• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

good audition material.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Characteristic Study #13 out of the Arban's is a very impressive study to learn. It was has been recomended to me to play at a DCI band audition this winter.

Ben Love
Virtuoso Punk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 1B. It is quite difficult to perform the Haydn on a Bb horn. Not only is the sound just kinda whacky, but doing 18th-century articulations on what would be your horn's high C area? Um, again, that's just not pretty unless you've put a LOT of time into it.

Try stuff by Bozza, like the Rhapsodie. His stuff is accepted literature, cool-sounding yet sophisticated, and not so advanced in technical demand that you can't make music. Well, some of his stuf IS demanding, but the Rhapsodie and a few others are not. Maybe the Badinage would work, too.

Just please do not do the Goedicke Concert Etude. That got pounded into my head all through high school by every trumpeter I knew, and now I want that thing wiped off the face of the earth!!! LOL. Just kidding. If you like it, go for it.

If you like modern stuff, try the Persichetti, Hindemith, Honegger, Plog, Genzmer (need endurance for this one), Bitsch, Sutermeister, or Hovhaness stuff, to name a few.

Oh yeah, you are auditioning for undergrad, right? Not graduate? Just making sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Virtuoso Punk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-10 01:57, Jam_Man_Tpt wrote:
Characteristic Study #13 out of the Arban's is a very impressive study to learn. It was has been recomended to me to play at a DCI band audition this winter.

Ben Love

Band?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BarbaraJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found on the web: you can't play your audition at Juilliard (undergrad) using an E trumpet.
from the site:
Note: Undergraduate trumpet applicants are requested to perform their auditions on B-flat and/or C trumpets exclusively.
http://www.juilliard.edu/admissions/musicaudition.html
jdh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a talk about what they look for in college auditions, at least at Juilliard. They were tired of people going in to auditions playing the Haydn or Hummel on and Eb or E trumpet that they couldn't play well. Same goes with piccolo playing. My suggestions.....

-stay away from the Arutunian......overplayed. Most teachers are just plain tired of it, as am I after playing it for a solid year straight. Of the people that auditioned for schools the same time as I did, about half were playing this..... Separate yourself with something else of quality.

-of Haydn and Hummel, don't butcher it on Bb or C....play it if you can, but things to look at are trills. Not to many people can play the end of the first movement of Hummel on Bb...
Not many people can play Haydn cleanly either. Therefore, HSers may want to look at other options.

so....what to play?? my suggestions:

Kent Kennan -Sonata
Halsey Stevens -Sonata
Hindemith - Sonata
Honnegar -Intrata (on C trumpet)
Elesco - Legende (on C trumpet)

They big point is to play some thing that you can play!! Concetrate on only Don't try and impress them with something that is over your head, just play your best and sound good!!! Sound, rhythm, intonation, style, poise.....those are what will get you into school. Also, in terms or orchestral excerpts, choolse a good variety. Here was the list that worked for me:

Mahler 5
Mahler 3 - Posthorn (with CR bag)
Pines of Rome - off-stage solo
Leonore 2 & 3
Petrushka
Pulcinella suite - toccata

Those will give a very good variety and are not too much to work up. Well, good luck on your auditions and if you are looking at Juilliard, look me up!!

Jeff Holbrook

[ This Message was edited by: CYSOtrumpet on 2002-09-22 04:34 ]
preshuss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play something that showcases the strongest aspects of your playing--don't overextend yourself. Don't be afraid to leave the beaten path. Those who have sat for hours on an audition panel listening to the same 6 excerpts and 100 mediocre variations of the Haydn, Hummel, and Arutunian can tell you that someone who dares to show a little originality will be the one to make an impression. The piece that got me into juilliard was my own transcription of a section of bach's 1st cello suite.

Artistic ingenuity paired with musical assurance will make a big impression.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: