• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Do you know a good cheap piccolo trumpet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Do you know a good cheap piccolo trumpet? Reply with quote

Hello guys,
Do you know a good cheap piccolo trumpet?
With cheap i mean less than 500 dollars.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, they're all over eBay. I imagine you are wanting to step into the arena of piccolo trumpet with this question, correct? Piccolo is a different animal to tackle than the Bb tpt you're probably used to. Cutting corners by practicing on a cheap horn with the hope of gain skill to one day purchase a good horn will only hurt you rather than help you. It may be difficult to find a good used picc. for less that $500, but not unheard of. Check out Dillon & Austin Custom Brass, you can find a good "doubler" picc. there, however it will cost more than $500 (worth it if you're looking to learn). Some good used horns that you can find on eBay or reverb... even craigslist are getzen, bach, yamaha, selmer.
aidanolesen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin Custom Brass has a good selection. They order horns made in China and then fix and optimize all the issues they have.

I want to say they go around $700.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you are located but I recently saw a Selmer pic for around 600 EUR. Almost your price range and hard to beat, I guess. Requires patience until another one shows up ...
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d save up an extra $500 or so (or less if you’re patient and keep an eye on all of the reputable shops and eBay) to get an old Selmer/Getzen/Yamaha. It will cover most or all professional or musical needs, it will resell for about what you paid for it if you want something else later, and it will be a quality horn unlike most of the Chinese and Indian horns that run cheaper. Or, you know, light 5 $100 bills on fire. They’ll be more in tune while they burn than the Indian piccolo and at least they’ll keep you warm for a few seconds. The shipping costs are less with the fire route as well. There’s no point in buying a piccolo shaped approximation of a trumpet that can’t be played in tune.

Save your money and keep checking ACB, Dillon, Thompson, Horntrader, eBay, the marketplace here, etc. for good deals on quality used horns.

If someone trying to sell you something says “it’s just as good as XYZ” they might not be shooting straight with you.
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good/Cheap/Piccolo - choose two.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many who trash them have owned one? If good instruments can be had for less than $500 then I’d assume a decent picc is out there
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
Good/Cheap/Piccolo - choose two.

I'll agree with this..

picc. is more of a beast than your Bb, C, Flugel or Cornet.. it's smaller so all of the issues are magnified.. save your money, take a loan, get a second job.... but get a quality instrument (maybe borrow one to learn how to play on it first)
Thinking that you'll buy a cheap one, learn to play on it then upgrade, or that it'll sound/play good enough is "fools gold"..

I'd like to buy a cheap sports to drive in rallys.... a Ferrari or Porsche but I only have $1000....
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Insensato
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a great piccolo from Austin Custom Brass in 2017 that retailed at 550. I paid an extra 100 for the silver plating though. It was the 3 valve piccolo configuration, which they've since discontinued because the 4 valve setup is that much better. Definitely a great option to consider. Check the ACB website.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good and cheap piccolo out there, save some more money and get a used Getzen,Yamaha ,Selmer,Benge as suggested above.
Good luck on your safari.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 and 800 LB cornets
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
trumpetlove

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing a cheap piccolo trumpet is going to give you such a bad idea that you'll lose your patience.

Rather than, I’d recommend borrowing one and practice. After few times, you can order a slightly nicer one and return the old one.

Always remember one thing, "don't compromise with the quality when buying a musical instrument".
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very leery about buying a new piccolo that sells for less than a couple thousand.

If you go to a dealer who is selling new ones for less than that, ask them where they are made. What's going on is that there are horns made very cheaply in China by people who have no history, no tradition, and no pride in making instruments. They go into sweat-shops to earn a bowl of rice per day to feed their families and they do what they're instructed to do and turn out junk.

Then those horns are imported for some ungodly cheap price, tweaked a little bit, and then sold for $900 apiece. It's the epitome of putting lipstick on a pig.

You're much better off getting a top name USED horn such as the one's already mentioned on this thread.
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really must have one, the aforementioned ACB ones a probably your best bet, I played a few of them and they were all good enough if you are looking to buy new.

Another option is watch like a hawk for something cheap in pawn shops, thrift stores, yard sales etc. Knew a guy who picked up a Schilke 5-4 for $100 at a yard sale. Clueless owners or inheritors sometimes mistake them for toys.

The other posters have given you really good advice about the nature of piccolo. Even on a good day when I feel right at home on a Bb or C and everything is clicking..... i pick up that picc and sometimes just lose hope in my humanity.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation around six months ago. In the end I bought a very used ~50-year-old Yamaha, the only thing I could find for not too many $$$. It took 3-4 months of looking but I am now very happy: it's a freaking awesome picc! The used older Yamahas and Benges seemed like the best deals, good players for not too much moola. The Selmers are too fussy from what I hear, the Schilkes are too expensive even when well-used, and most others seemed not so good for the price.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend bought a Wessex rotary picc for that kind of money. I only played it briefly but think it might be an okay first picc. I've heard good things about the ABC and Dillon piccs that can be had new for about that. A good used Yamaha, Benge, Selmer, Kanstul or Getzen will likely set you back about double your budget or more.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
J.D. Heckathorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These other posters aren't wrong, you get what you pay for to a certain degree. But bottom line if you're not needing a horn to get you paid then there's nothing wrong with getting a cheap pic to mess around on and learn.
Tritone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the wish to find a good picc for a good price, and you might run across a good quality used one within your $500 window, but that's not very likely - and it would likely take a whole lot of effort and time as you look everywhere and beat the bushes to try to scare one up.

The horns from other countries that people have already mentioned are just not worth it, in my experience. The picc is difficult enough to play to begin with for just about everyone, and if you are using a horn that is inferior you will find it a miserable experience -- and then you will be sadly wondering what it would be like to be playing a good one instead.

What to do? Not sure of your situation, but perhaps you can temporize with a loaner from a friend or colleague, if such is available, while you beat the bushes. Rentals are available in some parts of the country. Or, as others have suggested, you can decide to up your price window and pay for something that is not a risk from the outset and is available without waiting and waiting -- a good used horn, for example, such as the models noted already -- meaning a mechanically sound horn with a known, good reputation. Then you'll be in a position with no regrets.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch ebay religiously....I bought my 70s vintage Getzen Eterna 4 valve for $600, and have seen name brand Piccs go for as low as $450.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:
Watch ebay religiously....I bought my 70s vintage Getzen Eterna 4 valve for $600, and have seen name brand Piccs go for as low as $450.

+1

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 and 800 LB cornets
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the previous posts about the Getzen 900 Eterna picc. It is a really nice horn. I played one through college. If you can find one used in good condition you'll be getting a fine horn at a great value.

Regarding leadpipes, I bought my Getzen assuming that I would also have to buy one of Cliff Blackburn's replacement leadpipes. That was not the case: The stock Getzen leadpipe was just fine. Having said that, you may luck out on a horn that has both sets of leadpipes, and you'll have the option to decide which you prefer.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: