• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

strong colleges w/strong trumpet programs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarbaraJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would appreciate advice on colleges or universities with strong academics as well as very strong orchestral trumpet teacher(s). My daughter will be auditioning for conservatories this year, but you can't know until Jan if there are openings in your instrument. She has a wonderful teacher and will be ready for the auditions but is also a high-level academic student. This year she will have completed 6 AP classes in school (calculus, composition, govt.&politics, physics, music theory, and us history), so she'll also be prepared for competitive universities. As it stands now, she will apply for the Juilliard School, Curtis, Eastman and Manhattan. She will definitely apply to Northwestern. She attends the pre-college program at Juilliard as a student of Kevin Cobb of the ABQ. She is, as I understand these things (very unmusical mom), a strong lyrical player. Again, suggestions on academic schools with good teachers/music programs would be greatly appreciated.
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter, a high school senior and a flute player, is going through the same process as your daughter. She wants to major in flute performance but after a summer of of "nothing but music" at Interlochen she's decided to apply only to music programs affiliated with strong colleges so she has the oppotunity to cultivate her other interests.

Besides Northwestern she is making application to Rochester (Eastman), Rice U in Houston and Boston U. all of whom have great flute instructors. Another she is considering is Peabody which is affliated with Johns Hopkins, although the flute instructors don't come as highly rated.

Although it is far from you, (and who wants her daughter to go far from home?) Rice is a school she might consider. Its a top 25 school and it has the Shepherd School of Music which is very good. Prior to his death last year Armando Ghitalla was the trumpet instructor and I believe they have lured Marie Spezialie (sp ?) away from Indiana to replace him. She is supposed to be a great teacher. --This is my daughter's first choice because the flute teacher, Leone Buyse is great, and if you get in the school you are assured of taking from her.

FYI: Most of the schools mentioned do have a double major opportunity if your daughter is so inclined. We starting filling out the Northwestern application last night and there is actually a special box to check for music majors who want to double major.
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she's doing well with Kevin, she has a good chance at Juilliard. I went to school with Kev and he's a great guy adn a great player. If she goes there, I know Juilliard used to have a partnership program with Columbia University (I had several classmate friends of mine do it), something she might want to check out. Let me know what happens.
rich
BarbaraJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, Kevin has been the very best teacher, and a kind and strong mentor. He has helped her so much. I know Juilliard has the reciprocity with Columbia and Curtis with UPenn. We didn't know anyone who had actually taken classes there, though! (There is a joint 5yr BA/MA going to both at the same time. That, I think,is too much stress.) In fact in one guidebook it basically said conservatory teachers didn't like you to take "real" classes. The big worry, besides the auditions themeselves, is ..what if there are no openings this coming year. She thinks both Curtis and Juilliard should have two trumpet openings, but I don't think they'll know for sure for a while. I just want to be sure she has good choices.
Pat..I think your daughter was one of my daughter Rachel's cabinmates at Interlochen. Pretty small world.

[ This Message was edited by: BarbaraJ on 2002-09-12 23:14 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add a couple of public schools to your list. The University of Michigan is an excellent academic/musical balance. Depending on the field of non-music interest other schools might also be good, such as the University of Texas, University of Southern California, The University of Illinois, or Indiana University.

My personal opinion is that Northwestern is likely the very best of all the schools listed for what you are seeking.

You should be aware that if your daughter is intent on a performing career that there will be pressure at most high-powered competitive music schools for her to minimize her non-music responisibilities in order to focus on the major. This is mandatory in the short term for most people to keep up with their peers. However, it differs with every individual student and isn't necessarily the best idea for personal development in the long-term.

You should just be forewarned that music classes, study and practice require 8-12 hours per day on the music courses and practice/performance assignments alone at most pre-professional music schools. Academic responsibilities would be in addition to that.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-09-13 16:11 ]
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara: When I told Katie about a female high school trumpet player from New Jersey who will have taken 6 AP classes by the end of the year she said "That's got to be Rachel from my cabin!" I heard Rachel play first trumpet in the Tschaikovsy 4th and she sounded great.

FYI: the PH who also responded to your inquiry
is Pat Harbison who is not only a professional trumpet player and a professor at Indiana, but someone who has graciously taken a lot of his time to give advice on this forum. He knows what he is talking about and doesn't seem to mind answering questions.
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara,
Next time she sees Kevin, have her ask him if he's still in touch with Brian Benson. (another classmate) His wife (yet another classmate) did the Juilliard/Columbia thing (or was it Barnard?). Anyhoo, quite a few students do it. In fact I knew a guy who was getting his MM with me at Juilliard, working on a PhD. in Physics at Columbia, and getting a medical degree from Harvard. 'Course he wasn't exactly "normal" . Also, you might want to look at University of MD. Chris Gekker (my teacher for most of my undergrad/Kevin's predecessor in ABQ) is a fabulous teacher and a truly world-class performer. He has built quite a studio down here. If you have any more questions, shoot me an e-mail.
Rich
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to look at Brevard College in Brevard, NC. The trumpet instructor there, Ruth Still, is top notch. She studied at Eastman, Juilliard and Ecole des Beux Arts in France. Her teachers included Armando Ghitalla, William Vacchiano and Nadia Boulanger.

Brevard is indeed a small school but the emphasis is on both academics and music. I got the best training of my career at this tiny school and during the summers I attended the Brevard Music Center studying and performing with some of the nation's top musicians.

I know it doesn't have the name recognition as the conservatories but the school puts out some players! Also, since it is such a small school there is *lots* of personalized attention given to the students and there are no TAs who teach classes. There are no TAs at all since Brevard does not offer Master's studies...yet.

Feel free to check it out at http://www.brevard.edu or if you'd like to email me or Ruth Still directly, just drop me a line. Good luck in your search!

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
BarbaraJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is her list as of now, in no particular order.
Juilliard, Eastman, Curtis, Manhattan
Northwestern, U Maryland, U Wisconsin
those are about as far away as we can do.
If anyone has been to Eastman..how long does it really take to go over to UR and does anyone do that?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your inclusion of Wisconsin surprises me, both academically and musically. It's not that it might not be a fine school in both areas. I am just unfamiliar with it as a performance oriented music school and it isn't NORMALLY thought of as being in the upper tier of Big Ten music schools (which is basically NWU, Michigan, & Indiana).

I am sure it is a solid program (as are Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Penn State, etc.)

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-09-24 08:05 ]
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington State University! It get's my vote because I go there! The music department has really started to come on strong the last several years. The 2nd place winner at the ITG jazz competion last year is from WSU.

Here is a link to WSU's Music dept.

http://www.libarts.wsu.edu/musicandtheatre/music.htm

Here is a great link about academics at WSU

http://www.wsunews.wsu.edu/detail.asp?StoryID=3283
jdh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachel's Mom!!! This is Jeff, her trumpet friend from camp and now at Juilliard. Going through the entire process myself last year, here is a good list I think is pretty well rounded. Rachel can scratch off what she may....

Juilliard (good times!!)
Curtis
Eastman
Northwestern (speaking of academics...)
Manhattan
Indiana
U of Illinois (an under-recognized school....my former teacher, Michael Ewald, is AMAZING and would be great for Rachel!!!)

That is the magic list. I can see how she would put U of Wisconson with John Aley there, but that would not be on my list. Hope this helps!! (I'm sure I will actually get to meet you soon!!)

PS....TWO trumpet students of Mark Gould are taking classes at Columbia. This is not the double degree, just individual classes. Also, another trumpet took one last year. They are taking ecinomics I believe.... 3 out of the 13 in the Juilliard studio should show you that not only is it possible, it is VERY likely.......but not as a 1st year.

PPS........I am almost sure on this.. Curtis will take two and Juilliard will take 3-4 between BOTH BM and MM. So most likely, like she thought, 2 spots at both. They are graduating 4 this year.

Jeff Holbrook

[ This Message was edited by: CYSOtrumpet on 2002-09-22 04:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: CYSOtrumpet on 2002-09-22 04:13 ]
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,
Good to see another "yard" student here. I got my BM (heh..heh...I said "BM") in '93 and my MM in '95. I studied with Gekker for my first three years and Gould for my second three. Who you studyin' with? Next time you see Ray, Mark and Kevin, tell them Rich says "hi".
Later,
Rich
jdh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently studying with Ray Mase, but I will also be getting occasional lessons and masterclasses with Mr. Smith and Mr. Gould. And sure, I'll tell them hello!
BarbaraJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich..I forgot to say, Kevin said he had not seen Brian since graduation.
Our family has been slightly off track here, with Rachel in pain, not able to eat or drink and hardly able to play starting a week ago Wed. She turned out to have esophagal ulcers from a medication she had taken. She did her seating audition and a youth orchestra audition in the middle, after three days of no food and minimal water, before we knew what was wrong. Last spring she went to the ER for abdominal pain and was told they found nothing much but given pain killers. She came home, played an Easter gig the next morning. the next day they realized they'd missed her problem. She had a ruptured appendix. She spent a long time in hosptial and a month home from school. So this was pretty scary till they figured out what was wrong. Now she's feeling better, and the great school hunt continues. Thanks to all for the advice and help thats been offered here, and offline. We've learned so much.
UsedBits
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he has not yet retired, consider Dr. Elmer White at Appalation State in Boone, NC. His dissertation was on the Roy Stevens trumpet embochure.

Excellent teacher. I should know! I studied with him for 2 weeks one summer (1975). It completely changed the rest of my playing career.

p.s. I'm not a pro - just a player not having the sense to stop playing.
Benge Bb, 5x, ml #8162
Benge C, 2x+, mlp #7481
Benge D/Eb, ml #6579
Benge Flug, ml #17xxx
Stomvi piccolo, m15, #901885
Boston 3-Star 1 NE Plus Ultra LP #22019
Martin Committee #151322
Bach Strad (NY) 7-10-62, #2003
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: