• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why vintage trumpets are better?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Lipshurt. Especially noteworthy is your assessment of the Connstellation as a departure from the norm in design. I also think the Buescher 400 hit a design level and build that would be tough to improve upon even today.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a point that no one has mentioned yet...

Brass instruments age.. the metal ages and changes subtly - I've heard it described as losing it's memory of being flat-all the stress of being molded and soldered has dissipated.

Whether it's better or worse well, depends on the instrument and what you're looking for. There are some damn good new trumpets being made and likewise some vintage ones that are amazing.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well vintage ones are usually half the price
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:

Good point. If people are willing to pay double they must feel new trumpets are better than vintage.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Dennis78 wrote:

Good point. If people are willing to pay double they must feel new trumpets are better than vintage.

One thing's for sure I've learned over the years..."there's an ass for every saddle"
Shoe

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my lifetime, I've been kinda burned by buying vntage horns. In high school, I bought into the vintage craze I read about and would buy old horns, and though they played well, they didn't help me blend and learn how to balance with a section of strads and xenos and jupiters.
I ended up selling all my old horns for a modern one that helps me do everything better for my current applications.
Again, the horns I had played well, but went nessairily as viable as, say, a strad 37 was for me. Again , YMMV and I'm not exactly a great player, so other players might not of had the same issues I had blending and fitting in.
Sure they played very well, but, for where I was in my playing, age, and uses, they were not the horns for me.
Shoe

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say the old holtons and Conns I've had/borrowed had great build quality and the worksmanship was superb though, so you might be right about the individual worksmanship for vintage horns to some modern horns
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoe wrote:
In my lifetime, I've been kinda burned by buying vntage horns. In high school, I bought into the vintage craze I read about and would buy old horns, and though they played well, they didn't help me blend and learn how to balance with a section of strads and xenos and jupiters.
I ended up selling all my old horns for a modern one that helps me do everything better for my current applications.
Again, the horns I had played well, but went nessairily as viable as, say, a strad 37 was for me. Again , YMMV and I'm not exactly a great player, so other players might not of had the same issues I had blending and fitting in.
Sure they played very well, but, for where I was in my playing, age, and uses, they were not the horns for me.

What trumpet new or vintage wouldn't blend with a "section of Bach Xenos and Jupiters"?

ive played all kinds of horns over the years and never understood this "blending" issue phenomenon people speak of. If I'm in a section and not playing lead, I play under the lead player. Support him, don't overpower him, and don't stand out. But if I'm in tune and playing in context I can blend with anybody, no matter what horn I'm using.

Never understood that statement I hear people using all the time....besides, even most vintage horns have the same Besson style design as do newer horns. Even when I play different horns like a Connstelation I can still blend in a section with anybody playing a Bach or whatever.
Shoe

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What trumpet new or vintage wouldn't blend with a "section of Bach Xenos and Jupiters"?

ive played all kinds of horns over the years and never understood this "blending" issue phenomenon people speak of. If I'm in a section and not playing lead, I play under the lead player. Support him, don't overpower him, and don't stand out. But if I'm in tune and playing in context I can blend with anybody, no matter what horn I'm using.

Never understood that statement I hear people using all the time....besides, even most vintage horns have the same Besson style design as do newer horns. Even when I play different horns like a Connstelation I can still blend in a section with anybody playing a Bach or whatever.[/quote]

Symphonic/classical, and chamber/quintet were very difficult for me to blend with.
I've had a holton B47, an old Buesher true tone (sp?), a conn 28a, holton revalation, and I had borrowed a conn vocabell as well. I found more sucess with a stock bach 37 after some time in college, as well as my lawler, though it is more difficult for endsamble playing on that.
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1951 Olds Recording and even my 1953 Olds Ambassador play like no toher modern horn in their respective price range.
Craftmanship is or rather was the key here in my opinion.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacMichael wrote:
My 1951 Olds Recording and even my 1953 Olds Ambassador play like no toher modern horn in their respective price range.

I know your Olds' play well, as I've owned many myself, but are you honestly saying that hand-made trumpets today are made with less care or skill than they did on the Olds production line?

Reckon the peeps at Kanstul, Schilke, Getzen might take exception to that remark.... not to mention the artisans at Yam who build the high-end horns, and the people at Adams... heck, even the Besson people might be upset

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good discussion.

Perception seems to get in the way. We think a certain maker does great work and we look for "one of those." In my case, I had been looking for a Calicchio with a #2 bell for a couple of years because I had worked on a couple of them and really liked the blow. So I find one, pay the seller a substantial amount, and get a trumpet that was original, no one had worked on it since Dominic sprayed the lacquer on in his backyard in the 60's.

Well, I played the thing for months, after correcting many small problems and having the valves refitted at ASP, and finally gave up - it just didn't play well enough. Then I got a couple of pipes from Mr. Duda and low and behold, one worked great. But I have an unfair advantage in that I can experiment with things endlessly as a repairman. What the hell chance does the average player have?

So find a good horn and play it, and forget about age.
https://yourbrass.com/
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
MacMichael wrote:

I know your Olds' play well, as I've owned many myself, but are you honestly saying that hand-made trumpets today are made with less care or skill than they did on the Olds production line?

Yes, less care. Not necessarily less skill or tools.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Find a good horn and play it," excellent advice!

Also, if you can find a new Getzen Proteus, you'll find something that isn't boring. And their attention to detail is second to none.

What happens as instruments age can be observed under a microscope, and duplicated by cryogenic treatment.
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my teachers was assistant principal trumpet for the St Louis Symphony (now retired) and he preferred that I played my 1934 Bach, he thought my Shires was on the bright side. Both horns were built well (the Shires is a work of art) I have had tons of vintage horns some I liked better then others. The Bachs seemed to be the most inconsistent, but from what I've been told Bach was always experimenting with new ideas. I have had 2 large bore Benge, one Chicago (#1599) and one Burbank (#1705) I thought the Burbank was a better horn though they were both made by Elden in his shop, though the Burbank was made for Al Ballanco who was a New Orleans band leader. All my committees were a little different, even when they were the same bore size, and I've had several Olds Recording and two Super Recording (you can peel paint with these) as well as four Blessing Super Artists and a Selmer Balanced. I agree with the guys about the Olds trumpets, they play well and are built solid, like tanks, all the solder points have been tight and clean, I don't know how they did it but they did it well. Oh yea I have a 47 year old King 600 that I got when I was 8. I worked for over 20 years on an automotive assembly line so I can tell you even doing the same thing day in and day out things can vary quite a bit.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
"Find a good horn and play it," excellent advice!

Yes, I agree. The question is: How old should it be?

Concerning attention to detail:
dcjway wrote:
I agree with the guys about the Olds trumpets, they play well and are built solid, like tanks, all the solder points have been tight and clean, I don't know how they did it but they did it well.

I have seen modern 2000+$ horn with sloppy solder joints...
Of course solder joints are not the one and only criterion for quality.
With Olds it was the whole package, first and foremost the valves, overall construction and above all the amazing tone of especially the Recording trumpet!
My ´51 Recording is second to no other trumpet I have owned.
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen modern 2000+$ horn with sloppy solder joints...
Of course solder joints are not the one and only criterion for quality.
With Olds it was the whole package, first and foremost the valves, overall construction and above all the amazing tone of especially the Recording trumpet!
My ´51 Recording is second to no other trumpet I have owned.[/quote]

I totally agree great horns. Another horn that has great valves is the King Super 20 SilverSonic Symphony, but for some reason everyone that I've come across had stiff 3rd valve slides.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My opinion on this is that I prefer the reliability of a modern instrument. I'm not saying that all vintage or even the majority of vintage instruments are unreliable, only that I don't want to risk another unreliable one.

My 1978 Bach 37 has a great sound, but the 1st valve to a greater extent, and 2nd valve to a lesser extent, remain problematic. Holton valve oil seems to cause me less trouble, but there is still this sticking on the upstroke of the 1st valve, which drives me mad. I have replacement valve guides, new springs and it had a valve alignment not long ago, so new internal valve felts. I've also replaced the top cap rubber bumpers. This trumpet is really clean, as it has had multiple cleans with a H W Brass Saver pull through, and I have had the H W Brass Saver through all of the tubing, paying particular attention to the tubes between the valves, but it still continues to play up.

I have been advised by two different UK techs that the valve compression is very good considering the age of my trumpet, so it shouldn't need a valve job, and I don't want the valves lapped any further as it is hardly a new instrument whose valves are still in the break in stage, but the issues remain with no obvious way of resolving them, and are very frustrating.

I therefore play a modern Yamaha Xeno II, because I oil the valves every time I play, and can rely on the valves to work reliably without sticking.

Yes, probably this is an issue with one Bach Strad, but it has completely put me off older instruments.

I just cannot be doing with sticking valves any more.

Most probably sticking valves are not an issue with all or even most vintage instruments, but older valves played by probably more than one player who probably press them down slightly differently, and which may or may not have been probably maintained and oiled regularly, is too much of a risk for me after years of battling with my Bach Strad.

YMMV

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

My opinion on this is that I prefer the reliability of a modern instrument. I'm not saying that all vintage or even the majority of vintage instruments are unreliable, only that I don't want to risk another unreliable one.

My 1978 Bach 37 has a great sound, but the 1st valve to a greater extent, and 2nd valve to a lesser extent, remain problematic. Holton valve oil seems to cause me less trouble, but there is still this sticking on the upstroke of the 1st valve, which drives me mad. I have replacement valve guides, new springs and it had a valve alignment not long ago, so new internal valve felts. I've also replaced the top cap rubber bumpers. This trumpet is really clean, as it has had multiple cleans with a H W Brass Saver pull through, and I have had the H W Brass Saver through all of the tubing, paying particular attention to the tubes between the valves, but it still continues to play up.

I have been advised by two different UK techs that the valve compression is very good considering the age of my trumpet, so it shouldn't need a valve job, and I don't want the valves lapped any further as it is hardly a new instrument whose valves are still in the break in stage, but the issues remain with no obvious way of resolving them, and are very frustrating.

I therefore play a modern Yamaha Xeno II, because I oil the valves every time I play, and can rely on the valves to work reliably without sticking.

Yes, probably this is an issue with one Bach Strad, but it has completely put me off older instruments.

I just cannot be doing with sticking valves any more.

Most probably sticking valves are not an issue with all or even most vintage instruments, but older valves played by probably more than one player who probably press them down slightly differently, and which may or may not have been probably maintained and oiled regularly, is too much of a risk for me after years of battling with my Bach Strad.

YMMV

All the best

Lou

All very true and relevant. Problem valves drive me crazy
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:

All very true and relevant. Problem valves drive me crazy

Hi Dennis78

Thanks. I suppose when it comes down to it, brass instruments (except trombones) are valve instruments, and valve action is therefore integral.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: