• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuner + Metronome App?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Tuner + Metronome App? Reply with quote

The threads discussing smartphone apps go back to 2012 which is an eternity when it comes to this stuff. I'm looking for a tuner and metronome in a single app. Any recommendations? Free is best, but willing to pay a few bucks if it comes highly recommended.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a LOT of comparing apps to my strobe tuner. As far as sheer accuracy, the phone nearly makes the strobe obsolete, and this goes for any app I've tried. A couple exceptions to this: ya can't plug in to the phone the way you can with the strobe, but that obviously doesn't affect trumpet. And when the app tries to tell you how far off you are? Do NOT believe it, it is laughably off. (Usually over stated). Still, it is correct about being off, which direction, and as you get closer it reflects that, so quite useful.

I'm on android, and the app I use is Soundcorset tuner and metronome. It's free, and has done everything I've asked of it just fine, but I'm not saying there isn't something out there somehow better.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tonal Energy app has both, and a number of other useful things as well. It might be what you're looking for.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
The Tonal Energy app has both, and a number of other useful things as well. It might be what you're looking for.

+1.
Piccolo Stomvi
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using soundcorset.
Free, easy to use and works as good as my 30$ Yamaha (tuner only) I bought some years ago
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I have done a LOT of comparing apps to my strobe tuner. As far as sheer accuracy, the phone nearly makes the strobe obsolete, and this goes for any app I've tried. A couple exceptions to this: ya can't plug in to the phone the way you can with the strobe, but that obviously doesn't affect trumpet. And when the app tries to tell you how far off you are? Do NOT believe it, it is laughably off. (Usually over stated). Still, it is correct about being off, which direction, and as you get closer it reflects that, so quite useful....

Just wondering if you have seen the Peterson Pitch Grabber pickup for phones / tablets:
https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-PitchGrabber-Mobile-Tuner/dp/B014L9CCHO

I would be interested to know how your phone compares to your strobe, with the Pitch Grabber put into the equation.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a situation where I have found two separate apps work better for me. For a tuner, the Peterson iStrobeSoft works superbly. All of the needed elements of a tuner (including the ability to set for transposing instruments) are available, and in testing, it works better than any other tuner at correct perception of minute differences of tuning. Also, it works as well as my 1960s StroboConn tuner in tests with both using the same tuning pitches at the same time.

For a metronome, nothing has bettered Tempo. It is even more configurable than my Dr. Beat DB-90, and it far handier for me, being housed in an item that is with me 24/7.

Tonal Energy is a great application for my students to use, but I have found it to be less accurate than iStrobeSoft in tuning, and it reports tuning issues that are greater than they actually are in terms of difference (reports 35 cents flat when Strobe says 15). The newer versions of it have corrected this issue significantly. When close to in tune, the Smiley Face is a great added benefit for young musicians, and the closer to "in tune" they are, the more accurate the reading is for pitch. I recommended it for students who can use the positive feedback of the Smiley as part of their learning process. I use it in 5th-grade and 6th-grade band and with young students to reinforce tuning.

Some of the free apps, especially the metronomes, are poorly made and frankly inaccurate. One from Steinway in particular is unfortunate in that it cannot keep a steady beat beyond a few bars, and has odd dropouts at strange times.

Most of the free tuners are acceptable, but again, not always as accurate or reliable as some of those for which a small fee guarantees a more accurate read and continued updates to the app.

I hope my experiences are useful to others,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Tonal Energy is a great application for my students to use...When close to in tune, the Smiley Face is a great added benefit for young musicians, and the closer to "in tune" they are, the more accurate the reading is for pitch.

I love the Tonal Energy app, but I'm not a big fan of the smiley face. A recent update makes that thing get HUGE the longer I stay close to pitch, and I find it distracting. Besides, it goes green even when I'm not exactly in tune; I think that might be because I have the sensitivity set to "wind instrument," which allows a larger margin of error. Anyway, I try not to look at the smiley face very much, maybe just spot check it if I'm holding a longer note. And I keep the app on the drone view, which makes the smiley face much smaller. (That thing creeps me out.)

One of my favorite features on this app is the drone capability. I send the sound to a small bluetooth speaker and turn it up just loud enough that I can hear it while playing. I use it almost every time I practice, and it's helped me improve my pitch awareness a lot, even when I'm not using the app and playing in rehearsal or performance. It also helps break the habit of staring at the screen and chasing the needle (or smiley face) visually by forcing me to match pitches and intervals by ear instead.
Piccolo Stomvi
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you with the real strobe can test the accuracy of Bandmate Chromatic Tuner app, I would really appreciate it. With all the testing we've done, I believe it is accurate, but I would still like to know how it compares to a strobe
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Some of the free apps, especially the metronomes, are poorly made and frankly inaccurate.

My experience is that iOS (iPhone) apps are more accurate than Android apps. Getting a call on an Android while a metronome app is running is awful. I have one tuner/metronome app on both, and the iOS version is nicer.

dr_trumpet wrote:
I hope my experiences are useful to others

Good to hear that others have problem(s) with app/metronomes keeping a steady beat; now I know it's not just me.

Gary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: