• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Value impact of modifications on a Mt Vernon Bach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnus935

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Value impact of modifications on a Mt Vernon Bach Reply with quote

I have a 1962 Mt Vernon Bach in raw brass that I will probably sell because I want a different Mt Vernon. This one has an unmarked bell, but seems to play like a 43. HUGE sound, absolutely sizzles and slots amazingly well. So smooth and solid, really a fantastic example of why these horns are so widely sought after. I just prefer the 37 response.

In terms of value, I'm thinking of getting it replated in silver and adding a first slide trigger that I have from an early 70's horn. That trigger actually was an option on the '62 Mt Vernon, but you don't see that many of them.

Any insights on the impact of these prospective changes to the value and desirability of this horn?

Thanks!
-----------------------
Monette Ajna C
80's Bach/Monette 229 C
70's Bach 229 C
80's Bach Pic
80's Monette B Flat
70's Bach B Flat Strad
'62 Mt Vernon B Flat Strad
90's Schilke E2 E Flat
Bach 238 E Flat
Getzen Eterna Flug
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me lead with: it is highly unlikely that you'll get the money spent back out of it when it's time to sell.....

That said, for some potential buyers, they couldn't care less. If it were myself, I would be very picky about WHO did the work. If you go through with it, try to use one of our favorite techs to do the work (Steve Winans (Dr Valve), Ron Pinc, Rich Ita, Charlie Melk, Don Sawday, Osmun, etc...). They will be sure to leave as much metal and engraving as possible as to not sacrifice the playability of the horn.

best of luck,

Joe
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't modify the horn if you intend to sell it. Purists won't appreciate the changes.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement that leaving it alone is probably the best choice. Mt. Vernon's are collectible in their own right without silver plating, triggers, etc. You actually reduce your market by adding such things. It's better to offer an "all original" version and let the buyer take it from there.

An additional word about "triggers". A lot of players don't like them. It's safer to add a hook or ring.
laser170323
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I'm in agreement that leaving it alone is probably the best choice. Mt. Vernon's are collectible in their own right without silver plating, triggers, etc. You actually reduce your market by adding such things. It's better to offer an "all original" version and let the buyer take it from there.

An additional word about "triggers". A lot of players don't like them. It's safer to add a hook or ring.

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: