• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

valve oil

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hnotes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I have tried this new valve oil called Bell's Super Lube and it is the best I have seen. I have used al cass for years but now I will never go back. I was a little skeptical at first but once I ordered it from the internet and recieved it, I couldn't have been happier! My valves have been sticking on my bach strad. This stuff made them run smooth just like when it was new. Just thought I would let everyone know in case they were having valve troubles. here is the web address http://www.bellssuperlube.com

Mike
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how it compares to Blue Juice...I've been really happy with it...
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Guy's first post and it's an ad. Hmmmmmm Time to get the spam filter out.

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mr. Stomvi. I doubt that this guy re-invented the wheel with his valve oil ... already some great ones out there.

Although, I am having a problem with one of my Bach valves currently ....
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hnotes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Stomvi,

Thank you for implying that my post is an advertisement. Thank you for making me feel like my opinion is unimportant crap. Thank you for ruining the excitement of getting involved with a trumpet forum. I found something that I was excited about and wanted to share it with the trumpet community. Currently my personal life is overflowing with troubles. I wanted to get involved with something to take my mind off of the anxiety I'm having to deal with in my life right now. Thank you for being a friend to a fellow trumpet player.
hnotes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Brown,

I don't really know how it "compares" to other oils. I do know that my bach valves were sticking really bad. I don't have the money to buy a new horn so I was really gratefull when I found this stuff.

Mike
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hnotes,

Welcome to the Trumpet Herald. My favorite is Zaja. I have been using it for a few years now. I also think that Al Cass is a good oil. Don't let people's opinion's bring you down. This forum has been misused by other individuals for free advertising. That is where the skeptcisism comes from. Have a great day! Jon
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hnotes,

Sorry about your troubles.
Most members 1st post is in the form of a question. Like "how do I ??????" or "which is better A or B" when a 1st timer post an endorsement of a product with a link to a web site, it just looks suspicious. I don't think anybody is out to ruin you fun.

King (early 50's) Super 20 B1.5C
Pocket Max B1.5C
Arban's

[ This Message was edited by: OldKid on 2003-11-18 09:35 ]
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies as well. It looks like I may be trying out your product soon come to find out.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, Welcome to TH. Sometimes we mis-interpret a post but that's just because we are human.

Just check us out, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site. It's nice to find out about products that are new to us.

Hope you enjoy TH,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
hnotes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, Jophst, Old Kid, Jon,

Thank you for your warm welcome! There is a lot of helpful info here!

Mike
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, there's not much info on the website (unless I missed it, quite possible). Is it synthetic, kerosene based, what? What's it smell like (not a dumb question for those with asthma/allergies)? How long does it last? How does the valve speed compare to Cass or other standards?

Enquiring minds want to know - Don
unttrmptplyr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I found Bell's Super lube on the internet, and thought I'd try it out. I love it! There isn't really a smell to it, and it works wonders. I put it on all my horns now. All my friends that have tried it, loved it and I haven't heard anything negative about the stuff. I like the spray applicator instead of all the other oil bottles out there. It's only $4 too! If you order off the internet (which is what I did) there's no shipping cost. For that price I definetly recommend people at least try it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hnotes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

I don't know if it is synthetic or kerosene based. I'm sure you could contact them and find out. As far as speed is concerned, it is just as good or better than cass and all the other brands that I have used.

Mike
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Stomvi on 2003-11-18 11:29 ]
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hnotes, welcome sorry you got hit as a result of your first post. Try not to take the negative comment personally. The forum is generally welcoming, well moderated and fun but we do see some posts we'd rather not on occassion. Playing the trumpet can be great therapy, although it can create a few new problems, unless you live out in the woods somewhere or have neighbours who are also musicians. There is also the danger of becomming an ebay addict

I'm a returning player and one thing I would suggest is that you get a few lessons, I've learned more in the past 6 months with a good teacher than I learned in 9 years of playing from school. A good teacher can also help with equipment questions and put you in touch with a good technician who will soon be your best friend, believe me on that

Haven't tried that brand of oil, I find some UK stuff called Pollards is exceptional, it seems to work particularly well with both my vintage Bachs. Fat Cat seemed better on a Schilke and a Stomvi I had the chance to do some play testing on. Blue Juice is good too, but IMHO you need to oil your valves more often with it. It does however seem to mix well on top of anything so I keep some in my bag to help out if a fellow player has sticky valves in a gig. The other two oils seem to work best if you clean your valves first and then use them consistently. Haven't tried Al Cass or some of the other US oils but I'd also say stock Selmar and Besson both work well.

Finally, when I first started paying again I was suffering for about 6 weeks with badly sticking valves. Then I noticed my valve oil was in fact selmar slide oil, must have picked up the trombone players bottle by mistake all those years ago in my last band practice. Feel a bit sorry for whoever was sitting infront of that bone player next time he played

Mark
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, hnote. Hows the spray applicator work -- what about overspray? I don't fancy the idea of yanking out my horn's valve for a quick douse between songs (yeah, of course I should have done it earlier, but...) and getting valve oil on my pants, shoes, music, etc. Of course, my wife would kill me if I soaked my clothes, so instead I would just aim towards the trombones.
hnotes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Herman,

If you hold the pump close the the casing, you won't get any overspray(at least I haven't) If I'm in a hurry, I just pull out the first slide and shoot it in.

Mike
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don

My teacher uses blue juice but puts it in a spray, don't know where he got that from. He just takes the valve botton cap off turns the horn upside down and sprays while working the valve. It works quicker than taking the valve out from the top and doesn't go anywhere other than in the horn, you have to be carefull when you turn the horn back over of course.

Mark
hnotes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Who is your teacher, what area of the U.S. are you in?

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: