• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MUTE comparisons

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpcyms1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: MUTE comparisons Reply with quote

I am about to purchase some new mutes and I am looking at a couple of options. and I would like the fine trumpet players of this websites input.
Which mutes do you think I should get and why?

Harmon-Best Brass Copper or Trumcor zinger mute or Joral Copper

Straight-Denis wick or Wallace or Tom Crown (all with copper bottom)

Cup-Denis wick adjustable cup or humes and berg stone lined

any thoughts or other suggestions appreciated
Harrelson SWE trim kit
Monette BL2S3 XLT Prana
Monette B6S1 STC 1 Prana
Monette 6
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will you be using the mutes for: Section playing, solo performance? If you don't need to blend with a section, get whichever ones you like best.

If you need to blend, think about what people are using in your section and whether or not the mute you like offers you a sound that complements the section (or would it make you stand out).

Of the mutes you mentioned, I like the Trumcor Zinger better than the Jo-Ral Copper (haven't played the Best Brass). Both are great sounding mutes, but the Zinger comes a bit closer to the classic Harmon sound (for me) and I find the weight of the Jo-Ral mute when it is in the bell to be...distracting.

Of the straight mutes you mentioned, I don't have them in copper bottom, so cannot comment. If you are set on getting a copper-bottom mute, you might also want to consider the Soulo straight mute, which I really like.

Regarding cup mutes, I'm not a fan of adjustable cups, which can be difficult (for me) to quickly change in/out without altering the distance of the cup from the bell. The Humes and Berg comes pretty close to the "classic" cup mute sound. If you want to consider something different, I really like Roger Ingram's MuteMeister cup mute by Warburton.

If the mutes are for non-section playing, or blending is simply not a big concern, you might also want to consider the Warburton Woody straight and cup mutes, and the straight, cup and Harmon-type wood mutes by Facet. They are great mutes, and some of the models blend ok with traditional metal or fiber mutes, but they are expensive.

Good luck!
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: MUTE comparisons Reply with quote

Trumpcyms1993 wrote:
I am about to purchase some new mutes and I am looking at a couple of options. and I would like the fine trumpet players of this websites input.

For the straight, I would advise you buy both. DW are a bit more common in sections and it would help you blend, but IMO the Tom Crown copper bottom is a much better sounding and playing mute.

For the cup, I have both for different scenarios; H&B for big band, DW for more legit stuff. I also have 3 others for the sounds... but my fave solo cup is the Bach plastic cup mute. I really like it!

I have had a lot of harmons and haven't found one I like. I have the Jo Ral copper that I use for most stuff, but don't like it lots. Never tried best brass. I think a Charley Davis harmon is gonna be my next purchase.... I have had about 10 or so other harmons and never been all that impressed.

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My picks for work in ensembles, If you are a soloist and not matching anyone else there are others that have interesting properties. - I own and have used a bunch...

Straight - Denis Wick (aluminum) or Jo-Ral copper bottom
.. a NO for Tom Crown - a different tone quality - good for some solos not section work.
Soulo straight is great sound and intonation, tone but is loud in comparison-one on my new favorites especially for outdoor work.

Cup - Mute Meister (sold at Warrburton), Denis Wick adjustable for "legit" work, AND H&B Stone Lined for that classic sound. Ideally you have both.
Mute Meister (sold at Warrburton), is amazing if you wnat to spend some big bucks on a classic cup mute sound.
Very important the your cup fits properly - you must file corks.

Harmon - Jo-Ral copper or aluminum both are excellent. Copper is heavy can get annoying if you use it a lot.
Zinger is awesome - not sure how it blends with others.
Denis Wick - a worthy small design

Solo Tone - Mute Meister ShowTone !

no to Best Brass, WindyCity
Retired Air Force Bandsman
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: MUTE comparisons Reply with quote

Trumpcyms1993 wrote:

Trumcor Zinger. Strong buzz, even when played softer. Blends well. Great intonation and playability, especially if you back off a bit rather than blow as hard as you can.

Trumpcyms1993 wrote:

You might consider the Soulo Copper Bottom Straight mute. Nice even sound, good intonation and playability.

Trumpcyms1993 wrote:

You might need both so you can match whatever the rest of the section is using. I use DW adjustable for concert band/pit orchestra, H&B for jazz band.
Piccolo Stomvi
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
If you need to blend, think about what people are using in your section and whether or not the mute you like offers you a sound that complements the section (or would it make you stand out).

This.

If you never play with other trumpet players, get whatever you like.

Otherwise, get what the people you play with have -- unless you can convince them to get what you got, in which case go ahead and do that. Which mutes are going to match other players really depends on where you are and what you're doing. I can't remember the last time I used an H&B cup in orchestra... but I can't remember the last time I used my Wick cup on a show.
Trumpcyms1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

Cup - Mute Meister (sold at Warrburton), Denis Wick adjustable for "legit" work, AND H&B Stone Lined for that classic sound. Ideally you have both.
Mute Meister (sold at Warrburton), is amazing if you wnat to spend some big bucks on a classic cup mute sound.

I thought about getting a mute meister even though I already have a Ray Robinson cup mute.
If I have a ray robinson cup do I need the mute meister or the stone lined? for section stuff?
Harrelson SWE trim kit
Monette BL2S3 XLT Prana
Monette B6S1 STC 1 Prana
Monette 6
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpcyms1993 wrote:
zaferis wrote:

I thought about getting a mute meister even though I already have a Ray Robinson cup mute.
If I have a ray robinson cup do I need the mute meister or the stone lined? for section stuff?

I would say no... from my memory your Robinson and MuteMeister would be the same.. and both essentially a good version of the Stone Lined.

Though, I do a lot of sub work and I like to carry a mix of mutes to match the other guy(s) in the section. Last night I used my StoneLined for the section work and my MuteMeister for solos ('cause I had it with me)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2 on the Soulo Copper Bottom Straight!
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT: if you are in an ensemble where consistent tone color is necessary, ask your conductor/director what he/she prefers. Then get a set of straight, cup and Harmon in the conductor's preferred make and model. Do this every time you play in a new ensemble, because consistent section tone color is what is most important, and the "fad" mute-of-the-day is absolutely the worst waste of money.

After that, if not already acquired, invest in a set of the "classic" mutes: H&B stoneline straight; H&B stoneline cup; a real Harmon; a real Vacciano aluminum straight mute. (Most you can get used cheap)

Then start looking at other's preferences and tone color options, such as the Jo-Ral, Wick, Tom Crown, etc., to round out personal preferences.

zaferis wrote:
I do a lot of sub work and I like to carry a mix of mutes to match the other guy(s) in the section. Last night I used my StoneLined for the section work and my MuteMeister for solos ('cause I had it with me)

THIS is the REAL WORD!!!
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with above posts that the situation determines the mute choice. I have a specific set I use for small group jazz where I am the only trumpet. I have others I use for big band. Others for classical.

I also have multiple mutes of the same brand in some cases since I have several different horns I play on a regular basis. For instance, my Kanstul WB and my Bach Mariachi will not take the same cup mute. The fit is just not the same. This is one of my pet peeves as I so often see players using mutes that are not correctly fitted to their horn!!! They (mostly) use cork ..... that can be sanded for a reason!!!! Lol
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:

After that, if not already acquired, invest in a set of the "classic" mutes: H&B stoneline straight; H&B stoneline cup; a real Harmon; a real Vacciano aluminum straight mute. (Most you can get used cheap)

What is a "real" Vacchiano aluminum straight mute? The ones made by Leblanc?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT: if you are in an ensemble where consistent tone color is necessary, ask your conductor/director what he/she prefers.

Asking most conductors about mutes is like asking trumpet players about nuances in violin string. I have no doubt they'll give you an answer, but whether it's worth much....

Your mileage may vary on that.

You're better off just looking around the section and asking the principal or someone long-standing in the section.

I've go no qualms about a consistent tone color within a section and striving for that by having standard choices rather than trendy ones as stated in the same post.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT: if you are in an ensemble where consistent tone color is necessary, ask your conductor/director what he/she prefers.

Asking most conductors about mutes is like asking trumpet players about nuances in violin string. I have no doubt they'll give you an answer, but whether it's worth much....

Your mileage may vary on that.

You're better off just looking around the section and asking the principal or someone long-standing in the section.

I've got no qualms about a consistent tone color within a section and striving for that by having standard choices rather than trendy ones as stated in the same post.

I have been the conductor and played with quite a few conductors . I personally, YMMV, would never consult with the conductor. The section, especially the lead, normally make the decision.

As CF points out most conductors don't know the difference in mutes, but they often know the tone color they like or don't like for a piece. If they don't like what the section is producing then the section should try something else.

Although, that has never happened in my experience.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: MUTE comparisons Reply with quote

Trumpcyms1993 wrote:

Hi Trumpcyms1993

I'm not sure regarding these, only having owned the JoRal, and mine is all aluminum.

Since changing to a Yamaha trumpet, strangely I prefer the Denis Wick ET, which I used to hate on my Bach trumpet. I've always liked it on my Yamaha Xeno cornet for brass band, and now use it as my only harmon on both trumpet and cornet.

In the brass bands, concert bands and orchestras I've played in in my part of the UK, the aluminum Denis Wick straight has been the standard (obviously this may not be the case where you are based), and is what I use. I use a Humes and Berg stone lined straight for big band and Jazz.

I own both these cups. I personally use the Denis Wick for brass band (obviously on cornet), concert band and orchestra, whereas I use the Humes and Berg for Jazz and big band.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Never talk to the conductor unless absolutely necessary. If you ask him about mutes you will almost always get an answer you don't like.

2. Stone-lined and Vacchiano straight mute ands and "real" Harmon mutes may be "classic" but they are totally unnecessary unless you find yourself playing with people who use them. I have never owned a Stone-lined straight, nor have I ever encountered one in use outside a high school band room. I own a Vacchiano straight and have literally never used it. I own a "real" Harmon and have used it on exactly one occasion since acquiring a Jo-Ral.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for a cup mute that I like for a while. It's not easy because to really know how the mute will sound, you have to adjust it to your bell. I have a Denis Wick that I love and the sound seems to match others the best. I don't like that it's adjustable. If you have time, great, adjust it. Quick mute changes could be a problem.

A trumpet player sitting next to me gave me a "Mike a mute". I think that's what it says on it. Anyway, I filed the corks and it works best, so far.

I haven't tried this yet. I might glue the cup in place on the wick.

My point of the thread is; just because you get the same brand as the section, your sound could be different.

I also want to say, a lot of the people on here posting advice are playing at a high level. It's important for them to have the perfect sound or, match. If you're like me, playing local gigs with different bands for $100.00 a shot, nobody in the section will care what mute you use.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
1. Never talk to the conductor unless absolutely necessary. If you ask him about mutes you will almost always get an answer you don't like.

Frame this and put it on the wall.

Might be worth adding "If you ask about which horn/mpc to use..." as well.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetchops,

You might try cutting a small slot on the cup portion of the Wick that contacts the inner portion with a fine-toothed hacksaw, then use a hose clamp to lock the cup in place. That way you won't lose the functionality of adjustment, while being able to dial in the sound and not worry about it moving, just like the old Micro adjustable cups that had the setscrew...

HTH

Ben
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
I also want to say, a lot of the people on here posting advice are playing at a high level. It's important for them to have the perfect sound or, match. If you're like me, playing local gigs with different bands for $100.00 a shot, nobody in the section will care what mute you use.

Believe me, there are people playing at a high level who are cheap as hell and are still playing mutes they liberated from their high school band room in the 70s. (I'm exaggerating -- but not by much.)

But whether it's professionals or amateurs, I don't get it. People spend thousands of dollars on horns... and then balk at spending fifty or a hundred bucks on a new straight mute, because they already have one. You don't have to match exactly -- although it pretty much never hurts -- but some mutes just don't match. It seems crazy to me not to take advantage of one of the very few opportunities we have as trumpet players to spend a little cash and instantly sound better. I have mutes I like better than others, but if I'm playing second trumpet and the principal is using a mute that doesn't match the one I like, I match his mute. Not to kiss his butt or show off my mute collection, but because it makes my job easier. Who doesn't want to make playing the trumpet easier?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: