• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harry James and Buddy Rich

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Harry James and Buddy Rich Reply with quote

I don't know if this vid has been shared before, but the quality is awesome, and the band is killin!!

Not to mention Harry James just sounds awesome and Buddy is in his prime.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5l5snMf5u2s
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And WHO is on lead trumpet?? So slick and awesome style and sound!!
burnhamd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, very nice
Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Harry in Japan 1964 Reply with quote

The video was done in Japan in 1964 and Rob Turk is the lead player. Rob wrote many arrangements for Harry and when he left the band shortly after this video was done, I was fortunate to replace him. Tom Porello joined later and with Fred Koyen and Nick Buono alongside, it was quite a good section. Rob had been hired to play lead with the house band at the Las Vegas Sands led by Antonio Morrelli, former bandleader at the Copa Cabana in NYC. During the first rehearsal at the Sands Rob said to Morrelli, "Maestro, when you move your arms I make noise...so be careful". Classic Rob humor.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Last edited by Tony Scodwell on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor point, especially related to the interesting comment above, but notice how tightly that cup mute is adjusted when he does September Song. Most of the time, I see cups with stock factory corks that don't come even close to that sort of fit (or sound, or intonation).
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Harry in Japan 1964 Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
The video was done in Japan in 1964 and Rob Turk is the lead player. Rob wrote many arrangements for Harry and when he left the band shortly after this video was done, I was fortunate to replace him. Tom Porello joined later and with Fred Koyen and Nick Bueno alongside, it was quite a good section. Rob had been hired to play lead with the house band at the Las Vegas Sands led by Antonio Morrelli, former bandleader at the Copa Cabana in NYC. During the first rehearsal at the Sands Rob said to Morrelli, "Maestro, when you move your arms I make noise...so be careful". Classic Rob humor.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Hey thanks for the details and cool stories. I always enjoy hearing the history..especially from somebody with first hand accounts like yourself!!

Harry James gets a bad rap from some folks as being to schmaltzy but man he never missed, had such an awesome core trumpet sound and one of the best careers a trumpeter could ever have. Plus when he wanted to swing his solos were full of great vocal and dexterity....he's always been a hero of mine!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Harry in Japan 1964 Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Harry James gets a bad rap from some folks...

Well, that's a new one for me. I've never heard Harry James get a bad rap from anyone. Maybe I've been living under a rock and missed it.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Harry in Japan 1964 Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

Well, that's a new one for me. I've never heard Harry James get a bad rap from anyone. Maybe I've been living under a rock and missed it.

Well, after I got finished reading a biography on him, I have to admit my opinion was lower than it was before I started. And for reasons that had nothing to do really with his playing.

That said, I've heard more than a few people poke fun at him over the style of vibrato he used, particularly on the more lyrical songs he recorded. It's certainly 'out of style' today, but clearly people loved it at the time, because he was essentially the rock star of his time when he was in his prime.

See also: musician tendencies to always hate on anyone that audiences actually like enough to flock to hear live or buy records from. That automatically casts you as a sell-out in their eyes. Apparently it's better to 'be yourself' and play stuff nobody wants to hear, but be a 'real musician' in the process.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Harry in Japan 1964 Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

There are lots of articles and interviews with harry James and his fight with getting his jazz audience back after he was selling lots of albums playing more ballads, and heavily orchestrated "pop" stuff instead of focusing on more jazz.

Again this is half a century ago, but it happened.

Then even in the modern trumpet many jazz "purists" rip on HJ for being a pop player and not a "real" jazz trumpeter, and they always make fun of his vibrato and trills and such and his sound in general.

I however always loved listening to him. He'd play a great extended solo, then go back and double or or play lead the trumpet section, and he appeared to never tire. Even when fall down drunk!!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Harry in Japan 1964 Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Larry Smithee wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

There are lots of articles and interviews with harry James and his fight with getting his jazz audience back after he was selling lots of albums playing more ballads, and heavily orchestrated "pop" stuff instead of focusing on more jazz.

Again this is half a century ago, but it happened.

Then even in the modern trumpet many jazz "purists" rip on HJ for being a pop player and not a "real" jazz trumpeter, and they always make fun of his vibrato and trills and such and his sound in general.

I however always loved listening to him. He'd play a great extended solo, then go back and double or or play lead the trumpet section, and he appeared to never tire. Even when fall down drunk!!

I'll take your and others word for it about Harry's struggles. I heard Harry's band for the first time in 1961. I was a high school junior. It was the first pro band I had ever experienced live. It blew my mind. Despite owning at the time a ton of LP (remember those things) recordings of his I wasn't ready for the real deal. I was already subscribing to Down Beat magazine as well which I would devour from cover to cover every month. Of course, I liked other players too. Later in college I became a big Doc fan. But I digress. I read his biography some years ago, which gave me even more reason to love the guy. I assume we're talking about the book Trumpet Blues: The Life of Harry James by Peter J. Levinson. Anyway, I'm 74 now and I'll certainly concede that it's possible I could miss some details, you know, old age and all.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Harry James and Buddy Rich Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
I don't know if this vid has been shared before, but the quality is awesome, and the band is killin!!

Not to mention Harry James just sounds awesome and Buddy is in his prime.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5l5snMf5u2s

Thanks for posting this! The Band swings like crazy and you are spot on regarding Harry James and Buddy Rich!!! We are most fortunate to be able to experience this so very many years later. Harry, Buddy and the Band live on!!!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Rickperon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that just put me behind about an hour… couldn't stop watching! Great band & great lead trumpet playing… Rob's lead playing (IMO) reminded me of my former boss & great lead player for the USAF Falconaires Jazz Ensemble "Chris Walters", we would also end most of our concerts with Two O'clock Jump with the trumpets out front on the cascading triplets…. thanks for sharing!
Rick
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an 81 year old fan of HJ. When I was a kid he was the one I wanted to play like. Never could, but that didn't stop me from trying. The thing about Harry was the minute you heard his horn sight unseen, you knew it was him.
Great video. Thanks.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: