• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Are Bach Strads THAT good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-12 00:52, Zachary Music wrote:
In fact, I am willing to bet that if Vincent Bach came back from the grave and started a trumpet company again, he would have no chance and would go bankrupt in no time.

If Mr. Bach managed to come back, he would not be able to use the Bach name on his new line of trumpets, because that has been legally sold to Selmer. So he would have to come up with something else to call it - perhaps "Vinnie's Tame Thing".

But if he opened his Tame Thing factory in say, Mount Vernon, New York, and marketed them as being comparable to the ones he used to build there long ago, I bet he'd sell a horn or two.

[ This Message was edited by: valvepimp on 2003-11-12 01:20 ]
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've used 3 bach Bbs and 1 bach C since 1968. they were all good. i really like my schilke, too.

dj
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I have had a ton of horns and tried a lot more. But I believe the best sounding and most versatile horn on the scene is the Bach. Like Trumpet Benge said a Great Bach is like magic. I now have a 37,72,25 and 43 and just recieved a 229. If you test horns properly you can find a great Bach. For me Bach has it. For others it's not the feel or sound you want. so I guess i am partial.
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say that many people buy bach because it's all they have heard of. I never heard of any other pro model other than "Stradivarius" until about halfway through my freshman year. And that was after I discovered trumpet herald. Most high school kids haven't discovered trumpet herald, hah.
X3L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-12 00:52, Zachary Music wrote:
Yes, Bach is definitely the BEST and by an astronomical margin as well. Big corporate America can do no wrong and the average person is there with full support. It must be the personal attention they receive.

The owner of one of the best brass instrument companies once told me the percentage of Bach trumpets sold. The percentage of all trumpets sold that is. I forget now what the number was but I remember being really shocked. Nothing can touch Bach. Most people who buy it care nothing about its quality and performance as long as the name is there, its pure magic.

So millions of people cannot be wrong. It’s the only trumpet everyone should be playing or at least owning. My advice to all other manufacturers is just shut your doors right now. Proof is in this thread as well.

In fact, I am willing to bet that if Vincent Bach came back from the grave and started a trumpet company again, he would have no chance and would go bankrupt in no time.
Alex

Alex,

With regard to Vincent Bach's reincarnation, there are two things I'm sure of:

1) Vincent would most certainly be able to accurately clone your Mount Vernon, and

2) He wouldn't market his horns by posting insulting posts on this, or any other, forum.

Just imagine how many horns you could sell if people liked and respected you...

John MacGregor
Waukesha, WI
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Bach trumpets are solid, reliable horns, although I have only played one that I really disliked and I have never really been able to fit into a legit section using any other configuration other than a ML 37, or it's LB counterpart, the 25.

Keeping in mind that I have pretty much played Bachs exclusively for roughly 17 years, the one thing that I have noticed recently while playing some other horns such as Schilke and Yamaha, is that it is more work to play cleanly on the Bach than on the Schilke or Yamaha. I don't know if it has to do with the shorter valve action, tighter springs or what, but my finger technique is a lot cleaner and easier on those shorter valved horns. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

The next horn that I buy most likely will not be a Bach, simply because I want to try something else, although I'm still not sure what. If I was playing in a concert band or orchestra, I might be a little more inclined to stick with the Bach, but since I'm either playing solo trumpet in a rock band, or in a big band where everyone has a different horn anyway, (Edwards, Benge, Schilke, Bach; Solo, Lead, 3rd and 4th respectively) I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference if I lose the mystical "Bach Sound".
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Bach, and I really like it. I much preferred it to all the Xenos, Conn V1s and everything else I tried, including many other Bachs. Testing them out, I found there was a lot of variation, from some which really didn't play very well (by that I mean they felt stuffy etc) to the one I finally chose, which just clicked with me for some reason.

Bach still do make good trumpets, they may not be custom built £2000+ instruments, but I have found my Bach to be solid, flexible and a pleasure to play.
Zachary Music
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X3L John,

Nice try and I appreciate your compliments on my great work and achievement in such a short time. I don’t think anyone can match what I have done. I have one of the best trumpets, cornet and flugel on the market and I am sure Vincent himself would be quite impressed with my products and what I have done.

The truth is that many people do like me, respect me and even admire me. This is why I am the most successful independent marketer of instruments on the TH. I am so successful that it makes other feel like losers. I have done it and followed my dream. As for you, I am not sure what you have achieved. Maybe you can let me know so I will respect you.

If I sold any more horns I would not be able to handle it, I am working at full capacity now.

Hang in there for the release of the ZeuperHorn.
Alex
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill out guys, no need to get to het-up about this stuff. Put it in perspective.
Bits&Bytes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex -- "...I am so successful that it makes other feel like losers" - With statements like that do you really think you have any credibility??

John, hang in there... With Alex it is simply a case of small horn envy...

B&B
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, small horn envy.....

Nick
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one for you since Alex jumped into the fray here.
I took in a 30 year old Bach for cleaning last week and loaned the customer my zoos for the week.
When he picked up his horn on Monday I asked him what he thought of the ZS
he said "nice horn, but stuffy compared to what I'm used to."
He plays a ML Bach 37.
X3L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

I learned a long time ago never to enter into a war of wits against an unarmed man. Besides, I could hardly make you look any more boorish or loathsome than your own posts do already.

Have a great day,

John MacGregor
Waukesha, WI
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please PLEASE don't respond to Alex!!

I know its hard to ignore his often-times childish banter, but responding to him as you all do is what he revels in!! Just ignore him and he'll go away when he stops generating excitement and selling horns.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zachary Music
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I do have some respect for you. You at least disclose your name and location.
<Edit by the moderators to remove personal attacks and defamation>
Alex

[ This Message was edited by: Moderators on 2003-11-12 15:50 ]
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to stay out of this one (for once), but I can't resist.

I think Bach and the other makers mentioned above (with one or two exceptions I won't name), all make good horns. However, I personally like the response, sound, and flexibility I get from my Bach. It's harder to play well than some other horns (a point made above), but when done right, it creates results that are hard to beat.

RESOLVED: If I were to exactly measure the dimensions, metal contents, etc. of a Bach ML 37 down to the thickness of the plating and water key corks and asked 10 master trumpet makers (think Blackburn, Monette, etc.) to make a Bach 37 copy, I bet they would all sound great (maybe even better), but different. I propose that the way in which the metal is cut, drawn, hammered, soldered and assembed (stress levels, etc.), even the order in which elements are assembled all affect the finished product. Each maker's style and craftsmanship will change the instrument's characteristics even if the dimensions are the same. Am I saying that Selmer's Bach shop has some secret magic? No. I'm saying that each shop does things a bit differently (and the same shop may do different things over time) and that copying the sound is not as easy as copying the look.

Any takers? =)
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwww...AGREED! KevinInGeorgia and I have had this same discussion ... and have the same conclusion as tromba mann.

All in all, it boils down to what YOU like and what YOU are willing to spend on it ...

I prefer the Bach Bb & C ... but the Stomvi Eb/D & Piccolo ..... and the Kanstul or Yamaha Cornets .... and lastly, probably a Yamaha or JUPITER flugelhorn (cost - since I rarely play flugel)...

It is ALL based on what YOU like ... no one else ... (unless you are a PRO ... then it sometimes becomes an issue of what the conductor likes ..)
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex:

I am confident that you are bigger than these folks. Your recent post took personal direct shots at a couple of posters sexuality(sorry! Thats one!.) You know what you are dealing with here. At the end of the day...you want to be the one with class. Let them cast stones. Delete or retract your posts.....don't let me down here!

The best revenge is success. You have that. I'm sure many of us look forward to applauding and bashing your upcoming product introductions
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this bickering back and forth will solve nothing!!! So how about we all just buy Schilke and be happy. The audience will thank you later.

I couldn't resist.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patches...I like your style!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: