• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Play a note - put your horn down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Play a note - put your horn down Reply with quote

I recently watched a video on YT where professional trumpeter gave a few advices about efficient trumpet playing.
One was his interpretation of one of Kenny Werner's principles that sounded like the subject: "Play a note - put your horn down".

That's of course an extreme case and no one would really practice like that, for instance a 1-octave Major scale: Play C - put your horn down - play D -put your horn down... etc.

On the other hand no one would hold a trumpet to their lips straight for 15 minutes when practicing.

How often do you literally put your horn down inside your larger segments?
Suppose you have '15 minutes play - 10 minutes rest' segmentation in your practice session.

Inside that 15 min play time how often do you literally put your trumpet down?
I know it depends and you will be tempted to say exactly that but do you at least put you horn down after doing each separate exercise?
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a 20 minute routine daily, as well as other technical exercises that vary. But the 20 minute routine is made up of 6 segments. I take the horn away from my face for a brief rest after each segment, except the last. This final segment is devoted to expanding scales: 5 to be exact. The first scale goes from G to E ( top space ). The second goes from F to F top line. The third goes from Eb first line to G above the staff. I play all three of these without a break. But the 4th scale goes from Eb first line to Bb above the staff. I take a short break here, then proceed with the last scale that goes from D first space below staff to C above the staff.

So all in all during the 20 minutes I take the horn from my face 7 times. Although the rest time varies during the 20 minutes, I would say it averages about 5 minutes in all. So out of 20 I am playing 15.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
I do a 20 minute routine daily,
So all in all during the 20 minutes I take the horn from my face 7 times. Although the rest time varies during the 20 minutes, I would say it averages about 5 minutes in all. So out of 20 I am playing 15.

George, do you mean you only "practice" 20 minutes a day or are you only talking about some sort of warm-up here?
What about the rest of the daily playing time?
I assume you practice some other stuff, for instance if you have jazz connection, you would practice licks, patterns, etc.
How do you segment those areas in terms of "play a note - put your horn down"?
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the 20 minute routine is basically a warm up. My practice time varies from 1 1/2 hour to 2 hours in the morning involving intervals, arpeggios, key scales, lip slurs , flow studies, range exercises, lots of long tones, etc. and 1 hour playing the music I love only in the afternoon.

The only same thing I do each morning is the 20 minute routine. The other technical stuff varies from day to day. I am 80 years old, a come back player for about 10 months now, and have lots of time to spend on music.

After the daily warmup, rest time varies depending on the difficulty of the exercises. I try to never overdo it, but sometimes when everything is going well, I make the mistake of playing beyond my endurance. Wrong ! Wrong ! Wrong !
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: