• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wynton's Bach


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
joshferrer
New Member


Joined: 26 Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Wynton's Bach Reply with quote

I'm sure there might already be a post on this but maybe someone can help me out.

Anyone know around when was the last year Wynton played on his Bach? I love the sound he gets on that Bach (not that I don't love his sound on his Monette).

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Posts: 618

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been on Monettes for over 30 years now. I think Hot House Flowers was the last album he did on the Bach. That was 1984.
_________________
There is one reason that I practice: boats and hoes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bach_again
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 2275
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think hot house flowers was his last album on the Bach. He played a Monette mouthpiece on his Bach for a bit before he made the swap.

As for preference? Wynton on Bach, any day. He's a genius of the trumpet, but I prefer his sound on the Bach.

Mike
_________________
Check out Barkley Microphones!

www.facebook.com/barkleymic
www.instagram.com/barkleymicrophones
www.barkleymic.com

John Lake, solo trumpet, Infinity ribbon mic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkI7uvqDzc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 5443
Location: KC MO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Yeah I think hot house flowers was his last album on the Bach. He played a Monette mouthpiece on his Bach for a bit before he made the swap.

As for preference? Wynton on Bach, any day. He's a genius of the trumpet, but I prefer his sound on the Bach.

Mike


Actually I think that's backwards... On Black Codes he's playing an early M with a Bach Mouthpiece. I think J Mood is the first album all M equipment but I'm not sure of that. The Tomasi Album same thing (early M C but Bach mpc).

-T
_________________
http://austincustombrass.com
http://trentaustinmusic.com
http://instagram.com/austincustombrass
Taking a forum break email me to chat anytime (info@austincustombrass.com)


Last edited by TrentAustin on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Posts: 925
Location: Massachusetts/New Hampshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that Jolivet/Tomasi album!

TrentAustin wrote:
bach_again wrote:
Yeah I think hot house flowers was his last album on the Bach. He played a Monette mouthpiece on his Bach for a bit before he made the swap.

As for preference? Wynton on Bach, any day. He's a genius of the trumpet, but I prefer his sound on the Bach.

Mike


Actually I think that's backwards... On Black Codes he's playing an early M with a Bach Mouthpiece. I think J Mood is the first album all M equipment but I'm not sure of that. The Tomasi Album same thing (early M C but Back mpc).

-T
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member


Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Posts: 402
Location: St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never enjoyed his sound on the Monette. Way too diffuse, dull, and no high overtones. Just sounds like a bucket mute is constantly over the bell. Bach sound was colorful and sassy, brilliant and flexible. He really needs to go back...
_________________
Trumpet: LA Benge 5X,
Flugelhorn: Jupiter 1100R
Mou‘Pieces: Reeves 42SV 692SL, Custom unmarked 30-throat double cup, Bach Commercial 7MV, Holton 66, Bach Corp. 3, Gustat No. 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 04 Oct 2015
Posts: 676
Location: South Carolina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for preference? Wynton on Bach, any day. He's a genius of the trumpet, but I prefer his sound on the Bach.


I'm glad that somebody else said it.

I have all the respect in the world for Mr. Marsalis, but I definitely prefer his sound on the Bach.

Was he playing a Vindabona on "Think of One"?

Warm regards,
Grits
_________________
Bach Stradivarius 37 (1971)
Schilke HC 1
King Master Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
A bunch of mouthpieces, none of which are the right feel, size, depth or sound - except for my Curry 3FLD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Posts: 618

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
I have never enjoyed his sound on the Monette. Way too diffuse, dull, and no high overtones. Just sounds like a bucket mute is constantly over the bell. Bach sound was colorful and sassy, brilliant and flexible. He really needs to go back...


I don't want to pile on here but I have to agree. Unfortunately at this point I'm pretty sure there is no going back. Wynton has "Monette 4 life" tattooed on his inner thigh. Don't ask me how I know this.
_________________
There is one reason that I practice: boats and hoes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dmamazon
Veteran Member


Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Posts: 164
Location: Hilliard, Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a video on youtube that I cannot for the life of me find. It's Wynton playing a jazz show when he played a Bach with the 65 bell and it's absolutely GORGEOUS playing. I will still try and find it but if any of you find it let me know. I prefer his sound on the Bach stuff..even though for the majority of my life he has played on the Monette equip.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Posts: 618

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmamazon wrote:
There was a video on youtube that I cannot for the life of me find. It's Wynton playing a jazz show when he played a Bach with the 65 bell and it's absolutely GORGEOUS playing. I will still try and find it but if any of you find it let me know. I prefer his sound on the Bach stuff..even though for the majority of my life he has played on the Monette equip.


I thought he played a 72 Vindabona?
_________________
There is one reason that I practice: boats and hoes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
homebilly
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 24 Dec 2010
Posts: 1913
Location: Venice, CA & Paris, France

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the good fortune to be at the Hot House Flowers recording.
brandord invited me.

Wynton sounded beautiful in that big room at Columbia

what a memory
_________________
ron meza (deadbeat jazz musician) & (TH 5 post ghost neighborhood watch ringleader)
waiting for Fed-Ex to deliver a $50 trumpet to my door. shipping was prepaid by seller of course!
http://ronmeza.com
http://highdefinitionbigband.com


Last edited by homebilly on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
brassmusician
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Feb 2016
Posts: 253

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how as fans of trumpet artists we sometimes prefer one of their equipment choices over another. As a big fan of James Morrison I love his sound on the Yamaha signature model he used to play rather than the Schagerl horn he went to a few years ago. Just something extra in the sound to my ears with the Schagerl sounding a little duller by comparison.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bach_again
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 2275
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
i had the good fortune to be at a gat Hot House Flowers recording
he sounded beautiful in that big room at Columbia

what a memory


WOW - I bet that was special!!!
_________________
Check out Barkley Microphones!

www.facebook.com/barkleymic
www.instagram.com/barkleymicrophones
www.barkleymic.com

John Lake, solo trumpet, Infinity ribbon mic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkI7uvqDzc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bach_again
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 2275
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is 1988.

Is that an early Monette mpc, Trent? It's hard to see.

What a sound!!! Oh my.


Link

_________________
Check out Barkley Microphones!

www.facebook.com/barkleymic
www.instagram.com/barkleymicrophones
www.barkleymic.com

John Lake, solo trumpet, Infinity ribbon mic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkI7uvqDzc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dbanks
Regular Member


Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
trumanjazzguy wrote:
I have never enjoyed his sound on the Monette. Way too diffuse, dull, and no high overtones. Just sounds like a bucket mute is constantly over the bell. Bach sound was colorful and sassy, brilliant and flexible. He really needs to go back...


I don't want to pile on here but I have to agree. Unfortunately at this point I'm pretty sure there is no going back. Wynton has "Monette 4 life" tattooed on his inner thigh. Don't ask me how I know this.


+1-Ive always felt that the Monette does not give him anything better than a Bach did in his earlier performances-it would be interesting to hear from him why he prefers Monette
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 5443
Location: KC MO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
This is 1988.

Is that an early Monette mpc, Trent? It's hard to see.

What a sound!!! Oh my.


Link


Yes it is lightweight which looks like a copy of a Stork blank or Olds blank. This is 2-3 years after Black Codes I do believe. Cover of Black Codes is a Bach mpc inside the Monette instrument.

-T
_________________
http://austincustombrass.com
http://trentaustinmusic.com
http://instagram.com/austincustombrass
Taking a forum break email me to chat anytime (info@austincustombrass.com)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Posts: 697
Location: Sacramento, Ca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbanks wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
trumanjazzguy wrote:
I have never enjoyed his sound on the Monette. Way too diffuse, dull, and no high overtones. Just sounds like a bucket mute is constantly over the bell. Bach sound was colorful and sassy, brilliant and flexible. He really needs to go back...


I don't want to pile on here but I have to agree. Unfortunately at this point I'm pretty sure there is no going back. Wynton has "Monette 4 life" tattooed on his inner thigh. Don't ask me how I know this.


+1-Ive always felt that the Monette does not give him anything better than a Bach did in his earlier performances-it would be interesting to hear from him why he prefers Monette


Monette instruments probably help him play and sound the way he wants.

As someone who can afford any instrument and makes a living playing, he has access to and can pick any instrument. Why would he choose one that doesn't help him do best what he wants to do?
_________________
-Tom Hall-
Bach 37 B flat
Bach 239 C w/Akright Leadpipe
Schilke E3L E flat
Stomvi Piccolo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Felix c
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 566
Location: Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynton was on a Bach was on 1984 Hot House Flowers, one of his best albums and one of my favorites. Super Audio Cd sounds Awesome. For Me Better than M equipment. Wynton have never sound like this again. Hes Great always but this album is a Must for all trumpet players in a lot of aspects like sound clarity, imrovisation, and a true Feeling.
To be clear please does any one how he was on a 72 with which Bach piece on this era?
Thanks
_________________
Jesus I Trust In You
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bach_again
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Posts: 2275
Location: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix, I thought he played a 65 bell. May be wrong!
_________________
Check out Barkley Microphones!

www.facebook.com/barkleymic
www.instagram.com/barkleymicrophones
www.barkleymic.com

John Lake, solo trumpet, Infinity ribbon mic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkI7uvqDzc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
homebilly
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 24 Dec 2010
Posts: 1913
Location: Venice, CA & Paris, France

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i do remember is them doing When i wish upon a star

it was pretty incredible

i saw Wynton last year in Paris and i told him that i was there and he said
"Don't tell anyone" pretty funny

he sounds great on that bach. i really hear the classical sound concept in his attacks and general tone production. very focused and clean

my .02€ cents
_________________
ron meza (deadbeat jazz musician) & (TH 5 post ghost neighborhood watch ringleader)
waiting for Fed-Ex to deliver a $50 trumpet to my door. shipping was prepaid by seller of course!
http://ronmeza.com
http://highdefinitionbigband.com


Last edited by homebilly on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group