• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taylor Chicago Jazz vs Eclipse Enigma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shipham_Player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Taylor Chicago Jazz vs Eclipse Enigma Reply with quote

I’m interested in knowing people’s thoughts on these 2 beauties.
I might be in a position to treat myself to one shortly.

I’ve tried a friends Taylor Chicago Storm which I thought was the most free blowing horn I’ve ever played and sounded beautiful.

I’ve also got the opportunity to try to a mint used Eclipse Enigma on trial if I want to and there’s a Taylor dealer close by with a mint Chicago Jazz for sale.

I’m normally a vintage horn kind of player hence my main horn is currently a 1947 Committee and backup a 23A balanced but I’m sorely tempted to swap one of them for one of the Taylor/Eclipse.

Anyone own/played these and thoughts on them?

Thanks
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve owned both an Enigma and a Taylor (although not the exact model you mention), they were both fantastic. The Taylor was quite heavy to hold. The Enigma has the changeable lead pipe system, which is great if if need to change the sound. Although once I’d settled on the one I preferred I never changed it. I sold the Taylor to get the Eclipse. Later I sold the Eclipse, regretted it and bought another. When I bought my Wild Thing, the Eclipse hardly got used, so after much thought I sold it. Between the Taylor and the Enigma, I think the Enigma just had the edge because it worked better in orchestra. You won’t be disappointed with either.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you picked the top 2 horns around in my opinion. I currently own 2 Enigmas one tuning crook and one standard with the CLS and a solid silver bell. Although the Silver horn has not arrived from England yet I can talk about some compares I made. I own a large # of vintage horns including a Holton Strat, a HN WHite Flair, Super 20, a conn 60b, etc. and 2 newer in a Callet Sima, and a Lawler C7. All these horns are for sale now because of the Enigma. I also spent 2 full days at ITG playing the Taylor and Enigma in comparison. Taylor had beautiful trumpets that played very well, but I prefer a horn that is a bit clearer in tone and not as heavy. I thought even his lighter horns were a little heavy but both stood above anything else I played there, and I tried almost all but Bach / yammer and Getzen Edwards. Kept coming back to the ease of play in the Eclipse. I did order a Taylor Flumpet which will arrive with the Silver belled horn, and Andy did make the bell for my Eclipse. This was accomplished using some very tricky trades and both Andy and I were thrilled with the outcome. With both Eclipse and Taylor, thing I liked most was when we decided on a general model configuration, it was all about making the horn work best for me. I had been thru a fitting with Lawler, but being there with Leigh - Eclipse = he was able to ask me questions which meant something to him and he was able to configure a horn that fit almost everything to a Tee. Both Andy and Leigh are hand makers that dont see anything as standard and will make the horn just yours I promise if you buy as a bespoke instrument. No detail too small in appearance. Although I bought an Eclipse trumpet, I saw no other horns at the show other than Eclipse as good as the Taylors. The Flumpet I played there was a .468 and too much for me to use for the intended purpose - ballad playing - for any time, but he did one with a ML bore and a few other tricks to make it sweet. Let you know about that and the Silver Enigma within the month. Those are the new horns.

The older Enigma is the reason I went to ITG. Best horn I have played to date (new one not here yet). The tuning crook allows me to tune to even bad pianos yet retain the same blow. Tuning seems to have no effect on blow. Horn is most effortless trumpet I ever played. Beautiful rich tone, and doesn’t thin out at upper register, was easier to get there. I dont have much I can call a note above hi e/f, but I have sound clips from pros in England playing the horn at near triple heights and killing the mics. Also one of Noel Langley playing as sweet as can be. Nice to know it will do it. You cant go wrong with either maker. Both we heads above the other guys at ITG that I played but a choice was hard and it came down to the quality of the sound you were after. I felt the Taylor was harder to brighten up when need be, but that could be the meat muscle behind the MP rather than the horn?? I apparently like them both but trumpet wise I had to go Eclippse. The quality of build on either will knock your eyes out and both guys are at the top of their game in every way, customer service included. Fitted or buying used I think you will be happy with either and the new Taylors are considerably lighter than in the past, super heavy horns dont seem to be as popular anymore. Well that’s my personal entanglement with these 2 horns/guys. Either will make you very happy, especially if you have played vintage for a long time. Ive found the really good hand makers passed them by a mile.
My .02
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: