• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flip Oakes horns vs Kanstul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yambra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Flip Oakes horns vs Kanstul Reply with quote

I've been looking around, reading people's comments about Flip's horns. I was reading a thread about the Wild Thing compared to the Kanstul 1070. People were pretty much saying that they are 2 different animals, but it seems that the 2 horns are aimed at the same customers for commercial playing. Actually, reading the reviews of each horn, they sounds like there are a lot of similar characteristics. For someone who has played both Flip's horn and the Kanstul 1070 or Benge CG, what are your opinions? I'd be interested to know your comparison to either of Flip's B flat horns.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Oakes horns vs Kanstul Reply with quote

yambra wrote:
I've been looking around, reading people's comments about Flip's horns. I was reading a thread about the Wild Thing compared to the Kanstul 1070. People were pretty much saying that they are 2 different animals, but it seems that the 2 horns are aimed at the same customers for commercial playing. Actually, reading the reviews of each horn, they sounds like there are a lot of similar characteristics. For someone who has played both Flip's horn and the Kanstul 1070 or Benge CG, what are your opinions? I'd be interested to know your comparison to either of Flip's B flat horns.

I have quite a bit of experience with the Wild Thing trumpet, some with the Celebration. I have played the 1070 on a few occasions. I have played two or three Benge CGs and the current Burbank 6X-CG.

The main difference is the bell. Both the 1070 and #6 Benge/Burbank have a bell that is balanced toward upper register work. They have a slow taper, meaning the bell throat is fairly small. These horns don't have a full sounding lower register, but really sing above the middle of the staff.

The Wild Thing has a bell with the largest taper and most open throat of any Bb trumpet. This produces a solid base to the timbre and gives a bottom range like no other. Some might call it "dark," but the Wild Thing has great brilliance too, and resonates well in all registers. This makes the Wild Thing, particularly the original spec with the more open lead pipe, the most versatile trumpet on the market. In the past, I've used the term "largest performance envelope" to describe what it can do.

The 1070 and 6X-CG are much narrower focused.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime you are thinking about a horn, do a YouTube search and listen to players who are using it. If you find them, what do you think of their sound? If you don’t find them, what does that tell you?

For this question, let us know what you find.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only slightly relevant, but I have an LA Benge 3X+, and a Wild Thing. Between THOSE two, the Benge is considerably more focused, the WT has a broader sound, the Benge slots are looser. Depending on mouthpiece choice and approach, the Benge is probably “brighter.”

Different animals for sure, but both are great horns, the WT might be a bit better as an “all around” horn. Slightly.

Brad
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP it says your location is Long Beach CA isn't that really close to Kanstul?
yambra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. This is very good info.
yambra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omelet wrote:

I am close to Kanstul. I have been to the factory and played their horns, but I have not played any of Flip Oakes horns. He's about 2 hours from me and I haven't had a free day to take the trip out there. Hopefully I'll be able to get out there soon.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yambra wrote:
omelet wrote:

I am close to Kanstul. I have been to the factory and played their horns, but I have not played any of Flip Oakes horns. He's about 2 hours from me and I haven't had a free day to take the trip out there. Hopefully I'll be able to get out there soon.

I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that Kansul made the Thing?
Rod
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do but my guess is that to avoid groping incidents the horns are
shipped straight to Flip
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
shipped straight to Flip

They aren't ready for prime time out of the factory. When Flip gets them he spends a lot of time with valve alignment and checking and truing the bore. The horn isn't a WT until he processes it.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
homebilly wrote:
shipped straight to Flip

They aren't ready for prime time out of the factory. When Flip gets them he spends a lot of time with valve alignment and checking and truing the bore. The horn isn't a WT until he processes it.

Which, I believe, is a primary reason that they play like they do. Even, very well in tune and open (without causing the player to need access to an oxygen tank). I’m not going to start a pro-Wild Thing discussion here, not everyone who tries them likes them, I happen to.

Brad
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Oakes horns vs Kanstul Reply with quote

yambra wrote:
... I was reading a thread about the Wild Thing compared to the Kanstul 1070. People were pretty much saying that they are 2 different animals, ... For someone who has played both Flip's horn and the Kanstul 1070 ... what are your opinions? ...

I've owned both and they are not even remotely similar. The ONLY things they have in common are bore size and place or origin.

Brian mentioned the WT bell, but they also have completely different lead pipes, the WT has light-weight slide tubing, and the 1070 has no nickel. Due in part to the lack of nickel slides, the 1070 plays much brighter compared to the WT.

Other than the manufacturing origin there is no relationship, whatsoever, between these two horns.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Wt Reply with quote

I've read the Wild Thing bell is very similar to a bugle bell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: