• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 1B Vintage One Series trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bixfan1927

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Conn 1B Vintage One Series trumpet Reply with quote

I am planning to purchase a Conn 1B Vintage One Series Professional Bb trumpet, and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular horn (opinions regarding sound quality, features, etc.). General reviews seem most positive. Bach and Yamaha have been recommended to me by professional players; however, my heart is set on the Conn Vintage One (the classic styling is wooing me).
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good horn. So are lots of others with classic styling. If your heart is set on that horn, shouldn't you be exploring the various options?
Arky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a V1 with a Sterling Silver bell that I bought new in 2002. Though it's now a backup horn to my Schilke B5, I don't have any complaints about the horn. Great tonal qualities, response, and intonation, and it really lights up when pushed.
Fit and finish were pretty good overall, though the receiver seemed to be set a bit shallow as my mouthpieces would bottom out against the leadpipe. I had this repaired and have had no problems since. Switching out the "D"-shaped tuning slide with the round one that was provided really makes it feel like a totally different horn.....much more open.
It was my primary player for for 12 years and I still love the horn....the B5 just "fit" me a little better.
shmo_joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Conn 1B Vintage One Series trumpet Reply with quote

I regret selling my sterling silver bell conn V1
these are great horns
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Conn 1B Vintage One Series trumpet Reply with quote

Bixfan1927 wrote:
I am planning to purchase a Conn 1B Vintage One Series Professional Bb trumpet, and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular horn (opinions regarding sound quality, features, etc.). General reviews seem most positive. Bach and Yamaha have been recommended to me by professional players; however, my heart is set on the Conn Vintage One (the classic styling is wooing me).

I have the Conn Vintage One BR model - Rose Brass Bell, It is a great horn capable of just about any sound color you need based on the type of mouthpiece you use.
It can sound like a flugel horn when i use my Curry TC, it sounds like a Orchestral horn when i use my Curry BC, and sounds like a commercial horn when i use my curry 00M.
The short stroke valves are nice as well. The two tuning slides provide quite a different sound from each other. I use the square slide for church and legit stuff, but i mostly play in cover bands so i use the rounder slide for more zip and more open blow.
I highly recommend it, plus you can get them fairly inexpensively these days. Great horn for the money.

regards,

tom
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arky wrote:
I have a V1 with a Sterling Silver bell that I bought new in 2002. Though it's now a backup horn to my Schilke B5, I don't have any complaints about the horn. Great tonal qualities, response, and intonation, and it really lights up when pushed.
Fit and finish were pretty good overall, though the receiver seemed to be set a bit shallow as my mouthpieces would bottom out against the leadpipe. I had this repaired and have had no problems since. Switching out the "D"-shaped tuning slide with the round one that was provided really makes it feel like a totally different horn.....much more open.
It was my primary player for for 12 years and I still love the horn....the B5 just "fit" me a little better.

I'm going for the B5 Next, the Vintage One is great, but i'm dying for a B5!

tom
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I don't play it, but just to add to the list of endorsees, I was on a concert (big band) with a guest trumpet soloist who played a Conn 1 and it was the kind of horn he had been waiting for. He loved it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a gold-plated V1, but sold it about a year ago to help pay for school. I miss that horn. It was well built, played in tune with a great sound, felt great to play, and could be used on any type of gig.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
FWIW, I don't play it, but just to add to the list of endorsees, I was on a concert (big band) with a guest trumpet soloist who played a Conn 1 and it was the kind of horn he had been waiting for. He loved it.

Some years back I played second in a production of 42nd Street. The first book player had a very nice silver plated V1 and just about blew the walls down with it. It was an amazing sounding horn. I played it for a few minutes and I have to say, if I didn't have the horn I have now, I would have gotten a V1. Smooth easy scale, responsive, rich sound, great intonation. It was also comfortable in the hands.

I still may end up getting one...

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Bixfan1927

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Conn Vintage One Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for sharing your input on the Conn Vintage One. If I do purchase it, I will be getting the one with the sterling silver bell and gold trim. I love the color options available for this horn--sweet!
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one for some time. In theory it is quite nice. There were some real fit and finish problems. A colleague who played one had a brace pop off for no apparent reason, mine had done funny plating problems. And I've only ever been able to get the sound in my head from the 37-style Bachs and others, so that is what I stick to now.
fhoward23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Vintage One shallow receiver Reply with quote

Arky wrote:

Hello "Arky." My son is a sophomore in college, non-music major, and he was recently accepted into his university's jazz ensemble for non-music majors. When he entered high school I had purchased for him a used Conn Vintage One trumpet, sterling silver bell, which he is still playing on. I think that the horn dates from around 2002. I play horn in a community orchestra. I learned about the importance of the "gap" on trumpets not long ago. From Harrelson Trumpets I purchased a tool to measure the gap on my son's trumpet and I measured the gap with our recently-purchased Lotus 7XL2 mouthpiece, and the gap seemed to be zero. In fact the mouthpiece seemed to be actually touching the leadpipe when inserted into the receiver, though the mouthpiece was not loose in the receiver. For our son's jazz ensemble he will be using a slightly shallower Lotus 7M, which I purchased for him after we received the 7XL2. I assume that the zero gap also occurs with the 7M. How were you able to have the leadpipe on your Conn Vintage One repaired? We live in Silver Spring, Maryland, and a good trumpet technician is nearby, Randy Mueller, in Washington, D.C. I am sure that Randy could make whatever repair might be needed. Also, I have read that Mr. Schilke preferred a zero gap for his trumpets, and I also viewed a video of high-note virtuoso Lynn Nicholson in which he said that he prefers a very small gap. Since you now play on a Schilke trumpet, perhaps you have ideas on what gap would be appropriate? Thanks.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the 1-BR-46 model from the year it was introduced ( 1999 ) while Fred Powell was still with Conn. Fred apparently played a large role in the design and launch of the V! and worked with some pro players to get their feedback. After he left Conn I understand the quality in build of the V1 went downhill.

I love mine, and like someone else noted, you can do a lot with it if you use the right mouthpiece. I have always had a warm tone but when I play the V1 the sound is darker than any of my other horns.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before COVID hit, I spent a nice day testing trumpets and the winners of the day were two Bachs 43 and LR43 along with a V1 in all brass. The sound of the V1 was notably broader than the Bach sound and it was a great horn overall. I didn’t really have the money but the horn is up there with the best horns I played. Also really liked the sound difference compared to the Bach and would have no problem to use it in big band but also classical or church. Great horn.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, I got to talk with the regional Conn-Selmer rep about wanting to try a Conn Vintage One. He said he'd reach out to me if there were any in the area. a few weeks later, he called me and said there was a demo available at a Music & Arts store in Burlington, NC. It had been played by none other than the great Jens Lindemann when he filled in for a member of the Boston Brass at UNC-Greensboro back when they were playing Conn instruments. It was a 1BRGP-46 (if I remember correctly), and according to the Conn Rep, was hand chosen by Fred Powell for this gig. After the gig, the Conn rep delivered it over to the Music & Arts store in the Burlington, NC area to sell. I took a day off from work and drove up to give it a try. I got to play a number of Xenos and Strads against the V1. I walked out of the store with that V1...it out played everything in the store. It was a great playing horn, but I got talked into selling it so I could "blend better" with a group I was playing with at the time. Bad move. I kicked myself everyday for years wishing I had kept that horn.

Fast forward to last year, and I saw a 1BSGP-46 (Gold Plated with Sterling Bell) for sale at a very good price and jumped on it. It turned out to be in mint condition, and there are no build quality issues. I didn't expect it to play as well as the hand picked horn I had previously, but was taken by surprise when I blew the first notes. It plays every bit as nicely as the previous horn...and the Sterling Bell even adds a little extra. It can play fairly dark, but takes on a nice edge when pushed. To be honest, I did get to play a couple of Vintage Ones that were not stellar, but they were still all good horns. This one will NOT get away from me...
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I always wanted to compare a brass bell, a gold brass bell, and a sterling bell V1. Would be nice but they’re hard to come by at the same time w/o buying all three.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: