannot get a Bach mouthpiece to work for me on my Yamaha trumpet, unless sleeved to insert like a Yamaha mouthpiece.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:

yamaha are about .383

Hi Doug

Thank you very much for the above. I've found exactly what you say, that my Bach 3C inserts 0.040" (1mm) less far into the receiver of my Yamaha trumpet, than the supplied Yamaha 16C4 mouthpiece.

Thank you very much for this.

To be honest, I find the other way round. I can get a Bach mouthpiece sleeved to insert like a Yamaha mouthpiece to work in my Bach trumpet, although I admittedly have only tried it very briefly (my initial thoughts are that upper register slotting seems a little less secure, making accurate upper register entries a little more difficult), but I just cannot get a standard Bach mouthpiece to work in my Yamaha trumpet.

I couldn't agree more, and I appear to be in the other 3 out of 10.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
Just realized that I jumped the gun...was thinking the Chicago is the 8335 when it is the 9335. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

In measuring a new Xeno compared to a new Chicago, the Xeno has about .045" less gap.

Hi ScottA

No problems, thank you very much for your input anyhow. I have no experience with the new Chicago or how an individual player's preferred gap on a new Chicago would compare to the same player's preferred gap on a new Xeno.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
Are we talking current Bach pieces or older?

DB

Hi DB

I'm personally talking about mid 2000 Bach pieces. My mid 1990s Bach 7C inserts the same as a modern Yamaha mouthpiece, whereas my mid 2000 Bach mouthpieces insert 0.040" (1mm) less.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:

yamaha are about .383

Hi

0.040" is 64% of a whole sleeve size (see below taken from the Bob Reeves website), and quite a difference in gap in my opinion, especially since many manufacturers offer half sleeve sizes and some a quarter:

The change in gap from one sleeve size to the next is .0625" (1/16 inch). Sleeves are available in half sizes allowing for gap adjustments of .0313 (1/32 inch) and quarter sizes allowing gap adjustments of .0151 (1/64 inch).

I have both a Yamaha trumpet and cornet, and find that both work best with the gap of a Yamaha mouthpiece. In practice I am currently using a sleeved copy of a Kanstul B10 backbore on trumpet (which I have a feeling ended up sleeved back to what it was originally (I won't bore you with the details), so probably basically a Kanstul B10 trumpet backbore) and a standard Kanstul B10 backbore on cornet. The trumpet backbore inserts the same as the supplied Yamaha 16C4 trumpet mouthpiece, and the cornet backbore the same as a Yamaha 16E cornet mouthpiece.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kandor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Louise Finch,
I believe that measuring the total insertion on a mpc into a receiver gives you essentially a meaningless number. It depends on receiver design and wear, combined with mpc shank design and wear.
What you probably want is measuring the gap between the end of you mpc and the beginning of the leadpipe. That is usually in the range 0...6 millimeters.
If you don't mind, here is my homemade method using a toothpick. The measurement is not really accurate, but allows you to do some pretty good comparisons:

First cut a tootpick 90 degrees to create a flat end:

Then insert it in the receiver while keeping it in contact with the wall, until it stops at the leadpipe edge. Measure the insertion:

Insert the mouthpiece and measure the insertion, what you already did:

And finally superimposing the two measurements you see the gap:
[/img]

I hope this can help, that was what I was doing before finally buying a digital caliper.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kandor wrote:
Dear Louise Finch,
I believe that measuring the total insertion on a mpc into a receiver gives you essentially a meaningless number. It depends on receiver design and wear, combined with mpc shank design and wear.
What you probably want is measuring the gap between the end of you mpc and the beginning of the leadpipe. That is usually in the range 0...6 millimeters.
If you don't mind, here is my homemade method using a toothpick. The measurement is not really accurate, but allows you to do some pretty good comparisons:

First cut a tootpick 90 degrees to create a flat end:

Then insert it in the receiver while keeping it in contact with the wall, until it stops at the leadpipe edge. Measure the insertion:

Insert the mouthpiece and measure the insertion, what you already did:

And finally superimposing the two measurements you see the gap:
[/img]

I hope this can help, that was what I was doing before finally buying a digital caliper.

Hi Kandor

Thank you very much for the above, which is really appreciated. To be honest, I knew this already and have done this previously on various horns. I've also done a lot of experimentation with Jim New's gap modulator.

Although mouthpieces insert the same distance in both my Bach and Yamaha trumpets, the actual gap is probably different. Technically my Bach doesn't have a gap anyhow. I bought it used from a UK trumpet maker who had replaced the leadpipe. I only noticed when I did exactly what you suggest and couldn't get the toothpick to stop at the leadpipe ledge however much I tried, that there is no leadpipe ledge, just a smooth ring where the leadpipe meets the mouthpiece receiver, like on my cornets, which also don't have an actual gap. I've contacted the trumpet maker, but he cannot remember 10 years along the line and offered to look at my trumpet. To be honest, I don't think it is worth the long journey, finding childcare, my time or his time, just for curiosity, as I'm not planning on doing anything about it. I'm certain that I am right about my trumpet, as it is easy to measure the gap on my Xeno trumpet and Bach cornet, and I have had a pretty good look down the leadpipe of my Bach trumpet, and have confirmed via extensively rubbing over the ring in the leadpipe with a cotton bud (according to Wikipedia, these are called cotton swabs in the US lol or Q-tips after a popular brand, like we call vacuum cleaners hoovers), that there is definitely no ledge at all, just a ring which is flush to both the leadpipe and mouthpiece receiver. Weird!

I fully appreciate that there are differences in the exit wall thickness of mouthpieces and whether or not there is any chamfer to the inside of the end of the shank etc., but I have honestly found that irrespective of all this, that comparing insertion amount with different mouthpieces on the same horn works well enough.

Thanks very much anyhow for going to all the trouble of posting pictures, which I do really appreciate.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Blancolate
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting topic.

I play mostly an Eric Miyashiro Yamaha trumpet and play it with a Bach 3D cut for Bob Reeves Sleeves. I use a 5.25 sleeve.

This is a great horn but intonation can be tricky.....I can sometimes even feel a very slight movement in the receiver.

According to the numbers or the experience you guys may have had, which Bob Reeves sleeve should work best with Yamaha?

Thank you
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blancolate wrote:
Very interesting topic.

Hi Blancolate

Thanks very much.

I play mostly an Eric Miyashiro Yamaha trumpet and play it with a Bach 3D cut for Bob Reeves Sleeves. I use a 5.25 sleeve.

Thanks for sharing which sleeve you use.

This is a great horn but intonation can be tricky.....I can sometimes even feel a very slight movement in the receiver.

I have no experience with the Eric Miyashiro Yamaha trumpet, but find that with the right gap, the 2nd generation Xeno has very good intonation.

According to the numbers or the experience you guys may have had, which Bob Reeves sleeve should work best with Yamaha?

I don't yet know. The one sleeve I have is a no numbered one made by a UK tech when I was playing my Bach 37. I had a standard Kanstul B10 trumpet backbore and although it overall played ok in my Bach trumpet, it didn't slot very well in the upper register, and when I had upper register entries or large interval jumps into the upper register (I'm only talking about G at the top of the stave up to about high D), I sometimes found it difficult to even find the slot of the note not alone its centre, which is unusual for me, as I don't generally experience any problems with accurate pitching or finding the centre of the note in the upper register. My understanding is that Kanstul backbores insert like Schilke mouthpieces. I therefore had it sleeved to insert like a Bach mouthpiece. It however inserts 1mm more (25mm rather than 24mm) than my Bach mouthpiece, and I never used it until I bought my Xeno II, on which it has turned out to be absolutely great.

Jim New has made me some more backbores (if it is of any interest to anyone, Jim New's backbores from his new James R New mouthpiece range insert like Bach mouthpieces) and is going to cut them for sleeves. I am currently working with him to ascertain which sleeve size best replicates the sleeve I am currently using. If I didn't live in the UK and wasn't unable to spare my mouthpiece for a couple of weeks, I'd send it to Jim New to measure.

He is going to send me some sleeves to try. Once I find out what works best for me, I'll post it on here.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As a quick update, Jim New kindly sent me two #6, two #6.5 and two #7 sleeves to try with my new cut for sleeves backbores.

After quite a bit of experimentation, I'm going with the #6.5s on my 2nd generation Yamaha Xeno.

I'm not sure how Jim New's sleeves compare to Reeves sleeves, I'm guessing they size very similarly, but his #6.5 gaps very similarly to a Kanstul B series trumpet backbore (which I have always understood to gap equivalently to a Reeves 6.5 sleeve, which suggests that Reeves and James R New sleeve sizes are the same) and the supplied Yamaha 16C4 mouthpiece.

All the best

Lou

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly I am missing something here, I always thought that the insertion depth simply fixed the mouthpiece in the same position each time in the receiver, and the location of the mouthpiece then creates the length of the tube from mouthpiece throat to bell within which the wavelengths of the sound waves can propagate.

The tuning slide then can adjust the effective length of the tube and therefore the pitch.

In effect if two mouthpieces sit in radically different depths in the receiver such that one is 10mm deeper than the other, simply pulling the main tuning slide 5mm should compensate and correct the discrepancy and make the tube length the same and therefore the pitch would be made to be the same.

As we are dealing (so I thought) with a simple tube adjusted by tuning slides to any incremental length we desire, doesnt the depth the mouthpiece sit in the receiver become irrelevant if one can adjust the tuning slide to fully and entirely compensate for any differences of depth of the mouthpiece?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Clearly I am missing something here, I always thought that the insertion depth simply fixed the mouthpiece in the same position each time in the receiver, and the location of the mouthpiece then creates the length of the tube from mouthpiece throat to bell within which the wavelengths of the sound waves can propagate.

The tuning slide then can adjust the effective length of the tube and therefore the pitch.

In effect if two mouthpieces sit in radically different depths in the receiver such that one is 10mm deeper than the other, simply pulling the main tuning slide 5mm should compensate and correct the discrepancy and make the tube length the same and therefore the pitch would be made to be the same.

As we are dealing (so I thought) with a simple tube adjusted by tuning slides to any incremental length we desire, doesnt the depth the mouthpiece sit in the receiver become irrelevant if one can adjust the tuning slide to fully and entirely compensate for any differences of depth of the mouthpiece?

Hi Bflatman

Welcome to the forum and joining in the discussions on here.

No, it sadly isn't as simple as this. I'm not considering how much of the mouthpiece is sitting above the end of the mouthpiece receiver or the total length of the mouthpiece and mouthpiece receiver/leadpipe.

With most trumpets and some cornets, the mouthpiece receiver is mounted to the outside of leadpipe in such a way, that the leadpipe ends inside the mouthpiece receiver. If you look down the mouthpiece receiver with a small torch (flashlight), you will see the lip of top of the leadpipe.

When you put your trumpet mouthpiece into the receiver, your mouthpiece probably will most probably not butt against the top of this leadpipe owing to there being a gap between the end of the mouthpiece and start of the leadpipe.

Varying this gap, by altering the insertion amount of the mouthpiece (amongst other ways) makes subtle changes to blow resistance, slotting and intonation.

This is an interesting read and it explains it better than I ever could:

http://stomvi-usa.com/learn-about-the-annulus-gap/

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: