• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reynolds Contempora Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest in my search for an inexpensive high quality trumpet is a Reynolds Contempora trumpet. Anybody play one before? What do ya'll think of it. Has some damage in the bell but I'm more concerned about how it plays.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2571725196&category=16214

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2003-11-15 16:02 ]
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Contempora as well that I also picked up on Ebay. In fact, mine was within $10 of what you paid. I've archived the picture of the auction here:

http://www.vintagetrumpets.com/AuctionPics/2546870886.png

Looks like both are large bore (LB) horns (did the Contempora come in ML versions?). The cases are completely different. I *love* the valves on it; I wish my Benge 90B had those valves.

The biggest problem I have with the horn is that it doesn't slot well for me, but then again I'm a NEWBIE on the comeback trail, so I need the more firm slotting of the Benge (at least at this point). I'm definitely going to hang onto it for future use, though...

-Dan

[ This Message was edited by: heavyharmonies on 2003-11-15 18:01 ]
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my beginner students arrived to a lesson with one of these. Very battered, but it still worked.
The valves were very good (despite not having been oiled in years!) and it really screamed above high C.

If he had been any good it would have been wonderful, shame he gave up after only a few months! If only they would have sold me the instrument, his parents thought they would keep it in case he decided to try again at some future date.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not your typical Contempora. It's a Leonard Smith model. My former teacher, John Haynie, had his own Reynolds model too, back in the late 1950's. The Reynolds for the most part are pretty decent horns.

I think the standard bore size is about .460. I've had two of them. One, I turned into a C trumpet, the other (it's a long story) almost into a rotary, then finally, a baroque natural trumpet in D (well, just the bell portion of it).

Anyhow, they're pretty good horns, like the Olds and sell for an affordable price. As a matter of fact, there was a time when both companies merged.

Dave M
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll serve its purpose. I've decided I'm going to just bite the bullet and send my old Benge off to be rebuilt. I just wanted an old beater horn to play while my Benge is away.

Tim
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

You can't stop buying horns. How else am I going to test all these horns? I'll believe it when you finally call Roy and have him start your horn.
radial
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy in the community jazz band showed up with one of these. I thought it was an Olds at first because it had the tone ring around the bell. The horn plays very open, has good valves and has a nice mellow sound due to the red brass bell. I put out a note on this a couple of months ago and got several posts. Look for the thread. Phil
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The Reynolds horns came from a small company so they were never as well known as Olds and Conn but, in their day, the best Reynolds trumpets and cornets were really, really nice!

The Contempora was their top-of-the-line, and in the early 60's the short-lived Argenta was a close clone of the Contempora but done in all nickle-silver. Both are great. The Argenta only had the first valve trigger and used an adjustable third valve ring.

Two bore sizes were offered, ML and LB. If memory serves me right (and I believe this IS correct), the ML was a .458 bore. The LB was either .462 or .463.

The LB versions had a screamin' and easy upper register. I assume the ML versions did too but were a little "tamer."

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Tim,

I just let my Contempora LB go about a month ago. I have too many great horns, and it was getting difficult to know which horn to play . . . plus my trumpet addiction took me into the red, and I needed to head back to the black.

But it is an excellent trumpet. Tom's assessment is very accurate. Of all the horns I took to the Alabama trumpet fest, the Contempora was the one that Bob Odneal really raved about.

Right now I'm completely sold on my Olds Recording . . . I may even be selling a couple of my former "greatest horns" just to help keep my sanity.

Seriously, those of you with too many horns, don't you ever find yourself walking out of the house to a gig/rehearsal with the horn du jour, and later wondering why you chose that horn? I played a "very important" gig a couple months ago, and walked out of the house with a horn I hadn't been playing much and really regretted that decision.

I need to just groove into my #1 horn, period.

I remember when I first got an alternate horn, and I didn't play it until I sent my #1 horn off to get overhauled . . . that was in '99. Life was simpler then.

There's a lot to be said for playing only one horn, and having one in storage for emergencies. I'm finding that it is not the greatest idea for me to be playing a different horn every day.

But, as they say, "This, too, shall pass."

Rich
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-17 00:28, BeboppinFool wrote:
Hey, Tim,

I just let my Contempora LB go about a month ago. I have too many great horns, and it was getting difficult to know which horn to play . . . plus my trumpet addiction took me into the red, and I needed to head back to the black.
There's a lot to be said for playing only one horn, and having one in storage for emergencies. I'm finding that it is not the greatest idea for me to be playing a different horn every day.

But, as they say, "This, too, shall pass."

Rich

Rich,
I believe you 100% when you say that it is better to stick with one horn. I make no bones about the fact that I am just a comeback player. I've made more progress in my playing when I have stuck to just one horn. Buying different horns has been more like a hobby than anything else. I've been considering just having my Benge restored. But then again I may just splurge and buy what I really want. And i do know what I really want. But then that would take the fun out of the hunt!!!

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: