• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The New 'J' Series WT Tuning Slides ARE HERE NOW !!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For All Wild Thing Owners !!

The All New 'J' Tuning Slides For The Jazz Player

They're available in all the 4 different sizes just as the standard tuning slides are.

How do they differ?

They look like all the other standard Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet Slides, but they don't have the brace from the upper to lower leg. The sizes 1-4 also run the same as to design of the standard round tuning slides.

So What Makes Them So Different?

Where the standard tuning slides all offer strong defined resonance in sound, and strong slotting. with strong and more definite parameters, which makes great for all kinds of playing, The New 'J' series slides offer more flexibility, with a totally different feel, and feel of resistance, just great for Jazz !!

The New 'J' Slides change the feel, and allows the Wild Thing to be even more flexible. The slots are not as pronounced, allows for more fluidity in playing fast jazz type lines. The resistance, is also different, as there is a soft gentle wall, that can easily be blown through in all ranges.

These New J series tuning slides will give you, more real variables to use for different size rooms, and for different acoustics. It's not so much which one plays better, it's now you have more options. It's like having a dial on the horn as to feel, and the size, and shape of sound. For The Jazz Player, this is a dream come true. Available in 4 different sizes. J1, J2, J3. and J4.

#J2 is bright, and adventurous. The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through and upper register is incredible, very focused.

#J3 is somewhat more open then J2, and perhaps a little more crisp. The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through and upper register is incredible, bright and focused.

#J4 Is more open then the #3, and it's a Strong BOLD Sound with Edge. This is a very strong open sound, again The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through and upper register is incredible. Focused but with a larger core.

#J1 Is the most open. It's a Strong Sound with Edge, and tons of carrying power. This is the strongest open sound, again The over all blow is open with a gentle wall of resistance to blow through. Again the upper register is incredible. Focused but with a even larger core.

These slides now make the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet the most versatile Trumpet ever made. Eight very different trumpets all in ONE !!

You won't believe until you try it............

All The Best,

Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes “Wild Thing Trumpets”
COME AND HEAR THE DIFFERENCE
http://www.flipoakes.com

"To read what Wild Thing owners say about their horns, click on this"
http://www.flipoakes.com/testimonials.htm

Flip Oakes
2559 Mottino Dr.
Oceanside, Ca. 92056
760-643-1501
760-643-1511 FAX

To Hear the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet go to
http://www.flipoakes.com/multimedia.htm
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not good enough to discern enough difference with my two slides to be worth the the effort to swap them, so I just stick with #1. Since I don't use the #2 would brace removal put it in the category of the #J2? Or since I can't discern a difference now should I just forget the idea?
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ed,

> I am not good enough to discern enough difference with my two slides to be
> worth the the effort to swap them, so I just stick with #1. Since I don't use
> the #2 would brace removal put it in the category of the #J2? Or since I can't
> discern a difference now should I just forget the idea?

In theory, yes if you remove the brace the #2 will then be like the #J2 slide. I have only done this on the #1 slides, and although they served the purpose for R&D, the newly manufactured J slides are all better as to play, and response, then the R&D one's which should be the same in theory. The #2 or #J2, will still play and sound much different then the #1 or J1 slide. If I were you, I'd just leave your present #2 slide as it is... You might like it better then the J2 anyway. The J2 will have a looser, and different feel to it, and that may, or may not be what you want?

All The Best,

Flip

Flip Oakes
2559 Mottino Dr.
Oceanside, Ca. 92056
760-643-1501
760-643-1511 FAX

[ This Message was edited by: Flip Oakes on 2003-11-26 13:57 ]
Bits&Bytes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoo Flip... I'm still waiting for the CW (country western) slides - because you know I'd like to write some tunes about all the old slides which were better until they ran off with the spit valves, the brass tarnished and I got an achy-breaky heart...

B&B
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&B,

You always crack me up!

Are you still in love with your Wild Thang?

Hope you are doin' well! Drop me a line sometimes.

Warmest regards,

Tom
Bits&Bytes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom...

The are few things in life that you can count on...

-- MPG and fun are always at the different ends of the spectrum.
-- Lawyers and fun never occur in the same space and time.
-- Children are more precious than life itself.
-- If someone is about to kick your butt, it would be a mistake to turn around.
-- The WT Cornet is still the sweetest sound in town.*

B&B

* Of course that was 4 months ago when I actually had time to play it...
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&B! Four months!?! That poor cornet is gonna' be pinin' away fo' shore...

Allow me to rescue the dear lady, and save you some mental anguish as well as you struggle with the knowledge of yo' shameful neglect. Send her to me, for some clean mountain air and tender playing. I'll send her back jezz as soon as all the bad notes are played out of her, I promise!
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,

It's about time for ya to make us all jealous and get a gold short model to have a complete set of goldplated Flip Oakes instruments (Bb and C trumpets and the WT fluglehorn).

Ya don't know what you are missing! Gee, I wonder what you'd name it! Maybe "short 'n sweet?"

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving from Georgia!!!

Warmest regards,

Tom
Bits&Bytes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Don...

I think we could arrange something... XMas is on its way, do you have an extra big stocking?? (if so, you must be shopping at Lane Bryant).

I'm thinking I may try to find a good home for it as I no longer have time to play. Somehow life and time are not running on the same continuum.

I did pick it up and fiddle with it for 15 minutes last night - still sounds sweet as ever. My only option though is to invent an electro-stimuli-chopus o-matic. Something that will let me practice while I sleep...

B&B
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Actually, only MYF (mellow yellow flugel) is golden -- the WT and NTC (Nice Thing C, a semi-private joke) are silver. I have a hankerin' for a short model WT cornet, in gold, but medical bills take precedence this year. Flip said I should get the short one, though -- more versatile, and easier to swap from trumpet to cornet. (In my Praise Team, I bounce from WT to NTC to MYF, sometimes in the same song. This time of year, I get to add picc to the mix -- means I gotta' start practicing the wee beastie! Doing the MS version of Hallelujah in a couple of weeks, and that durn quick little run to from C to G, wait a couple of measures, then G to C, always trips me up!) I'll keep saving my pennies! At least I should finally get to try one next year, assuming I don't end up out of town the week ITG is up in Denver.

Yo B&B,

Lane Bryant? Sure, I'll shop there, if that's what it takes! As for time and life, I understand. Besides work, I have something every evening next week, plus a Saturday morn rehearsal. I try to practice 20-30 minutes over lunch just so I remember what my horns look like on Sunday morning!

Get going on the Sleep-Practice-O'-Matic, would ya' please? Thanks so much!

Later guys and gals - Don
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,

The American Model, or the Long Model, has more of a trumpet blow, and is easier IMO to double back and forth from trumpet to cornet then the short one. However the short one is "THE Cornet" of all cornets.

I either told you wrong, or you misunderstood me...

All The Best,

Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes
2559 Mottino Dr.
Oceanside, Ca. 92056
760-643-1501
760-643-1511 FAX

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Don, Flip is right! Sorry about the medical bills . . . but I see another WT in your future. Maybe I can get out to Denver . . . though probably not, well see. If so I look forward to meeting you.

At the 2002 annual meeting of "The Cornet Conspiracy," a group of serious cornet players, collectors, restorers, scholars and scoundrels (I'm the scoundrel) we all got to try the new WT cornets. Cliff Blackburn was also there with his fine cornets. Everyone liked the short model best . . . but then again, these are diehard cornet players.

Bad . . . and Good for me . . . I liked the flugle and the short model cornet so much that I ended up buying the gold short model cornet that Flip had sent. (I say "Bad" because getting to play one of these for the first time was such a treat that I HAD to buy it. "Good" because of the joy and enjoyment it gives me day in and day out now)

The WT short model and fluglehorn also were made available to members of the Georgia Brass Band (a traditional British Band group) during the 3-day "Cornet Conspiracy" annual get together.

1. Bill, the GBB's wonderful fluglehornist (former Army Bandsman and longtime Salvation Army fluglehornist) totally loved the WT flugle and was amazed by its ease of play, its blow and its sterling intonation. Man, that cat defines how a flugle should be played already and he totally liked it.

2. The short model cornet was also loved by the members. Hearing the GBB a few months ago (I once was a member), Joe Johnson--co-conductor and fine cornetist told me, "Tom, I loved your Wild Thing so much that I went out and got the Kanstul 1530 to save a little money."

I complemented him on his fine new horn . . . but naturally didn't tell him that the two horns, although looking identical, only share the valve cluster and valve slides . . . everything else is different (entire bell and entire leadpipe assembly plus the custom valve alignment and all the tweaking that goes into the post-production enhancement). The 1530 is a fine cornet but the enhancements, tone and performance differences of the WT short model put it in a different league.

As Flip said, the Short Model is the ultimate cornet. Heck, its my favorite instrument of all time period. It's THAT GOOD!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
Bits&Bytes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip is right on... (not as good looking as me, but right just the same).

I've played the short model and the American model side by side. I can "almost" get the American model to sound like the short wrapped model... but not quite.

The American model is much easier to transition from trumpet - once you get the hang of the hot-air (which I'm full of). Also it is so FREAK'N easy to play. Sometimes I have had a phone call, only to walk away, and I can still hear it playing all by itself (and incidentally, it plays much better by itself then when I'm driving). The short model took a bit more ... talent.

------------------

Just as a side note, this may be something to consider: For a limited time I heard that Tom/Flip are offering:

-- Buy one get one free promotional. Buy any WT horn and you will receive Flip's new Greatest Hits Country Western CD, with favorites like "Saddle sore and lonely", "I lassoed you, but missed and got yer mother", "you remind me of a rodeo, cuz you got fat calves", "I'm a bull, you're a heifer", "Bury me in my pick'em up" "A beer can ring for your finger"

-- Due to his Jazz roots Flip has bought all the Cajun and Red Lobster restaurants in Ca. Now until Christmas '03 all WT owners can simply take a proof of purchase WT serial number to any participating Red Lobster for a free all you can eat lobster fest. (Incidentally, I found this promotional not to be in effect in Alabama. I tried it and all I got was a note from the management with Flips initials on it: F.O.)

-- For a limited time, any WT purchased out of the Georgia office comes with a special bonus: One (1) nine mm Glock, One (1) single action 45 Colt, Two (2) fake badges, One (1) T-shirt complete with bullseye on back for any Ex spouse, Three (3) cans of Unique reloading gun powder, One thousand (1000) primers. As an added bonus they are offering a special discount on insurance. (NOTE: health insurance policy does not cover loss of fingers or toes, hands, etc. ALSO NOTE: Life insurance policy is deemed void in the event of loss of life).
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What REALLY concerns me is that I will become infected with whatever has possessed B&B if I stay in northern Alabama long enough. I think we live about 40 minutes away from each other, but believe our water supplies are different (thank goodness).

I have noticed a little mental and emotional discontinuities since playing next to Boofredlay over the last 6 months. I never really made the possible connection till reading Bits and Bytes' post above.

Maybe the cure should be acquiring another WildThing...Tom/Flip any thoughts on this?

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"LONG" one, Flip said I should get the LOOONG one... I was gonna' correct my original post, but then the replies wouldn't make sense... Two "shorts" in my original sentence was one too many. Sigh.... What I get for typing too late at night! Yes, Flip told me what he said -- easier for doublers using the short model, but The Cornet is the orginal short'n.

Gotta' get to bed sooner...

Toodles! - Don
Bits&Bytes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BillWinkle.. Howz it going??

Didn't you get to play with George from southeastern musical a while ago?? Thought he was also playing with Boof.. GMans got two wild things, a short model and a flugal. Flugal really does sound sweet but you know, who can hold one of those crazy things?? I mean it looks like a cornet that some one stuck an air hose in until it blew up all weird...

Let me know when you're free and maybe you, me, George and the Boofmeister can sit around, pick our teeth and scratch our rear-ends sometime.

Boof still doesn't know who I am - try as he may he still doesn't realize I don't exist and am just a little voice inside his head...
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said that???
https://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay
Bits&Bytes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey boofredlay... dlay...dlay This is the voice ...voice....voice in your head ...head...head give all your money to B&B ....to B&B....to B&B

(dang why is there always such a big echoe in here...??)
semusical

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boofred-
Don't listen to the voices, man!!!
Last time I listened to it, it added 12 strokes to my game! And I can't get rid of the vibrato!!!!
semusical

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boofred-
Don't listen to the voices, man!!!
Last time I listened to it, it added 12 strokes to my game! And I can't get rid of the vibrato!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: