• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which horn to buy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
verve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently thinking about a new horn, so maybe someone can help me to make the right decision.
I'm playing in a university big band the lead and also in a symphonic wind orchestra the 1st trumpet - so it would be good to get a suitable horn for both - classical and jazz.
Also, as I'm not a professional trumpet player, I want to keep it under 1000 USD. I've been thinking about a Veril Regium (ET9071), but is there anything else out there??

Verve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm not sure what's available in Estonia but I'll bet somebody has a Yamaha dealership..I think you'll find them generally better than Weril trumpets. If you can then my suggestion would be a 6335 model. Very solid all round horn...and because they're well under US$1000 in the States even given import duty and shipping you should be able to manage.

Hope this helps.

Trevor
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The 6335 is the model played by Alan Chez of the Letterman Show band before he switched to a Wild Thing. I have a 6335 and it's great for both jazz and classical.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give a 3rd recommendation for the Yamaha heavywalls. You could also try the new Xeno's. They are very good horns and would fit the bill for an excellent all around horn.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a Yamaha for the right price - I would recommened them without hesitation.

Don't know much about the Weril range - have tried their student line and was very impressed, especially for the price. Not as impressive as the Yamahas, but much cheaper.

Have you thought about any other options - B&S for example. Another very impressive make for the money.
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Weril Excalibur flugelhorn, and its an excellent horn, especially for the money.
Dont know about their trumpets, though.

Yamahas are great, and the B&S Challenger line is fantastic. Both are much cheaper here in Europe than comparable instruments from the US.

If you can wait until Estonia joins the EU next year, B&S horns will be even more affordable...

Martin
verve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, lot of thanks to everyone! As someone already pointed out, there aren't too many horns in the shops, so it's not possible to try them here, so I just wanted to get as many opinions as possible before I get to Sweden or Finland next time.
Again - thanks everyone!

Verve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if they have Vintage 1s, but they'd be worth trying if they are in your price range-though they may be a bit pricy. I'm not sure what's available in Europe, a lot of models have intrigued me though-the Galileo for instance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are available in Sweeden/Finland I'd try out the Stomvi horns as well. They should be in your price range and and the one's I've played have been very good.
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: