• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Most Versatile Horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiccoloTrumpetVCM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Most Versatile Horn Reply with quote

I am looking into buying a custom made trumpet. I like the trumpet I have now, but I like the idea of someone making a horn just for me. The problem is I don’t know which one to buy.
Just so you know what I am looking for. I need the most versatile horn there is. I play everything, lead, jazz solo, classical solo, concert band, brass quintet, musicals, you name it I have to do it. So I need a horn that can do it all.
Thanks for all your help

Last edited by PiccoloTrumpetVCM on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try a Bach 37 or a Lawler TL-1. Noting how you live in Chicago however, a regular old Bach 37 may be the ticket.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. A good Bach 37 is the most versatile horn out there. However, if you are dead set on investigating custom horns I would only consider a couple of makers: Lawler and Blackburn. All the other custom makers seem to make horns that are more narrowly designed for a specific type of playing.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher,

As a Chicagoan you have a great opportunity to hear Art Davis on his Lawler. He plays at Andy's, 11 E. Hubbard, on Monday nights. Check him out!

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2003-11-18 13:11 ]
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You live in or around Chicago, and you want a custom made/built horn. You have lots of options.

Schilke is nearby in Melrose Park, IL. Suggestions for good all around horns would be a B1, B5, or S32. They will build one to your specs. You will have to work with one of their dealers as they do their deals that way. It can take a long time. Not as much time as it would take UMI to build you a Bach trumpet.

Holton is in Kenosha, WI. I am sure that they would like to do the same type of work for you and build you a horn. Again, you work with their dealers and they do the custom work. I have not found them to be responsive at all, but your experience may be better.

Getzen/Edwards is located in Elkhorn, WI and they also will do custom work for you. The Edwards line is totally customizable with parts that are already built. A visit to the Edwards Pro Stop is worth the drive from Chi town and a fun place to visit, talk shop, and try horns.

Kanstul in Anaheim, CA will also do custom work for you and again you need to work through a dealer. Many models to choose from and you can customize those further to your tastes.

The Brass Bow is also custom building horns now. They are located in Arlington Heights, IL and also within striking distance from the city.

There are other horns that are worth the look. Lawler and Bach are in that category, and if I were the one choosing, then Lawler would have my vote. Plus your lead time to get a horn from Roy Lawler is much shorter than if you ordered a custom Bach.

Good luck with the search and find out what stuff you like before you order a horn. Don't forget that if you have a lot of money and don't care about time, then Dave Monette would also custom build you a horn.

Endless Options for custom horns!

The LIP
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a Lawler with the sts conversion or a Schilke B1L. Both horns allow you to add additional bells to meet your needs. Changing the bells will give you the versatility you seek. Both horns are very well built with awesome valves and slide action. Both are custom built and not cheap.
Lawler TL6r1a
Schilke 1040 flugelhorn
PiccoloTrumpetVCM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help!

I think I am going to look into Lawler. I play on a Kanstul 1500 and it does not work so well for lead way to dark.

Thanks again

Christopher Kuzmanoff
Director of Bands
Collins High School
Chicago IL
Charis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Callicciho R37 or R32
lonelyangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Christopher. I also have to play every conceivable kind of music.
Whilst I would agree with a lot of what is written above I would also urge you to visit http://www.eclipsetrumpets.com or contact Bruce Lee to arrange to try one of these horns.

Versatility basically comes down to the players imagination - how much control you have over your sound and how you approach each musical situation. My approach, as far as equipment goes is to opt for a medium bore, medium weight horn with a medium sized bell, a good balance between resistance/free-blowing, a medium/shallow mouthpiece (the smallest one on which I can make a full sound) with a medium throat and back bore. From this position it is relatively easy to lighten or brighten the sound or to warm up and darken the tone, to produce a rich sonorous sound or to turn on the sizzle and really shout. A ML Bach 37 clearly fits this description but, in my humble opinion, the Eclipse is superior in almost every respect - especially if you are looking for some customisation and attention to detail in terms of customer care, service and satisfaction - you really do get what you pay for with this company.

Good luck with your quest. Noel.
Fast Freddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try out all of the above mentioned if you can. I haven't had the pleasure of blowing an Eclipse yet but look forward to doing so... hopefully sometime soon!

One other horn I think you should try out is the Callet Jazz. In my opinion, it's one of the best "all-around" trumpets out there right now. I'll also put a heavy vote in for Roy Lawler's stuff.

Oh... take Flip up on the trial period and give the Wild Thing a whirl. Played a good friend's last weekend and I think I'm gonna have to buy one.

Best of luck!

[ This Message was edited by: Fast Freddy on 2003-11-18 19:35 ]
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke has a new play test room and being from Chicago they should be the first place you hit up... They can make anything!

My Schilke X3Lb in Satin Gold
[img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f4577e3_1283/bc/X/__hr_x.jpg?BCoZaR_ARis3g4PD[/img]
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately try a Stomvi Master Ti. They have interchangable bells (different tapers and made of different materials), interchangable tuning crooks as well as interchangable leadpipes that let you taper the response to whatever your needs might be. Super well constructed also.

here is their web site

http://www.stomvi.com/Ing/Portada.htm

Call Cambrass in LA. They are the U.S. distributors.

Hope this helps

Seth Moore

Richard I. Schwartz
"The Cornet Compendium"

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Stomvi on 2003-11-18 21:38 ]
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Schilke B6L too! Man.. I would LOVE to live in Chicago and be that close to Schilke!
Mikester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Christopher,

Sounds like we both play in several situations (imagine many of us here do). I have been on the same journey for 2-3 years. Owned (most) and borrowed (two) some fine horns: Gold Schilke S-32, 2 WT's (Silver and Gold), 2 models of Lawler (4 raw brass horns), 3 Silver Callets (Jazz, SC 0."464, SC 0.460"), and Lacquer Yamaha Z. (Think that is all.)

With all these, plus trips to ITG 2001 and Mobile-Trumpet-fest 2003, I have NOT found THE one and only (single bell) horn.

At this moment, I am expecting delivery of a new Lawler TL6R-1a (scratched then lacquered). This will complement my 2002 Callet light-weight silver Jazz (from Jerry's last batch). Possibly, a Lawler with the STS option may solve the problem. But, then again, if my problem is having a Lawler and a Callet, guess I'll just have to live with it. LOL.

You are welcome to contact me by e-mail for specific questions. I would also recommend you contact Bruce Lee of http://www.NothernBrass.com . He has an "arsenal" of horns to choose from!
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom Trumpet + Chicago residence = Schilke Music Products. A simple equation to solve!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Tampahorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the lawler sts, very versitle with excellent response. If playing a bach horn is a priority roy can convert a bach bell to fit the horn, I understand that gigs may require this on occassion, especially in chicago.
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WILDTHING
King (early 50's) Super 20 B1.5C
Pocket Max B1.5C
Arban's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: