• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette mouthpiece with gap adjustment sleeves...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Monette mouthpiece with gap adjustment sleeves... Reply with quote

Monette website claims that any alteration to their mouthpieces destroys the balance and playing characteristics of the piece. Has anyone ever tried converting one of their pieces to accept gap adjustment sleeves? I don't expect it would diminish the quality but only change the way it works with a particular instrument. It shouldn't change the response or feel because you're not making significant changes to the mass or any changes internally. Thoughts or experience?
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't. If you feel a change is needed then have the receiver adjusted. Besides, a Prana would be nearly impossible to mill for sleeves. Only the classic shanks would be suitable.

Personally, the gap is about 1/8th-inch larger with my Monettes and I don't notice any difference compared to conventional pieces. The sound and intonation are better with the Monettes.

Kent
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Monette gap Reply with quote

A fine principal symphony player friend of mine had switched to Monette mouthpieces and was finding the pitch with his Kanstul C somewhat worse than before. I measured the end gap and it was quite a bit more than the 1/8th" considered optimum on that horn and we decided to re-position the receiver to bring it to an 1/8th". The results were very good and later on he purchased a Bach Philly C and the same mouthpiece worked very well with the stock receiver. I certainly don't know why but perhaps someone in TH land can offer an explanation.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping someone might have tried it already but it doesn't seem like it. So here's what made me even think about it in the first place: I currently play on a Monette XLT B4S S2. It's a great all around mouthpiece and I really enjoy it but I recently dropped it (first time I've dropped a mouthpiece in, like, a decade) and it got slightly knicked on the rim (totally still playable) and the end of the shank is just a little out of round. It's not a Prana and there seems to be plenty of material to work with.

Furthermore, when I measured the gap before (crudely as it may have been) it appeared to be approximately 1/4". I don't think I want to adjust the receiver because I don't want it to prevent me from using other equipment in the future. I also think it plays fine now even with the massive gap. I'm interested in the possibility of experimenting and if I buy a new mouthpiece it seems a pretty safe bet. Thoughts?
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call the shop and see if they'd just fix it for you.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds reasonable.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About ten yeas ago I dropped a new Monette STC bought from Dillons. Banged it up pretty bad. After a few weeks went by, on a whim, I called Monette (Dean Comely was the mpc man then) and told him my sad story. He told me to send it to them as they might be able to repair it. I did and a few days later he called to tell me my damaged mpc was now a "paper wt". Unrepairable. But he was sending me a "like new" demo of the size I damaged and also a Prana demo! Unbelievable!
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
I was hoping someone might have tried it already but it doesn't seem like it. So here's what made me even think about it in the first place: I currently play on a Monette XLT B4S S2. It's a great all around mouthpiece and I really enjoy it but I recently dropped it (first time I've dropped a mouthpiece in, like, a decade) and it got slightly knicked on the rim (totally still playable) and the end of the shank is just a little out of round. It's not a Prana and there seems to be plenty of material to work with.

Furthermore, when I measured the gap before (crudely as it may have been) it appeared to be approximately 1/4". I don't think I want to adjust the receiver because I don't want it to prevent me from using other equipment in the future. I also think it plays fine now even with the massive gap. I'm interested in the possibility of experimenting and if I buy a new mouthpiece it seems a pretty safe bet. Thoughts?

Matt Frost (Frost Custom Brass) is in your area and can easily straighten out the shank, which would be necessary either way. He also can convert the mouthpiece to accept his threaded sleeves regardless of the mouthpiece exterior. While adjusting the throat or backbore on a Monette mpce might throw it out of balance, adjusting the gap with this system may be an advantage in your situation.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His website looks like he does good work. Has anybody bought work from Frost Custom Brass? I like the idea of a threaded sleeve. It seems more precise.
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is first rate. I own a few of his pieces and he's done many threadings for me. He seems to get universally great reviews.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From GR:

Something to consider. If you look at your specific Monette mouthpiece note the thickness of the exit wall. The older ones were much thicker than the status quo of Bach and others.

Many players have a pre-conceived gap number in mind. This is a different design so that pre-conceived number may not work. Most Monette mpcs with that thicker exit wall do play better at about 1/4" gap in a conventional Bach or similar design due to the mouthpiece design.

Some other mpc designs have a similar wall thickness and need a greater gap. Some have a thinner exit wall thickness and require a smaller gap. Take the Bach 117 bb, very thin exit wall, you don't need as much gap.

I would not sleeve a Monette, rather I would have a receiver made or fitted, have it soldered on the horn. Keep the original if you want to go back. Charlie Melk can do this as he has receivers made to specs and fitting tools and ability.

Better yet, spend some time with an experienced tech that has leadpipes pre-assembled with different gaps and venturi for testing. Charlie Melk can do this and it goes pretty quickly.

www.grmouthpieces.com
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty conclusive. I had never considered a custom receiver but I am still wary of altering the horn as it's considerably more expensive albeit less permanent... I think I better talk to Monette before I start rolling dice or trying to "fix" things that aren't "broken." Thanks for all the input everyone.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the AGR (adjustable gap receiver) approach.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
That sounds pretty conclusive. I had never considered a custom receiver but I am still wary of altering the horn as it's considerably more expensive albeit less permanent... I think I better talk to Monette before I start rolling dice or trying to "fix" things that aren't "broken." Thanks for all the input everyone.

Sorry your mouthpiece got damaged. Fundamentally, the system of a brass instrument consists of a hole on one end that you buzz into and a hole on the other where the amplified vibration projects into the room. The balance of these component parts is what makes a Monette a Monette, a Schilke a Schilke, and so-on. I have had tragic run-ins with gravity during my 20+ years playing Monette mouthpieces, and, as mentioned above, the folks at the shop are tremendously helpful with repairs, and honest when the thing just becomes a gold-plated piece of brass.

I would recommend in the strongest terms against altering Monette equipment. You can get equally comfortable rims, unique cup designs, similarly-weighted blanks, and so-on, from many, many other manufacturers. Monette's 'constant pitch center' designs are the result of a carefully-calculated and carefully balanced system which will not be there once you start tinkering. If you like the equipment, call the shop to inquire about repair. If you feel there's a problem with the gap on your horn, there's been some good advice above regarding alterations/replacements for your mpc receiver.

If you're interested in Franken-safari, start with less expensive designs that are built with modular components first.

Good luck!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
BJones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin, how's life? Glad to see you're sticking with the trumpet thing!

Go ahead and convert it to sleeves, but ONLY if there is a sleeve size available where you can set the gap where it is right now. You'll have to get Frost to measure it for you. Skip adjusting the receiver... Lots of people on here seem to think that's a walk in the park, but once it's set, it's set. It's another $60 of repair work to go back, and there is no testing different gaps. Seems easier to go the sleeve route for adjustability and testing purposes.

I'm very skeptical of all the fear-mongering from mouthpiece manufacturers. "ANY ALTERATION WILL DESTROY THE MOUTHPIECE! (But we'll gladly sell you another one that will fix the problem for $250!!)" Seems like a great policy to hold if you want to sell more mouthpieces at prices that are already quite high. (The brass stock for mouthpieces would be maximum $12-15 per mouthpiece, for perspective.)

To be fair, some alterations will destroy Monette/Reeves/GR mouthpieces. Drilling the throats or enlarging the backbores in these is a very bad idea. But conversion to sleeves? At that point, you're adjusting the mouthpiece's fit in the horn, not the internal design. If you set the gap where it is now, it will at least be AS GOOD as it was. If you find a gap that works better, then it will improve. That's a neutral or better outcome, so go for it.

Matt Frost is great, and does quality work. His threaded sleeves seem to be a design improvement over Reeves' sleeves. I have some friends from all over the US use him, and they love him. And he's right in the Roosevelt area! A bit of a drive from your house, but definitely close and you can stop by his place. Just take Hwy 99.

Cheers!

Brandon
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, B! I'm stuck with trumpet for better or worse... I'm definitely gonna check out Frost but for the Monette I'll talk to them about repair first. I do still share your skepticism on the fear-mongering but I also understand that we like to blame the equipment and manufacturers have to deal with that enough already without us modifying their products (of course, their marketing doesn't help because the catch phrase "get a good teacher" doesn't sell equipment as fast...) It also seems like these high end manufacturers are aware of the process and if they thought it was a good idea they would make them that way in the first place. Has anyone ever seen a sleeve system on an expensive mouthpeice other than Reeves'?
BJones

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: your trumpet, as long as:

The 4th line D isn't horrifically flat, and
The 4th space E/Eb isn't horrifically flat, and
The G on top of the staff isn't horrifically sharp, and
The valves are decent,

stick with it. The above issues are hard (but not impossible) to fix, and could mess with your development as a player. Your Monette piece should help keep the top C in-tune, but you'll have to work extra hard at clear articulations and make staying relaxed a priority.

Edited: Monette might repair your piece, so call/email them. Or they might swap you with a like-new demo, as above.

Last edited by BJones on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a good teacher once and his first comment was that I needed a better mouthpiece!
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJones wrote:

Monette won't repair your piece, but they might replace it with a demo, as above. So you could luck out.

This seems to run counter to a comment above, as well as my personal experience. In their previous mouthpiece manual, Monette, alongside the comment about drilling-out/altering the mpc (which has been paraphrased several times, above) says to contact the shop if you've damaged your mouthpiece, so they can attempt to repair it and restore its pitch characteristics.

I think this thread, has run pretty far away from its two original threads: 1) Has anyone altered a Monette mpc to accept a systematic gap adjustment sleeve system, and; 2) a statement about a 'crude measurement' of mpc gap resulting in a number that the OP thinks is too large.

I'm pretty sure we've covered a lot of ground on those fronts, and sincerely wonder how many of the assertions, such as the one I quoted above would've come up if we were talking about Bach or Parke or GR or Schilke, etcetcetc. The internet is a fun place to throw around confident statements, but I hope that our TH colleagues will, at the very minimum, read the previous statements in a thread before posting. And please note that I don't intend to pick on BJones because of this one little off-the-cuff statement. There have been others which confidently boast things about Monette policies I personally know not to be true, and it seems so many of us are still mired in the cost issue, when plenty of other manufacturers are doing their best to compete with the highest-end price points, nowadays.

I deleted a post I had put up in this thread, because I thought it reeked of snark, and that's not the sort of contribution I care to make to TH. But, I still find it mind-boggling how long this thread has gone on without someone - the OP, or folks claiming that Monette won't attempt mpc repairs - actually contacting the shop about these issues ---
Just this fall, I had a cornet mouthpiece (for what it's worth, cornet, not CORNETTE) which I'd given to a student. At some point, this mpc had a run-in with gravity. The student was beside himself. We were lucky both that the damage wasn't so extensive nothing could be done, AND that John Kim at Monette was able to restore it to optimal playing characteristics. As our colleague noted, above, sometimes you do end up with a gold plated brass paper weight, but you never know 'til you ask...

-DB

PS - about the whole 'gap' thing, I know that Dave & Co. have worked out their designs for non-Monette horns to work with the great majority of non-Monette horns. Whether the OP was experiencing problems with the playing characteristics that come from the 'too-large' GAP they measured, or if they simply have a number in mind for an 'ideal' mpc gap...we haven't really gotten there in this thread, thus far!
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. My understanding was that Dave designs his mouthpieces to work with the optimal gap on a standard Bach receiver set up for the specific mouthpiece in question. So some will have bigger gaps and some smaller. I suspect the larger gap is to free up or tighten some slots.

Disclaimer: I don't play Monette trumpets or mouthpieces any more, but I did prior to my divorce...
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: