• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help me pick a trumpet for my 12 yr old son.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerobits

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Help me pick a trumpet for my 12 yr old son. Reply with quote

I have a 30% discount at a local store. I'm going to use it to buy my 12 yr old son a trumpet. Which of the horns here would you recommend and why?

https://reverb.com/shop/downtown-sounds?product_type=band-and-orchestra&category=trumpets

thanks!
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Recommended trumpets Reply with quote

Duplicate
Jupiter 9e silverplated short shank mouthpiece
Bach Megatone 5B mouthpiece

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Mon May 20, 2024 12:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH. I have no knowledge of any of those trumpets, so can not even guess. Generally speaking, trumpets that are new and in that price range will not be very good. I guess they are cheap stencil horns and you MIGHT have problems getting parts or repairs done on them.

Up your budget and find a used name brand horn. I personally dislike most all of the Bachs, but you will get many recommendations to "get a Bach".

In the price range of the trumpets you showed on Reverb, I would look for a used Olds, Conn, Yamaha, or Getzen.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a budget, a new or used Yamaha horn is a good bet. I would steer clear of horns that don't come from major suppliers like Bach, Yamaha, Getzen,...
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this to be a 'first trumpet' for your son, or does he already have some playing experience, and familiar with how a trumpet operates mechanically - the valve action, moving the slides, etc.

Of those instruments, I'd consider the Reynolds, or the Blessing. They are both 'old time' made in USA instruments. I use a more recent version of the Blessing, and it works fine for me as adult amateur in local community band - it would also be fine for school playing (I used it as a 'community member' in local college band).
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended trumpets Reply with quote

Are you planning on having a trumpet to leave at school and one at home.

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Mon May 20, 2024 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holton T602 is a solid student-model trumpet. Of the trumpet on this list, that's the one I'd suggest.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd skip all those and go on facebook marketplace and buy a used Bach, Yamaha, Getzen, or Jupiter for $100-$200 that I could personally inspect and pay for in person.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended trumpets Reply with quote

Great gift for your child.Will he be in school band? If so, ask band director for trumpet recommendations. Also he may have slightly used band trumpets for sale.
The trumpets on the website are used and overpriced. My recommendation, due to double trumpet case, would be the Reynolds. Followed by the Holton and then the Blessing.Have your son play all the trumpets that interest him.
In the long run, you are better to buy one of the major brands: Bach, Getzen,Yamaha.
These brands will blended in better in the band, than vintage or off brands.
I have owed both vintage and modern trumpets/cornets. The modern trumpets are easier to play and are in tune.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Help me Reply with quote

Hello all,
If I was choosing just between those horns, I would pick the Holton and then buy a new Protect case for it. A newer used Yamaha 200 Advantage would be a better bet. Might look nicer also. Sometimes kids like the shine. Makes them better motivated.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I missed it, I'm surprised no one recommended an Olds Ambassador as a first horn for a young student.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
Unless I missed it, I'm surprised no one recommended an Olds Ambassador as a first horn for a young student.

Someone on Reddit argued that even the newest Ambassadors are well over 40 years old by now, and that determing its condition is becoming harder. As such, they'd stopped recommending the Ambassador as a good pick for new players. The good ones are still good picks, but finding one isn't easy, unless you know what to look for (and if you do, you're probably not asking for recommendations).

Even though I'm an Olds fan, it makes sense to me.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mpc
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 2:53 am    Post subject: Thumb saddle Reply with quote

It may be slightly off topic. But what is the importance of having a 1st slide thumb saddle for a student learning to play the trumpet?
zerobits

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a great forum this is. Thank you all for the replies.

My son is 12 and has been playing for a few years. He's had a private teacher the whole time and also plays in school band. I sheepishly report that he's been playing a mendini the whole time and it's miraculous that the valves haven't seized up yet.

Trumpet comes easily to him. He can do a fairly good job with the head to Joy Spring. But the motivation not so much. He practices when I remind him to and just enough to get by.

At one point I was going to spend some money on a pro horn for him but now I'm waiting until it's clear he's taken ownership of life as a musician. I don't want to spend $1k+ and then have him stop playing when I'm not around to poke him.

I have a credit at shop that I linked to which gives me %30 off the asking price, which is why I was hoping to grab one of those to tide us over until it's time to by a nicer horn, if that time ever comes.

thanks again!
Bill
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like music is his first priority in terms of expression or hobbies -- definitely not pro material, because he doesn't have pro interest, in my opinion.

Now, if practising the horn is what he does when he should be doing something else, then yeah, give him what he needs to continue and improve.

But if you have to poke him, let it go.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zerobits wrote:

At one point I was going to spend some money on a pro horn for him but now I'm waiting until it's clear he's taken ownership of life as a musician. I don't want to spend $1k+ and then have him stop playing when I'm not around to poke him.

This specific player aside, do note that when you spend $1400 on a used Bach Strad or Yamaha Xeno, you get $1400 back when it is sold again.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a private teacher, that's a good go to.

Perhaps one of the teacher's former students has stopped playing and would have a horn available.

Don't get hung up on the 30%, if the horns are over priced, 30% might not help.

While everyone here will have a suggested horn, when getting a new horn you need to factor what shape it's in. Again, the private teacher's input may be of great value.

While the advise that a $1k Stradivarius used is a $1K Stradivarius a year from now rings true, but only if it's well cared for in that year with regular cleaning on lubrication.

At this stage, don't neglect having him seriously play test the horn. Bring music that he can play to test the horn out. I've had High school kids come over to buy a $1500 horn, play it for 10 seconds, "Fine" and that's it. If he doesn't want to seriously evaluate the horn, then you probably don't need to purchase a serious horn.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the teacher. Try to find a used pro trumpet in good condition. The trumpets on the list are either unknown Chinese brands or long defunct, rode hard American made student horns than can frequently be purchased for under $100 on Shopgoodwill.com.

Scenario:

With a quality instrument, your son practices more, gets better, makes the auditions for HS bands. In college, he makes the auditions for various college ensembles and gets out of having to take Music Appreciation classes, falls in love with the 2nd chair clarinet player, graduates, stops playing as he pursues his advanced studies to become a corporate lawyer.

After a few years, looking for a break from the pressures of work, he remembers how he enjoyed playing trumpet. He digs out his still functional pro level horn, stumbles on the Trumpet Herald Comeback Players forum, finds a private teacher, and joins a community band where he continues to play long after his retirement.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiotpt wrote:
While the advise that a $1k Stradivarius used is a $1K Stradivarius a year from now rings true, but only if it's well cared for in that year with regular cleaning on lubrication.

I would slightly amend this to “only if it appears to have been well cared for.”

If there isn’t any visible damage one could most likely flip it online for good money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: