• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo Methods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcquoit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts about the relative merits of the Hickman (Big Book) and the Webster methods for piccolo? Is it useful to have both?
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hickman Big Book and love it!! I have never worked with the other book. I always believe in having more then enough material so you have a variety of material to pull information from. As I say the more options you have the better!!
Adam
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and think they both have a lot to offer. Actually, I have all four -- Hickman's big and little, and the two Webster volumes. Lots of good stuff. Less overlap than you might think. Cheap compared to the price of the picc, and lots of good info and playing material.

FWIWFM - Don
johntpt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a beginning picc player probably the best would be the first Hickman picc book, "The Piccolo Trumpet". This has some warmup studies and some etudes that don't go too high.

When I was in school I played some Clarke on the picc every day, usually study 2 or 3, starting in the low register and gradually working into the upper regster, always focusing on a pretty sound and good intonation. Once the sound gets thin or ugly as you go higher, STOP and come back to it later. Playing the piccolo is not about eeking out high notes but about making a nice sound.

Also get ahold of some Musica Rara publications, expecially the Bach Complete Trumpet Rep Vol 3, and the Purcell Complete Trumpet Rep. These 2 books will keep you going for many hours on the piccolo!

JU
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get hold of both Hickman's and both of Webster's books.

Take time to read them as well as doing the exercises. These books are a goldmine of information.

I second the Clarke recommendation as well. If you are using a 4 valve piccolo, remember to get that fourth finger up to the same speed as the others.

I quite like some of the exercises in the Arban as well.

If you can play all of the Bach, Handel & Purcell repertoire books, you are well on the way to playing these instruments well. It will also get you well and truly sorted for the most common transpositions!
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get both of David Hickman's piccolo books! Very good information and useful! I haven't seen the Gerald Webster piccolo methods, but I have heard excellent things about them.
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. The Getchell books are great for picc practice! Play 'em as written, sounding up an octave...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: