• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eclipse trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody (besides Bruce and Trent) have one of these? I'm rather impressed with mine. Just curious what the buzz is on these from others.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you tell us what you think?

Dave
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-14 19:44, trumpetal wrote:
Just curious what the buzz is on these from others.

Ask Buzz about the buzz. And Paul would be appalled that you didn't ask him. Also inquire of Mr. Langley, so that he isn't lonely.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello:
i have a largue red eclipse, but know ti is in UK making it gold plating .
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not appalled...really. Because I'm an amateur, I'm an "also-ran". But that's OK.

Mine is very free-blowing, very in-tune, very responsive, and very "memorable" as it regards the sound it produces. It's all been said before...but it's true.

Be well. (Tell us what you think).

Monette B4LD - Blue Juice
http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/artist/friedrich/seminar/caruso.html

[ This Message was edited by: Horn of Praise on 2003-11-15 12:18 ]
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Allan!

I won't talk about my horn (you all know what I think of it!) but I did want to let people know that Allan has a great (!!) playing Mt. Vernon on ebay that he's selling (to help pay off his new baby!). He brought it to the fest and I thought it was one of the best Bach's I've played.

Shameless plug done... now back your regularly scheduled commercial.

Take care,

Trent
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
lonelyangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trumpetal. I take it from your post that you have recently bought a new Eclipse (which model by the way?).
You say that you are rather impressed with yours - join the club!
Maybe you are looking for some reassurance that you aren't going crazy. When I first began playing mine I would come home from work every night thinking - I can't believe how good this horn sounds and how easy it is to play. What's more, I wasn't the only one to notice the difference. No matter in what musical situation I found myself playing, I recieved daily compliments about the sound of the horn, the projection, purity and quality of the tone etc. etc.....until I began to realise that it wasn't just in my head. Even now, some 9 months since I put awy my other horns I still come home and begin raving to my wife about how great this trumpet is and how much I am enjoying playing it. It's got to the stage where she just goes "yeah, yeah, Eclipse blah blah blah.... whatever".
It is because I fear provoking a similar reaction from the TH faithful that I don't want to go into too much detail about the playing characteristics of the horn.
If you do a search on TH you can find plenty of detailed reviews of the Eclipse range (although I still haven't aired my excitement about my new, clear laquered, medium-heavy-red, in public).
All I want to add to what I have said before is that my first Eclipse (medium-yellow, scratch gold) has simply got better and better as I have blown it in - I guess me and the horn have warmed to each other. In my very humble opinion, it is the finest instrument I have ever played.
Oh, and I have to say that my valves are the subject of great envy amongst most of the professional players in London that I work with!
All the best, Noel.
lonelyangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! double post. I hate it when that happens.
Noel.

[ This Message was edited by: lonelyangel on 2003-11-16 17:02 ]
trumpetal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I did (albeit briefly) tell you what I thought, though I must confess that "impressed" is an understatement. Mine is like Trent's, the large red, but the only sratch finish I have on my is on the face of the bell flare. The outside of the bell is smooth lacquer, as is the rest of the horn.

I'm usually able to critique a horn (subjectively, of course), but this one defies criticism. Nothing it does is done better by any other horn I've had the good fortune to play or try. This one puts it all together in one instrument: clarity, pitch, flexibility, projection, tonal quality, optimal resistance/freedom balance, slotting accuracy, valve speed, etc. etc.

I didn't think I was crazy, but there is such a thing as "cognitive dissonance", which is the tendency to rationalize why you bought a xxxxxx for so much money, vs. a yyyyy for less. Sounds like either there's a whole lot of Eclipse owners out there who are rationalizing, or it's one heck of a great horn.

My opinion is the latter.

Thanks again for the feedback.

And thanks, Trent, for the plug. The Mt. Vernon is still listed if there are diehard Bach collectors out there. (I love them, too, but needed to sell one to justify the Eclipse.)

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetal on 2003-11-17 14:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetal on 2003-11-17 14:59 ]
Shofar Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post on this same forum called "My New Eclipse." I have to say that I think I lucked out with an exceptional playing horn, even for Eclipse. Leigh told me that several London artists tried it out and wanted to buy it, but Leigh wouldn't sell it to them because he had promised it to me. It truly is a beautiful horn. You pretty much hit the nail on the head in your description of Eclipse Trumpets, Trumpetal!

I am very happy!

Enjoy your horn - I am enjoying mine!!!!

Rob
Numbers 6:24-26

Eclipse MR, Scr. Lacquer/Schilke B3/Benge MLP
lonelyangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm usually able to critique a horn (subjectively, of course), but this one defies criticism. Nothing it does is done better by any other horn I've had the good fortune to play or try. This one puts it all together in one instrument: clarity, pitch, flexibility, projection, tonal quality, optimal resistance/freedom balance, slotting accuracy, valve speed, etc. etc."

Trumpetal, you took the words right out of my mouth! That sums up perfectly the way I feel about my own Eclipse (actually I now have two!). And I am glad you realise that you are not crazy. Congratulations on your choice of horn - the great news is that you will grow to love it more every day, if you are like the rest of us.

All the best, Noel.
Shofar Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noel, was that in reference to my horn or to Trumpetal's? In any event, Leigh is doing some amazing work up there and I truly believe in his work. I'll bee sending him an old Bach Strad for him to convert with an Eclispe lead pipe and copper bell. I'm looking forward to that one as well.

Unfortunately, as part of my duties as an Army Bandsman, I'm in the field right now without the chance to play my horn for 2 and a half days. So, I'm missin' her real bad right now.

Well, on to the next thread!

Rob
Numbers 6:24-26

Eclipse MR, Scr. Lacquer/Schilke B3/Benge MLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: