• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fake gear on Ebay and TH Marketplace

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahler2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Fake gear on Ebay and TH Marketplace Reply with quote

Hey TH!
Just saw a very suspicious-looking Bach Mount Vernon 1 1/2C 24/24 on TH Marketplace, which was removed. Now it's on Ebay, and people are bidding on it. Not totally sure, but I sure wouldn't be betting a couple hundred dollars on such a suspicious looking piece. Watch out for fakes, guys!

*first post over*
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are definitely fake Bachs on EBay. But I am referring to the $300 new ones that infringe on a registered trademark by using the Bach logo in photos, use Bach model numbers or something imperceptibly altered, and now have laser engraved bells duplicating the also registered trademark bell crest (unfortunate - the printed bell crest was SO easy to spot). EBay is allowing these sellers to pay for sponsored placement alongside the real thing when people search for Bach Trumpet, etc. I don't understand why Conn-Selmer is not taking legal action against EBay - but then I don't know what it takes legally to be deemed complicit in a fraud..

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Europe at least and the UK rightsholders currently rely on their ability to enforce their rights on intermediary service providers (such as content platforms) through “notice and takedown” orders, where intermediaries are required (through injunctions or voluntary schemes) to block access or remove content where instructed.

Article 14 of the E-Commerce Directive 15, as well as Section 97A of the Copyright Designs and Patent Act 1988, requires that there is actual knowledge of unlawful activity on behalf of the content or service provider.

In eBay's case, they were served an injunction for sale on its site of illegal merchandise because (long story short) their business model should have led them to identify infringing material. Basically, they advertise things and weren't a passive web host. The particular case was L'Oréal SA and Others v eBay International AG and Others [2009] EWHC 1094 (Ch) if anyone is struggling to get to sleep yet.

They now have a voluntary scheme - the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) programme where rights holders can inform eBay of infringements.

I'm not sure how quickly they react - I once reported a list of a fake Bach - and I'm pretty sure it went the distance and some sucker ended up with it. Nor sure if it works the same in the US, but I would have thought something similar would be in place.

Why doesn't Bach enforce? Maybe they do more than we are aware. Maybe some organisations don't think it's worth the time and effort, especially if there has been any negative impact through automated identification and false positives. Maybe it's a big old game of whack-a-mole.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe it's "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" approach. Bad (free) publicity is better than none.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
Or maybe it's "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" approach. Bad (free) publicity is better than none.

Not in this case. When unknowing parents buy these TSOs and then they fail, and the tech they get taken too says I cant fix this - the buyer gets mad at Bach, and posts inaccurate statements on social media about poor quality and not honoring warranties. These "products" are out there because buyers ARE gullible enough to think they are getting the real thing and keep buying them.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
veery715 wrote:

Not in this case. When unknowing parents buy these TSOs and then they fail, and the tech they get taken too says I cant fix this - the buyer gets mad at Bach, and posts inaccurate statements on social media about poor quality and not honoring warranties. These "products" are out there because buyers ARE gullible enough to think they are getting the real thing and keep buying them.

THIS!! I can’t think of anything positive to come out of counterfeiting horns or anything else, everyone except the seller loses.

Brad
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
veery715 wrote:

THIS!! I can’t think of anything positive to come out of counterfeiting horns or anything else, everyone except the seller loses.

Brad
Despite my comment I actually agree with both of you! The problem as I see it, though, is that Bach (or Conn-Selmer), as an entity, probably just doesn't give a damn about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: