• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 37 (years 1983-1984) in beautiful shape: suggestions

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrizio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:49 am    Post subject: Bach 37 (years 1983-1984) in beautiful shape: suggestions Reply with quote

Hi folks, I found a Bach Strad 37 in lacquer (years 1983-1984) in really beautiful shape despite the age, without signs of corrosion, at least from the outside. It was purchased in the late 1980's but has seen very little use. A technician recently overhauled it and said everything is fine. It is almost identical to my first 37 purchased in 1985 that I had to sell. So, from a romantic point of view I'd be very tempted to take it, also because I heard that was a good period for Bach trumpets. The price is 1600 euros, about 1740 US$. The problem is that I can't play it. Would you risk buying it?
Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

PS
How can I attach images?
Patrizio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be more precise, I can't play it before pay....
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a bad price. Arrange a skype meeting with the owner, and have him play it, or demonstrate that the valves and slides work. Look at the outside of the leadpipe and make sure there are no signs of red rot. Pay by paypal. Stai attento.
Patrizio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irving, thank you for your suggestions. This morning I had a video call with the owner, but he is a pianist and can't play the trumpet. It belonged to his grandfather who recently passed away. The trumpets looks nice and clean, all slides and pistons move. The lacquer was in very good condition without missing areas, no evident signs of red rots on the leadpipe or on the the main tuning slides, like in the pictures I got.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Strad that we initially purchased for my older sister around 1984 that I used and abused until I started eating holes in it with my acidic hands. That trumpet served me from the time I got it in 1986 until I sold it and bought another Strad in 1997.

It also got me through my first 8 years of my Army Band career - I did a lot of good playing on that trumpet.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there isn't any visible red rot you should be fine for years as long as you keep the horn clean. Replacing a leadpipe or tuning slide can be expensive, so the absence of visible red rot increases the likelihood you won't have any major repair expenses.

Another potentially costly repair would be rebuilding the valves. Did the repair tech who said "everything's fine" check valve action and compression?

If both those are good, and there isn't any visible red rot, then you'll likely have a problem-free horn for years to come. Even if you wind up not liking it you'll be able to sell it for the price you purchased it for.

Good luck!
Patrizio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
If there isn't any visible red rot you should be fine for years as long as you keep the horn clean. Replacing a leadpipe or tuning slide can be expensive, so the absence of visible red rot increases the likelihood you won't have any major repair expenses.

Another potentially costly repair would be rebuilding the valves. Did the repair tech who said "everything's fine" check valve action and compression?

If both those are good, and there isn't any visible red rot, then you'll likely have a problem-free horn for years to come. Even if you wind up not liking it you'll be able to sell it for the price you purchased it for.

Good luck!

Thank you Dayton! Fro the video valve action appeared good, I will ask the tech about compression.
Patrizio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I had a Strad that we initially purchased for my older sister around 1984 that I used and abused until I started eating holes in it with my acidic hands. That trumpet served me from the time I got it in 1986 until I sold it and bought another Strad in 1997.

It also got me through my first 8 years of my Army Band career - I did a lot of good playing on that trumpet.

Thank you Trickg for letting me know your experience with Bach Strad trumpets!
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have known some pretty serious trumpeters who played Bachs of that period at some point in their career, and these are typically very fine instruments. However, condition is everything. Sight un-seen is always a risk. Detailed photos including bore-scope video can lower that risk, but never eliminate it.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Patrizio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I have known some pretty serious trumpeters who played Bachs of that period at some point in their career, and these are typically very fine instruments. However, condition is everything. Sight un-seen is always a risk. Detailed photos including bore-scope video can lower that risk, but never eliminate it.

Thank you Ron!
Patrizio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you let me know how can I post here some picture of this 37?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree, at least in general terms, with some of the comments above about this being a period for 'good horns' from Bach. You only have to spend a few minutes looking at serial number info to realize that Bach radically upped production numbers in the late 70s and 80's, and really started cranking them out, with a shocking number of them going to band students, at least those that could afford them.

At the time I bought mine (in 1980), they went for about $425, which doesn't sound like much, but if you look it up in one of those inflation calculators online, you'll learn that it's almost the same price (in modern dollars) of a new Bach strad purchased today. It's not about labor costs, or materials, or union wages, or any of that stuff. The dollar is just worth much less than it was back then.

Anyway, some of those horns were good, some of them not so good, and a bunch of them weren't exactly treated or cared for the best in their original owner's hands.

Mine, a silver 37, had a notoriously dodgy A just above the staff, that was a pain to play clearly. I never knew why at the time, and it wasn't until years later, when I dusted it off and sent it off to Steve Winans, aka 'Dr. Valve' up in Chicago, wanting some other work done, and he called me, wanting to know what I thought about that A being wonky.

I hadn't mentioned it to him in advance, but he came to the same conclusion. Far better, he had a bunch of strads in his shop at hte time, and told me that he tried the tuning slides from all of them in my horn, and they all played better than the stock Bach slide it came with back in 1980.

He ordered a MK drawing replacement and fitted it for me, and I'm still using that horn today, mostly for legit / orchestra playing while I prefer a different horn for big band or horn band playing. And that ludicriosly problematic A? Long gone.

All of the above is just to say, if you can't play the horn in question first, I'd be leery of just assuming it's a great horn because of a serial number and some pictures. It might be, it might not be, a good one.

The fix might be simple, like replacing a tuning slide, or maybe a leadpipe if it has red rot or something like that, but it could be far worse. Before I bought mine, I played through at least a dozen of them in a music store in Ft. Worth, Texas (you could actually find them in stock in large numbers back then, pretty much anywhere). Some of them were dogs, some of them were far better, and if I had spent more time, I imght have figured out that A was weird (for reasons I never figured out, and Steve couldn't explain either) even though I thought it was the pick of the litter at the time.

YMMV.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrizio wrote:
Could you let me know how can I post here some picture of this 37?

Read this thread (particularly the last two posts):

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146974

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

At the time I bought mine (in 1980), they went for about $425, which doesn't sound like much, but if you look it up in one of those inflation calculators online, you'll learn that it's almost the same price (in modern dollars) of a new Bach strad purchased today.

Like, not even remotely close my guy.

Source usinflationcalculator.com

Inflation Calculator
If in 1980
I purchased an item for $425.00
then in 2023
that same item would cost:
$1,576.68

Cumulative rate of inflation:
271.0%

Source sweetwater.com
Bach 180S37 Stradivarius Professional Bb Trumpet
$3,413 (plus tax)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot find a server to host your pictures of the horn, I can put them on my website - just attach the .jpg files in a email to me at
jkosta@hancock.net

I'll leave them online for at least 1 week, or later if there is continued 'current interest' in this thread
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadstriker wrote:

Inflation Calculator
If in 1980
I purchased an item for $425.00
then in 2023
that same item would cost:
$1,576.68

Cumulative rate of inflation:
271.0%

Source sweetwater.com
Bach 180S37 Stradivarius Professional Bb Trumpet
$3,413 (plus tax)

Fair enough, admittedly it's been a few years since I did that experiment, so 'quantitate easing' or whatever made have made it far worse in recent years, but it was far closer in the not too distant past. /shrug
Patrizio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
If you cannot find a server to host your pictures of the horn, I can put them on my website - just attach the .jpg files in a email to me at
jkosta@hancock.net

I'll leave them online for at least 1 week, or later if there is continued 'current interest' in this thread

I appreciate your help, thank you Jay!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:04 am    Post subject: photos of the trumpet from Patrizio Reply with quote

Patrizio sent me 4 jpg photos and they are here -

http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/B37photo1.jpg
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/B37photo2.jpg
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/B37photo3.jpg
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/B37photo4.jpg

My site does not use 'https' security, so you might get a warning msg about the files not being secure - I have scanned the files with NORTON and no problems were reported about them.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrizio wrote:
Hi Irving, thank you for your suggestions. This morning I had a video call with the owner, but he is a pianist and can't play the trumpet. It belonged to his grandfather who recently passed away. The trumpets looks nice and clean, all slides and pistons move. The lacquer was in very good condition without missing areas, no evident signs of red rots on the leadpipe or on the the main tuning slides, like in the pictures I got.

From the outside it looks quite good for a 40 year old horn. If the owner was middle-aged when the horn was acquired, the care that often comes with maturity, light use generally due to career etc., and, as many do, backing away from playing in retirement as health or other issues intervene, would be a plausible explanation for the condition. The video data is also important, as mechanical function is not possible to discern from still photos. It all looks, and seems solid.

Patrizio wrote:
The price is 1600 euros, about 1740 US$. The problem is that I can't play it. Would you risk buying it?

That's the tough question. If the price were 200 lower, I'm sure I would, knowing the appearance would allow me to resell it at a fairly minor loss on EBay without issue. At this price, that net risk is a little larger - though possibly something that could be mitigated by sales methods that charge less than EBay. You have to decide what your tolerance for gambling is.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Patrizio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
jkosta@hancock.net

Thank you very much Jay!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: