• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha trumpets and mouthpiece gap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.

I understand now and thanks for that explanation of the issue but it opens another topic.

I come from an engineers background and the gap you mention is simply a requirement of a taper. Without a gap the taper cannot hold the pieces together securely.

And furthermore, shallow tapers such as those on mouthpieces - and what I mean by shallow is a taper close to parallel but not parallel, thus allowing a snug mechanical fit, will over time adjust the seating position with wear, and the inner piece (in this case the mouthpiece) will sit progressively deeper into the outer piece over time.

The design of the taper is such that wear that happens over time between the two parts that mate is expected and designed into the whole system.

If there was little or no gap to begin with then things would be fine for a year or two but then as the taper mating surfaces wear, the gap would eventually entirely disappear and then the parts would never properly mate again.

Katherine Derksen has reported that many conn trumpet mouthpieces over time have experienced wear and the receiver has indeed been reshaped due to this wear between mouthpiece and receiver. So it does really happen and has been observed.

I myself have a trumpet from the 1930's in which some trumpet mouthpieces now no longer fit but simply bottom out in the receiver when they hit the end of the leadpipe. These mouthpieces then rattle and fall out, because the taper just doesnt work any more.

Is there a solution if zero gap is acceptable, how many years would it be acceptable for tapers to work, and what do we do when the inevitable happens and the mouthpieces never fit again, do we have a new receiver fitted every 10 years or so. Or should we now change instrument design and either fit receivers inside leadpipes so the issue goes away.

Should we instead consider a system of shims, or inner replaceable rings to take up this gap and swap them as the wear happens.

But then I swap mouthpieces to achieve different tone colours, and there is a difference between these mouthpieces in how deep they sit in the receiver.

I am not sure of the way forward on this, what are your thoughts.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tapers are parallel, it is going to take a very long time to wear significantly. If the tapers are not parallel it will wear much faster.

There are receivers that are slightly the wrong taper, and mouthpieces that are wrong, so an old horn could have lots of possible issues. Having said that, the most common issue with an old horn receivr is that it might not be round. Especially old conns where the receiver is made of tubing instead of turned from stock (22B etc). Those receivers if they are out of round are hard to fix cuz if you tap them round with a hammer they sing right back in a little bit of time, or instantly. you have to ream them and your reamer needs to be modified on the end. or replace the receiver of course. Sometimes hard to do.
Connstellations (38b, 36b, 10b, 6b) don't have receivers that come off. Its all just one piece of electroformed copper. Its hard to get some people to believe that though. There is no way to replace the receiver on those. those are almost always in great shape though cuz the tapers were right when made, and the nickel plating inside is really really hard and wear resistant.

if you ream it, then its straight, but too big, and then you need to sleeve the shank.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
TrumpetDan79
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Louise,

Might I give you a different take on this? YAMAHA gaps, especially on the newer models like the 8335, are set to a specific dimension. Since you described the mouthpiece insertion measurement as being very similar in mm, might I suggest you take the trumpet to a YAMAHA technician to get an adjustment?

Unless the insertion amount is out of the ordinary, the gap might not be an issue. Every player has a different resistance need.

1. Try testing the sound and response by "clocking" the mouthpiece 1/4 turn. Does one position sound and feel better? When you find it, memorize where the mouthpiece is.

2. The waterkey screw on the main tuning slide can add/take away vibration from the trumpet, and increase/decrease some resistance. Make sure it is all the way tightened. Play. Make a judgement. Then loosen slightly until you find a sweet spot for resonance.

3. Valve alignment greatly affects resistance inside the trumpet. I don't believe in "zero-ing" out the valves on principle, and only align the valves to the point where the trumpet plays fine for ME.

I just wanted to offer you a different viewpoint, one that might save you a bundle. Once you have a mouthpiece modified for a sleeve, you can't reverse the process.

However, this is a very personal decision, so you must employ the best solution you see fit.

Hope this helps,

Daniel
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Thanks for the welcome.

You are very welcome.

I understand now and thanks for that explanation of the issue but it opens another topic.

I come from an engineers background and the gap you mention is simply a requirement of a taper. Without a gap the taper cannot hold the pieces together securely.

Thank you very much for this. To be honest I have no knowledge or understanding of this.

And furthermore, shallow tapers such as those on mouthpieces - and what I mean by shallow is a taper close to parallel but not parallel, thus allowing a snug mechanical fit, will over time adjust the seating position with wear, and the inner piece (in this case the mouthpiece) will sit progressively deeper into the outer piece over time.

I'm really not sure of this. My limited understanding is wear is predominantly caused by a mismatch in the taper of the mouthpiece and the taper of the mouthpiece receiver. I have no understanding to be honest why mouthpieces even have a taper. I presume if they were a straight tube, rather than seat owing to a taper, they would presumably drop down until they rested on the top of the leadpipe without seating securely at all.

The design of the taper is such that wear that happens over time between the two parts that mate is expected and designed into the whole system.

I'm not sure whether wear is designed into this particular system.

If there was little or no gap to begin with then things would be fine for a year or two but then as the taper mating surfaces wear, the gap would eventually entirely disappear and then the parts would never properly mate again.

I just don't have enough engineering knowledge to really comment on this. I simply don't understand what you mean by, "Without a gap the taper cannot hold the pieces together securely." I'm not remotely disputing what you say, just saying that I don't understand. Are you saying that the gap is build into the system to allow for wear, so that you don't end up with the situation where a mouthpiece no longer seats? I just don't know. I've never thought of it. My understanding is that the Bach trumpet/Bach mouthpiece combination is designed to have a 1/8" gap, whereas the Schilke trumpet/Schilke mouthpiece combination is designed to have no gap, but they have the same taper.

Whatever way they were designed, I believe that gap really does make a difference.

Katherine Derksen has reported that many conn trumpet mouthpieces over time have experienced wear and the receiver has indeed been reshaped due to this wear between mouthpiece and receiver. So it does really happen and has been observed.

I myself have a trumpet from the 1930's in which some trumpet mouthpieces now no longer fit but simply bottom out in the receiver when they hit the end of the leadpipe. These mouthpieces then rattle and fall out, because the taper just doesnt work any more.

Is there a solution if zero gap is acceptable, how many years would it be acceptable for tapers to work, and what do we do when the inevitable happens and the mouthpieces never fit again, do we have a new receiver fitted every 10 years or so. Or should we now change instrument design and either fit receivers inside leadpipes so the issue goes away.

Should we instead consider a system of shims, or inner replaceable rings to take up this gap and swap them as the wear happens.

But then I swap mouthpieces to achieve different tone colours, and there is a difference between these mouthpieces in how deep they sit in the receiver.

I am not sure of the way forward on this, what are your thoughts.

I'm not really sure. If the mouthpiece is put in carefully without being screwed in hard to seat, I believe that if the tapers between the mouthpiece and mouthpiece receiver match well, wear should be minimal, and I really can't see any need for mouthpiece receivers to need replacing as often as every ten years. I would have thought that whether a mouthpiece receiver needs replacing at all, depends on the age of the trumpet and how much use it has had, the make/model of trumpet, the make of mouthpieces primarily used in the trumpet, how well their tapers match, and probably more so on how its owner/owners have put mouthpieces in.

Or are you referring to the need for a replacement mouthpiece receiver every ten years or so only if there was zero gap to begin with? I simply don't know. There are plenty of players playing Schilke trumpets with Schilke mouthpieces. I suppose a good tech would know whether these players require replacement mouthpiece receivers more often/sooner.

An interesting topic for a discussion, thanks, but not being from an engineering background, I'm not sure that I have much more to add.

Thanks very much anyhow. It is great to have a new member interested in contributing to the knowledge base on here, and sharing their experience.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetDan79 wrote:
Hi Louise,

Hi Daniel

Thank you very much, but I'm not sure I understand. If you don't mind me asking, I'll explain what I mean by asking some questions in the body of your text below.

Might I give you a different take on this? YAMAHA gaps, especially on the newer models like the 8335, are set to a specific dimension.

But to a specific dimension with what? A Yamaha mouthpiece? If so, since the supplied Yamaha 16C4 mouthpiece inserts around 25.2mm in the receiver, and the gap is set to a specific dimension, doesn't it make sense to do what I have done, and sleeve my mouthpiece to maintain this gap? It does with my level of understanding, but maybe I am not understanding fully.

Since you described the mouthpiece insertion measurement as being very similar in mm,

Sorry, similar to what? Are you referring to the fact that I mention my original Bach 3C inserting 24mm, mouthpieces which play well inserting 25mm, and that this is a very similar measurement in mm? If so, a 1mm (0.040") difference in gap is greater than one half sleeve size, and I personally don't consider this to be very similar. I'm probably misunderstanding the point which you are making.

might I suggest you take the trumpet to a YAMAHA technician to get an adjustment?

Sorry, an adjustment to what? The mouthpiece or mouthpiece receiver

Unless the insertion amount is out of the ordinary, the gap might not be an issue. Every player has a different resistance need.

I fully understand what you are saying.

1. Try testing the sound and response by "clocking" the mouthpiece 1/4 turn. Does one position sound and feel better? When you find it, memorize where the mouthpiece is.

2. The waterkey screw on the main tuning slide can add/take away vibration from the trumpet, and increase/decrease some resistance. Make sure it is all the way tightened. Play. Make a judgement. Then loosen slightly until you find a sweet spot for resonance.

3. Valve alignment greatly affects resistance inside the trumpet. I don't believe in "zero-ing" out the valves on principle, and only align the valves to the point where the trumpet plays fine for ME.

I just wanted to offer you a different viewpoint, one that might save you a bundle. Once you have a mouthpiece modified for a sleeve, you can't reverse the process.

However, this is a very personal decision, so you must employ the best solution you see fit.

I really appreciate you offering me an alternative viewpoint. I'm very sorry to ask questions, and I mean nothing more than genuinely wishing to understand what you are saying.

I haven't had my original mouthpiece modified for sleeves. Rather I have modular top copies and have had new backbores made and cut for sleeves by Jim New. I've found that his #6.5 sleeve plays best for me, and measuring the insertion amount afterwards, I found not unsurprisingly since this has always been the case, that his #6.5 sleeve inserts virtually identically to the supplied Yamaha 16C4.

I agree that I could look at waterkey screw tension and valve alignment, and other ways of adjusting the resistance, but going back to your first paragraph, if YAMAHA gaps, especially on the newer models like the 8335, are set to a specific dimension, shouldn't I try to maintain this specific dimension?

Hope this helps,

Daniel

Thank you very much for your very thoughtful post. To be honest, whether or not I've done this the right way, I am happy with the solution I've found. Jim New's #6.5 sleeves are playing great and the resistance seems just right.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not hard to believe that Yamaha design their mpcs and horns to work together in the best posible way.

So if you want to use another different mpc in a Yamaha trumpet, you have to make sure yourself that it also works in the best posible way.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
It is not hard to believe that Yamaha design their mpcs and horns to work together in the best posible way.

So if you want to use another different mpc in a Yamaha trumpet, you have to make sure yourself that it also works in the best posible way.

Yes, I completely agree.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:

Yamaha mouthpieces existed before the invention of the artist model (I mention the artist model because you mention it in another thread). The Artist models were not developed with Yamaha mouthpieces, but rather the mouthpieces of the artists at the time. The Chicago would have likely been developed with a Parke (Hagstrom) and one that is not YOUR cup depth or rim size.

So, your conclusion is a bit off the mark. Many pros play Yamaha with Stomvi, Bach (Mt. Vernon even), Yamaha, Stork, GR, etc., with plenty of success. People make gap a bigger issue than it is (unless it's an actual issue).
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that with my Bach 3C that inserts around 24mm in the receiver of my Yamaha Xeno II, it played stuffy and even sounded slightly stuffy. I experimented with the James R New gap modulator, and sleeves, and found that in my opinion, the Xeno II is pretty gap sensitive. Whereas my Bach 37 plays well for me within a wider gap range, I found the Xeno II to have a narrow sweet spot gap range within which the trumpet suddenly opened up in terms of response and sound, and literally came alive in my hand. This for me was with a gap that replicated that of a Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece, and I honestly do not think that this is a coincidence.

Just to clarify, this is on a Xeno II, I’ve never played an Artist series so have no idea regarding them, and although everybody’s mileage will vary, I personally will stand by my gap findings for me on my Xeno II.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
this for me was with a gap that replicated that of a Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece

Once again, you cannot try 2 different mouthpieces and draw any definitive conclusions.

For clarity, are you saying that your stock Bach 3C was then cut for the James R sleeves and then that SAME 3C played better with a slightly different gap?

Regardless, I am happy you found something that works for you. But the inductive reasoning, while valid for you, cannot be made a universal statement.

NB: I am not arguing that different gaps do not affect the playing experience. There are a ton of tiny things that affect the playing experience. I am arguing against the conclusions drawn in these cases.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
this for me was with a gap that replicated that of a Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece

Once again, you cannot try 2 different mouthpieces and draw any definitive conclusions.

You do lol like to imply that I'm wrong, don't you.

For clarity, are you saying that your stock Bach 3C was then cut for the James R sleeves and then that SAME 3C played better with a slightly different gap?

I am practically. To clarify, when I tried my ex-demo Xeno in October 2015 on 2 weeks approval, I tried it with my stock 2005 Bach 3C, that I had previously sent to Jim New to have copied, as the rim had for some reason developed loads of micro scratches that raw brass was showing through (possibly owing to a previous mouthpiece pouch, or maybe the plating was not great in the first place). My copies that I keep in a replacement mouthpiece pouch, still look new.

I was almost ready to send back my Xeno II, then I thought to try it with a Kanstul copy of the cup end of my Bach 3C combined with a Kanstul B10 backbore cut for sleeves by Mike Prestage of this forum, and his custom sleeve. The custom sleeve inserts 1mm more than my 2005 Bach 3C, and replicates the insertion amount of two different Yamaha mouthpieces that I have.

BUT, BUT, BUT.............

I didn't stay with this sleeved B10 backbore, as it was in raw brass.

By this time, Jim New already had his own James R New mouthpiece business, and I had him make me his version of a standard Bach 10 backbore cut for sleeves, and I experimented with sleeves, giving a gap from equivalent to my original Bach 3C to that of my two Yamaha mouthpieces to greater. He also kindly sent me a backbore to try with his gap modulator, and I experimented with gap on my Xeno II with this. Whether with sleeves or with the gap modulator, when I found the sweet spot gap range on my Xeno II, it was with an insertion amount equivalent to both my Yamaha trumpet mouthpieces.

SO TO CONCLUDE.

Originally it was not with the exact same mouthpiece, but I soon after replicated my findings on the exact same mouthpiece. Same top in all cases, same backbore for all the different sleeves, same backbore obviously for all adjustments with the gap modulator.

Having done the same experiment twice over, once with the gap modulator and once with sleeves, both times with the same mouthpiece throughout, I feel that I have replicated my findings.

Regardless, I am happy you found something that works for you.

Thanks very much.

But the inductive reasoning, while valid for you, cannot be made a universal statement.

In all fairness, I did say:
I personally will stand by my gap findings for me on my Xeno II.

But, it has been typed a fair few times on this forum by different posters that a typical Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece inserts 1mm on average further than an average (I won't use the word typical with Bach mouthpieces lol) reasonably modern Bach mouthpiece. My personal experience is that older Bach mouthpieces from the 1980s and at least earlier/middle part of the 1990s insert like Yamaha trumpet mouthpieces, and that by the mid 2000s, Bach mouthpieces had started inserting around 1mm less. I can only say that this is my experience with the limited number of mouthpieces I've measured that I've owned or have been owned by my colleagues. I've found that this applies comparatively to Bach and Yamaha cornet mouthpieces, and I've measured a lot of cornet mouthpieces.

You may argue that a Yamaha mouthpiece is different to a Bach mouthpiece, but the cup end of for example a Yamaha 14B4 maps almost perfectly over the cup end of a Bach 3C, the Yamaha c backbore is probably along the lines of a Bach 10, and the exit wall thickness from memory is pretty similar for Bach and Yamaha, as is their weight and blank style.

But, even with all this, no a Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece is not a Bach mouthpiece, but I think that most people would agree that a Yamaha mouthpiece should be a reasonable match for a Yamaha trumpet. I'm saying no more or no less than if you take a copy of a Bach 3C and sleeve it to insert like a Yamaha mouthpiece, that in my opinion it opens up the blow and I feel that this is an improvement. If a player likes a stock Bach mouthpiece on a Yamaha trumpet, of course fine, but if it is one that inserts more like 24mm than 25mm, and they feel that it is stuffy, I stand by my suggestion to have the mouthpiece cut for sleeves and dial in the gap. If they find that a reduction in gap of around 1mm improves the blow and response, I would not be at all surprised.

NB: I am not arguing that different gaps do not affect the playing experience. There are a ton of tiny things that affect the playing experience. I am arguing against the conclusions drawn in these cases.

Since I said, "I personally will stand by my gap findings for me on my Xeno II.", I don't really think that there is anything to argue against, but you are of course entitled to your opinion.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Thank you very much for your post.

May be the GAP in a Yamaha Xeno gen 2 is not the same than the GAP in an Yamaha Artist model New York Gen 3 that I have when in both we use a Yamaha mouthpiece.
BUT probably in both, is the best or a very good GAP for the majority of players in that different horn.

I just checked two Yamaha mouthpieces with my Yamaha Artist model New York Gen 3, and both insert 27 mm into the receiver.

So the next step is to check with other Mpc brands.

My point s not that the only good possibility is to play same mpc brand than the trumpet brand, is that if you want to avoid mistakes, spend lot of money, think a lot, study a lot about it.... is the best option to keep things great and simple.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
if you want to avoid mistakes

Making mistakes is part of learning. Being afraid to make a wrong choice can also prevent someone from making the right choice, or even make a choice at all. It's good not to obsess over things, that's usually where these kind of issues/discussions become un- or counterproductive. But I'd caution anyone to just follow advice blindly, even good advice.

Lou's reasoning about shipping a horn with a mouthpiece that works reasonably well makes a lot of sense, especially when considering quality brands. Whether that's due to the mouthpieces, the receivers or the gap is an interesting experiment, though it has yet to be ruled out that there aren't combinations with different gaps that play equally well or better. Abandontrumpet is correct in pointing out that there's a large burden of proof for blanket statements, and for relating cause and effect. It seems to me that Lou has worded her posts carefully enough to emphasize any findings in it are anecdotal though.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Artist model New York Gen 3

The new mpc I bought them a month ago, but how knows how much time they were in the shop....
My way of measuring is not completely perfect.

How many mm each mpc goes inside:

Yamaha 17B4 included with the horn: 26 mm
Yamaha 14C4 GP (new) : 27 mm
Yamaha 14B4 (new) : 27 mm

BACH 3C big letters from 27 years ago. : 25,5 mm
BACH 1/2 C small lets from 32 years ago : 25,5 mm

BACH symphonic 1 1/2 C ( 24, 24) : 26,3 mm

GR 3M : 25,5 mm
GR 3MX : 25,5 mm
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:

This was explicit, not implicit.

abontrumpet wrote:

Louise Finch wrote:
I am practically.

SO TO CONCLUDE.

Originally it was not with the exact same mouthpiece, but I soon after replicated my findings on the exact same mouthpiece.

I read this section a couple of times and I am still not sure of the answer; was it a yes or no?

Louise Finch wrote:
You may argue that a Yamaha mouthpiece is different to a Bach mouthpiece, but the cup end of for example a Yamaha 14B4 maps almost perfectly over the cup end of a Bach 3C

One can't even find two 3Cs that map perfectly onto eachother, lol.

Louise Finch wrote:
I don't really think that there is anything to argue against

Apologies, I thought you were definitively saying that Yamaha mouthpieces are a better match for Yamaha trumpets.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:

Yamaha 17B4 included with the horn: 26 mm
Yamaha 14C4 GP (new) : 27 mm
Yamaha 14B4 (new) : 27 mm

Doesn't this negate the crux of your argument?

kerouack wrote:
My point s not that the only good possibility is to play same mpc brand than the trumpet brand, is that if you want to avoid mistakes, spend lot of money, think a lot, study a lot about it.... is the best option to keep things great and simple.

Thank you for clarifying your point. I agree its best to keep things simple, but you can do that with any reasonably priced big name mouthpiece brand, regardless of the brand of your trumpet. Curry, Stork, Bach, Yamaha, etc. are great places to start
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree, a Bach mouthpiece in a yamaha horn in general I think is not a good fit.

I think a lot of people don't understand me, cause don't know me, I am an engineer , not the pope. My actual opinion is not a religion for me and it can change. But it can change based on facts, not another religion.

YAMAHA 14D4: 27 mm
YAMAHA 14E4: 27 mm

The Yamaha 17B4 is an special mpc, cause is included with the horn.
Also it has a bigger rim.

It could be that with a bigger rim, or cup volume a bigger gap is better, 26mm instead of 27 mm, or could also be that is a very special mpc that has other changes, to match this specific trumpet model.

In any case, what I see is that a Bach 3C mpc works worst in this Yamaha trumpet, and also the GAP is a lot bigger than with yamaha pieces.

May be the reason that the Bachs work worst is not the GAP, but the rule of " if you want a great result with an easy choice " remains using a mpc same brand as the horn.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:

This was explicit, not implicit.

So you are explicitly stating that I’m wrong? I would not go as far as to tell another player that I explicitly think that they are wrong. I would have to be absolutely 100% confident that I was fully right and the other person was fully wrong, and even then I don't think that I would explicitly tell someone that they were wrong. Unless they were doing something risky or dangerous, they are entitled to their own opinion.

abontrumpet wrote:

Louise Finch wrote:
I am practically.

SO TO CONCLUDE.

Originally it was not with the exact same mouthpiece, but I soon after replicated my findings on the exact same mouthpiece.

I read this section a couple of times and I am still not sure of the answer; was it a yes or no?

I thought that I was clear. It is a yes, since as I said,I replicated my findings on the exact same mouthpiece.

Louise Finch wrote:
You may argue that a Yamaha mouthpiece is different to a Bach mouthpiece, but the cup end of for example a Yamaha 14B4 maps almost perfectly over the cup end of a Bach 3C

One can't even find two 3Cs that map perfectly onto eachother, lol.

Hence the almost. Check the comparator, map a 14B4 over a Bach 3C and tell me that at least for the purposes on this discussion, the cups map very well over each other? I’m not going to get out a magnifying glass and check every line in minute detail.

Louise Finch wrote:
I don't really think that there is anything to argue against

Apologies, I thought you were definitively saying that Yamaha mouthpieces are a better match for Yamaha trumpets.

This sounds a bit like sarcasm, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, I never said anything so definite or bold, and I wonder why I would be playing a James R Copy of a Bach 3C if I believed that a Yamaha mouthpiece was a better match to a Yamaha trumpet.

Anyway, this is my last post on this subject, as I firstly don’t have the time to keep on justifying my views, and secondly I shouldn’t have to. I personally find that my Yamaha Xeno II has a narrow sweet spot gap range, and at least for me, the insertion amount of my two Yamaha mouthpieces falls pretty much in the middle of this narrow sweet spot gap range. All my Bach trumpet mouthpieces insert around 1mm less than my two Yamaha mouthpieces, and I find that my Bach trumpet mouthpieces fall outside this narrow sweet gap range in the direction of giving too much gap for me on this trumpet.

This is replicated with both the Jim New gap modulator and James R New sleeves, in both instances on the exact same mouthpiece.

That is all that I have to say on the subject.

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last five years I have bought two new Yamaha's. They came with different Yamaha mpcs. The "classical" Xeno came with a 16C4. The 6535RC (commercial) came with a 14B4. With calipers I measured gaps of several shanks in these two Yamaha models.

The more "classical" Xeno gap with the Pickett shanks is .130. (.140 with a GR.) The 6535RC (commercial) gap with the Pickett shank is .090. A GR is .100. I believe Yamaha adjusts their receivers to the style for what the horn's generally intended use. Larger gap for classical playing and smaller gap for commercial use.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - is the implication that, it doesn't matter iwhether you're using a Yamaha mouthpiece or not?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: