• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 6335s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
I'm down to just 1 trumpet right now, and was considering a a back-up in case of a trumpeting emergency.

That Yamaha 6335 seems like it gets good reviews, I thought it was an intermediate, not pro-level horn. But it costs double what the Carol does, a used one goes for as much as I paid for my 5000-YLT!

Are the 4000 series good also?

There is more than one 6335 model. The ones with an A or a J afterwards I believe were built for the intermediate market. That A stands for America, Australia or James Morrison. The James Morrison was recently rebadge from J to A.

Yes, they are more expensive than buying some of the 5000 model Carols. That's not because the 6335 is expensive. It's because the Carol is really cheap.

If you're referring to the Yamaha 4000 series, I don't think you'll find many professionals playing gigs on them, at least that I am aware of.

If you're talking about the Carol 4000 series, then be aware that they have a different lead pipe and will play pretty differently than the 5000 Carols.

Why don't you just get a second Carol 5000?

-----

Quote:
The 6335S is a medium weight horn and has a different outer diameter from the other models. Mouthpiece express sells this slide online for a very reasonable price (under $40 if I recall). May be a better option than taking it to a shop.

Okay, cheers. That's what I expected but wasn't sure.
Yeah I finally found the right slide on Mouthpiece Express.
http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=510_983_1237_992&products_id=24908

One question. For those that have the 6335s if you slide silver all along the female posts? The current slide I have is only silver for the first inch, then brass. The picture shows an all silver slide, which makes me wonder again if the slide in it right now is the original or not.
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it just appears that way as the pic is in black & white. The slides I've seen have an inch or so of silver, then raw brass
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:

That Yamaha 6335 seems like it gets good reviews, I thought it was an intermediate, not pro-level horn.

When I bought my 6335S in the 80s, it WAS a highly acclaimed (and rightfully so) High end Professional Model. There was no Xeno line yet! As noted earlier, I first played a friend's then new 6335S and was blown away by the horn, especially the upper register. I had to have one and after play testing several, I bought what I considered to be the best one (money was tight and it was expensive for the time, but well worth it). This horn has many, many great miles on it now and I still love playing it. I don't consider it a back up, but a specific situation horn as are the other horns that I own. When I need lead Trumpet solid, room filling sound, this is still the horn that I call upon. It has not changed from being a fabulous horn. FWIW, I believe that everything that was later labeled as a Classic was a Classic from the day it was born. This one is still a GREAT horn in the CLASSIC sense!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince.Green wrote:
I think it just appears that way as the pic is in black & white. The slides I've seen have an inch or so of silver, then raw brass

I didn't even notice that it was a BW photo. I just thought it was a silver slide on a blank bench top hahaha
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
I'm down to just 1 trumpet right now, and was considering a a back-up in case of a trumpeting emergency.

That Yamaha 6335 seems like it gets good reviews, I thought it was an intermediate, not pro-level horn. But it costs double what the Carol does, a used one goes for as much as I paid for my 5000-YLT!

cbtj51 wrote:
When I bought my 6335S in the 80s, it WAS a highly acclaimed (and rightfully so) High end Professional Model. There was no Xeno line yet!

Yeah.

So, back in the mid-80's, after the three digit model Yamaha trumpets, there were 4 digit model trumpets. These included the 6335 which was the "medium weight" Bb trumpet. There were lightweight models and "Heavy Wall" trumpets like the 6345H Bb and the 6445H C trumpet. Some years later, these "Heavy Wall" models were updated to the "Mark II" line which became somewhat well known. Then sometime in the early 2000's or late 1990's, the "Xeno" line came out to replace the "Mark II" line. These had the 4 digit models that started with "8" instead of "6."

Throughout all of this, though, the 6335 model remained in production. The "Heavy Wall," "Mark II," and "Xeno" models surpassed it in the hierarchy of Yamaha professional line trumpets - but all of these were heavier horns - perhaps heavier than the standard Bach Strad. The 6335 and the 6345G (if that's still in production, I think it is) are the last remaining models from that earlier era, but to me, are lighter than a Bach and a little more responsive.

When they were the current model horns, there were sold at the same level as the Bach Strad and Getzen Eterna, perhaps slightly less expensive than the Strad. I think I got mine for $800, maybe in 1990 and the Strad was $50 or $100 more (the Getzen $50 to $75 less).

From what I've read, it seems the new generation of Xenos might be a little lighter and a throwback to this.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
BGinNJ wrote:

cbtj51 wrote:
When I bought my 6335S in the 80s, it WAS a highly acclaimed (and rightfully so) High end Professional Model. There was no Xeno line yet!

Yeah.

So, back in the mid-80's, after the three digit model Yamaha trumpets, there were 4 digit model trumpets. These included the 6335 which was the "medium weight" Bb trumpet. There were lightweight models and "Heavy Wall" trumpets like the 6345H Bb

Hi Crazy Finn

Without meaning to nit pick on what is an excellent post, wasn't the ML bore heavy-weight trumpet the 6335H, with the 6345H being the L bore?

and the 6445H C trumpet. Some years later, these "Heavy Wall" models were updated to the "Mark II" line which became somewhat well known.

I had one of these Mark II's, an ex-demo so I didn't choose the specs. I had the 6335HGII. I didn't think that it was particularly heavy, and little different to a standard Bach Strad.

Then sometime in the early 2000's or late 1990's, the "Xeno" line came out to replace the "Mark II" line. These had the 4 digit models that started with "8" instead of "6."

Throughout all of this, though, the 6335 model remained in production. The "Heavy Wall," "Mark II," and "Xeno" models surpassed it in the hierarchy of Yamaha professional line trumpets - but all of these were heavier horns - perhaps heavier than the standard Bach Strad. The 6335 and the 6345G (if that's still in production, I think it is) are the last remaining models from that earlier era, but to me, are lighter than a Bach and a little more responsive.

When they were the current model horns, there were sold at the same level as the Bach Strad and Getzen Eterna, perhaps slightly less expensive than the Strad. I think I got mine for $800, maybe in 1990 and the Strad was $50 or $100 more (the Getzen $50 to $75 less).

From what I've read, it seems the new generation of Xenos might be a little lighter and a throwback to this.

Possibly, I believe they have lighter valve casings, but in reality, my Xeno II doesn't really seem to differ noticeably in weight to my Bach Strad (although I'm not one to compare weights), and whether it plays like a lighter trumpet, probably in comparison to the Mark II, but in reality, I still feel that it plays along the lines of the Bach Strad.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
I believe that Tony Kadleck may be playing the Yamaha 6335 now. Not positive though.

I think you're right. I think I had one issued to me as an Army Bandsman back in 1990. It was ok, but I ended up going back to my old trusty Bach ML 37, which is kind of the direction I'm trying to go again now. With that in mind, if a 6335 strays across my path, the price is right and it plays well, I might just snag it up.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi Crazy Finn

Without meaning to nit pick on what is an excellent post, wasn't the ML bore heavy-weight trumpet the 6335H, with the 6345H being the L bore?

Yes, you are correct. I noted the 6345H because I saw more people with this model and it seemed more common.

Louise Finch wrote:
I had one of these Mark II's, an ex-demo so I didn't choose the specs. I had the 6335HGII. I didn't think that it was particularly heavy, and little different to a standard Bach Strad.

I agree that they aren't particularly heavy. However, Yamaha classified them as "Heavy Wall." They did seem slightly or somewhat heavier than my 6335. Then again, compared to my LA Benge, my Yamaha is slightly heavy.

Louise Finch wrote:
Possibly, I believe they have lighter valve casings, but in reality, my Xeno II doesn't really seem to differ noticeably in weight to my Bach Strad (although I'm not one to compare weights), and whether it plays like a lighter trumpet, probably in comparison to the Mark II, but in reality, I still feel that it plays along the lines of the Bach Strad.

Good to know. I did feel like the later Yamaha trumpets, the Mark II and Xeno I played less responsively than my old 6335.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi Crazy Finn

Yes, you are correct. I noted the 6345H because I saw more people with this model and it seemed more common.

Hi Crazy Finn

Thank you very much for the clarification. You may very well be right about the 6345H being more common than the 6335H. Since I started playing in 1994, I haven't personally seen either.

Louise Finch wrote:

I agree that they aren't particularly heavy. However, Yamaha classified them as "Heavy Wall." They did seem slightly or somewhat heavier than my 6335. Then again, compared to my LA Benge, my Yamaha is slightly heavy.

A player in my community light orchestra has a 6335, but I've never held or played it, and I've never compared a 6335 to a 6335HII, but you are no doubt right.

Louise Finch wrote:

Good to know. I did feel like the later Yamaha trumpets, the Mark II and Xeno I played less responsively than my old 6335.

I presume that you haven't yet had the chance to compare your 6335 to the Xeno II. If/when you do, I'd be interested in how you feel the Xeno II compares to your 6335 in terms of weight and response.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
[b]I presume that you haven't yet had the chance to compare your 6335 to the Xeno II. If/when you do, I'd be interested in how you feel the Xeno II compares to your 6335 in terms of weight and response.

Correct, I have not. Someday, I will.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
[b]I presume that you haven't yet had the chance to compare your 6335 to the Xeno II. If/when you do, I'd be interested in how you feel the Xeno II compares to your 6335 in terms of weight and response.

Correct, I have not. Someday, I will.

Please post your impressions, how the two compare, when you do.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Question... Does anyone know if the 6335s tuning slide is interchangable with the 6335H tuning slide?
Or with any other Yamaha models?

The slide in mine is quite loose. Not loose enough to leak but loose enough to move if playing loudly with a mute. Or when emptying spit so that you need to move it again.

I suspect it's either been too vigorously cleaned or it is a slide from a different model or something.

That said, I would be curious to try a 6335H slide if they're interchangeable. Probably a bad idea but maybe not?

I agree with having a tech expand the slide a little, I had this same problem with my Bach and it being a 0.448 bore from 1934 it was my only option since the grease thing did not work. It's all good now.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I expanded my slide slightly myself, and it grips fine now.

In case anyone is curious, I found the easiest way to accomplish this without any tools is to just take an old mouthpiece, insert the shank into the end of each leg and tap it so that the tapered shank expands the end slightly.
Obviously be very careful to not overdo it, because it's easier to enlarge it than to try and shrink it after overdoing it... Not sure how one would accomplish that.
But anyway, it's fine now.
Fox56

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started playing 3 weeks ago again after 9 years of stop and i have the yamha student 1335 bought back in 2009 and i wanted to buy an new one and i i'm undecided between the 5335 and the the professional one 6335(i found a good price for a new 6335 around 1400 euro while the 5335 is around 1050 euro).
unfortunately i don't have to chance to play them at the moment,what would you suggest to a comeback player like me?
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6335 is a 'professional' model. I'd pay the extra for the 6335 if you have it to spare.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to know how great a 6335 can be, (and the larger bore 6345)
Fred Mills used a 6335 and Ron Romm used a 6345 for quite some time in the Canadian Brass.
I had one years back and wish I had not sold it. I felt it played similar to my great Burbank Benge 5X that it replaced. Not exactly, but pretty close.
Go for the 6335.
R. Tomasek

Last edited by Vin DiBona on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Fox56

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,i guess i'll pay the extra for the 6335!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
The 6335 is a 'professional' model. I'd pay the extra for the 6335 if you have it to spare.

+1

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox56 wrote:
Thanks for the reply,i guess i'll pay the extra for the 6335!

I would definitely do this. If you can't find one for a good price, I'd also recommend considering a used 8335 Xeno II (differing in appearance from the Xeno I by a few features including a longer chimney on the main water key, two available positions for the third slide stop screw, and the Yamaha tuning fork logo on the bell. I can't think if there are any other visual differences).

I bought mine as an ex demo around 4 years ago, when my Bach 37 was having valve problems, and even though my Bach 37 is now sorted, I've never gone back to it, as I just like the Xeno II so much.

I haven't played a 6335, so can't say how it compares to the 8335 Xeno II.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with going for the 6335. I believe there is a new model in Europe though, so some of the comments here from Americans ma not be talking about the same horn. There are some good reports on it too.
I have a 6335S as my backup and outdoor horn. I had the valves aligned and put in metal valve guides. As I learned from Lou Finch who commented above, Yamaha trumpets are sensitive to mouthpiece gap. When I have the gap dialed in on my 6335S, it plays quite nicely.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: