• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting wet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Getting wet Reply with quote

I've been a "dry" set up player for as long as I can remember. Always wiping my chops dry before setting up, wiping mouthpiece dry, and constantly fearing slippage.

In January I wanted to make an honest effort to play with a "wet" set up. Right a way I discovered better flexibility, getting through different registers was easier, slurs and such, also easier.

But, I also noticed endurance was not as good, I would also slip a bit and lose my seal, and my articulation seemed sloppier.

However, I persisted and now I'm at a place where a new habit has formed and I think it's an improvement. My chops feel fresher, fuller, and my sound seems richer.

Anybody else ever go from dry to wet, and have improvements?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting wet Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
I've been a "dry" set up player for as long as I can remember. Always wiping my chops dry before setting up, wiping mouthpiece dry, and constantly fearing slippage.

I've never understood how people can play dry but obviously some people do. I know Al Hirt was a dry player. Out of curiosity, can you put up a pic of your lips? I want to test a theory.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and post a pic. I've never had any luck on the TH posting pics. I've read the instructions, tried to use photo-bucket and the links etc...but no luck.

If your theory is my chops are loaded with scars, you're correct. I think dry players do more chop damage of the years because of friction and lack of natural lube.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting wet Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
trumpet.sanity wrote:

I've never understood how people can play dry but obviously some people do. I know Al Hirt was a dry player. Out of curiosity, can you put up a pic of your lips? I want to test a theory.

Same here, I never could play dry, maybe it also has to do with how you start as a beginner. To me dry feels stiff and inflexible.

Brad
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of guys are dry players, as we all know.

Ever notice how beat up their chops are? I think dry players get more "grip" but a lot of dry players chops I've seen are loaded with scars.

Just another reason I'm trying to get wet. My chops are mangled!!
Schilke Nate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: wet / dry Reply with quote

I am a combination. I prefer dry skin and wet lips. I really like the mouthpiece to stay in place and the red part of the lip to move freely. I am constantly drying the mouthpiece rim and skin and then licking my lips immediately before I set it in place.

I have always been confused by the description of "wet" so I'm wondering how you would describe what I do. Is that wet or dry? Either way, works for me with no damage or scaring.
Monette B2S3 & B2S3 W / FLG2 mpc
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stronger my cops are, the more I play wet. But when I'm just ... off, dry is easier. Less flexible, less powerful, less in tune, but easier.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting wet Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Robert P wrote:
I've never understood how people can play dry but obviously some people do.

Same here, I never could play dry, maybe it also has to do with how you start as a beginner. To me dry feels stiff and inflexible.

Brad

For me, I have a fairly full upper lip and need the lubrication for the mp to work its way to the right seating spot. I theorize that people with thin lips are going to be able to function better dry in that the mp seats on the white meat area more readily.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
I'll try and post a pic. I've never had any luck on the TH posting pics. I've read the instructions, tried to use photo-bucket and the links etc...but no luck.

Even a link to a Google Drive file is fine. Google Drive is free and you have access to it if you have a google account.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been and still am a "dry" player. Is there an informative link as to the differences and how to go about changing? It would be something i"d like to take a look at. Thanks..
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wet/dry thing seems to relate a lot to the grip or purchase the lips have on the rim. Another angle to try then is changing the mouthpiece rim - gold being the most slippery to silver (less so) then tarnished silver (which I like) to very lightly sanded which I know some players do. Also a rim with a sharper, less round outer rim can provide grip for the chops. So I think if you like the grip dry lips provide you could go to a wet embouchure more easily by one of these methods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: