• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question for those who've been challenged in Big Bands.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading down through this thread, and I guess I don't get what the fuss is about. For starters, in the big bands I played in, there was never a "challenge" process to try to oust a certain player, take their chair, or whatever. People played the book they were on because that's what they were told or hired to do, egos were left at home, and we were typically playing the part best suited to our abilities.

Outside of high school and my time at the Armed Forces School of Music, I have always held down 3rd and 4th books in big bands, and I've always been perfectly happy to do so. Those are utility section parts that require a good ear for intonation and the ability to match the style and phrasing of the lead player. I'm a good support player - my ability to listen in and lock in to other players is one of my strengths as a musician, and my ego doesn't need to see a "1" on the part in order for me to be happy playing the part I'm on. I actually take a lot of satisfaction from the fact that I know I am a good section player.

I'm not sure how it's structured in your HS jazz band - in professional big bands, the 2nd book player is also the solo player, and it's possible that your director is willing to take a minor hit of not having you on the lead book so that they CAN have you on the solo book.

It also sounds like you may be falling prey to one of the classic blunders of the high school player, and that's the misguided belief that stronger chops and more range makes you "better." It doesn't. Not even a little bit. You may also have weaknesses you aren't fully aware that you have. You may have an awful sense of time and tempo (most people who are afflicted with this sadly don't realize it) or you might have a poor sense of phrasing, (people afflicted with this often don't realize this one either) or you might not have a good ear for intonation. These are things I see all the time and most of the time, those people simply aren't aware that they have those issues.

Ultimately it's going to depend on you. Can your ego handle playing a part that says "2" on it instead of "1?" Remember - this is a big band - EVERY part is essential.

Also keep in mind that there may be some unintended consequences if you do challenge for the 1st chair.

1.) You may lose the challenge - can you handle it if you do?
2.) Are you friends with the 1st player? If you challenge and win, it could strain the friendship. It could strain the relationship even if you DON'T win.
3.) If you challenge and win, you may come off looking like an ego-maniacal @$$h01e to other people in the band, and you'll lose respect of people who currently like and respect you.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do, and whatever the outcome happens to be.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as second chair in multiple bands, I found some things to be true:

You can sure make things better (or not) for the lead player. It's a fine line between supporting him, and taking over from him. Make sure you are supporting him. If his "style" is different than you would take, he's playing lead. Either discuss it or play it his way... the director should be able to sort it out if it's wrong.

Higher range does not necessarily make a better lead payer, but it sure doesn't hurt.

I have ALWAYS played some lead charts, even while playing other chairs. The director and the other musicians KNOW who is playing better. The whole "challenge" for chairs kind of rubs me wrong; it's a section. If you play well as a section, it shows. If the lead player is not leading, though, and "challenge" is what your school has in place, challenge him on a piece from your charts that you feel highlights your advantages.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick just reminded me of something. I used to play in a big band that went between me and another player. Finally, one day I asked the lead player why they couldn't decide between the other guy and me. He said that the other guy didn't really swing but was pretty reliable, technically, while I swung, but was more inconsistent technically. For whatever that means to you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you think he sucks as a lead player you REALLY are gonna hate him when his job is supporting YOU playing second. A disgruntled second player can really make a lead player sound bad. that's probably what he is thinking! LOL
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of what i was trying to say...a 2nd chair that isn't really supporting you can make life Hell,
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always known that standing next to the lead player on the 3rd book (when looking at the band set up in the standard 2-1-3-4 configuration) and also as the 4th book player where often times the line is the lead line down the octave, that if I did a good job supporting the lead, it made their job easier. It's little things too like knowing how loud to play in order to give them the support they need so they can float along on the top and not have to work so hard, or matching their pitch, even if it might not quite be in tune. Basically, giving them the foundation they need in order to effectively do their job - that has to come from within the section.

If the support players aren't making it, it's much harder for the lead player to do their job.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, tough crowd here. Let me see if I can sum up what the posts are saying based on a few sentences by the OP.

It is all about the lead player, who we know nothing about. Don’t you dare injure his feelings. You are doing a crappy job of supporting lead player. You suck as a technical player because you mentioned your range. You should always be happy playing the part you were assigned.

There is a lot of good advice posted so far, but some of it doesn’t apply to high schoolers. It would be nice if all high schoolers had the maturity of us old geezers who have had the benefit of years of learning the hard way. But it just ain’t so.

I say talk to the lead and challenge away.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
There is a lot of good advice posted so far, but some of it doesn’t apply to high schoolers. It would be nice if all high schoolers had the maturity of us old geezers who have had the benefit of years of learning the hard way. But it just ain’t so.

THIS. We’re talking about high school players here guys. That’s not intended to denigrate the OP at all, but while there are some high school players who play and conduct themselves at a very high level, it’s not the norm.

Spend ten minutes in any high school jazz band rehearsal, what are you probably going to see? Trumpet players who firmly believe “higher, faster, louder” is the standard for what makes a good player.

Part of the band director’s job is helping kids mature past those attitudes to hopefully become better, well rounded musicians; helping trumpet players get to that point usually includes making them realize that the truly skilled players, while they may in fact have tremendous range and power, have a lot more skills than just those.

Brad
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Wow, tough crowd here. Let me see if I can sum up what the posts are saying based on a few sentences by the OP.

It is all about the lead player, who we know nothing about. Don’t you dare injure his feelings. You are doing a crappy job of supporting lead player. You suck as a technical player because you mentioned your range. You should always be happy playing the part you were assigned.

I say talk to the lead and challenge away.

I'm not sure that I bagged on him, said he wasn't technical or shouldn't do the challenge - I thought I just put some additional thoughts out there about some things that maybe he hadn't considered. We've obviously not heard either one of them play, so we don't really know. We also don't know what the personal dynamic is in the band, or between the two players.

I remember once in HS getting challenged shortly after a chair placement tryout. I was a freshman, and I advanced a chair, ousting a junior. The 1st chair player at the time was my sister, followed by another senior. In any case, I didn't appreciate being challenged, but I took it in stride. Twice. I fended off the challenge both times. Later that year I advanced another chair from another chair placement tryout, but that senior never challenged me to win his chair back, so it was my sister and me at 1 & 2.

The following year, the guy I'd ousted the previous year wound up first chair - I believe that this was a philosophical thing from the band director we had that year, who didn't believe that a senior should sit below an underclassman. Everyone knew who the stronger, better player was, but by that point, me and this other guy were friends, so I never challenged him. I could have, and I'd definitely have won, but at what cost? I was still playing 1st parts on most things, and in jazz band, watching him fumble through solos, or chop out and miss lines was almost reward enough.
- ACB Doubler

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZardiChar wrote:
My question for the Lead Players who've been challenged is what song(s) have you been challenged on?

Very few responses have even attempted to answer the OP’s question.
ZardiChar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't want to seem like a Sh*thead to the rest of the band or seem full of myself but there are no "chair placement tests" in my high school. I wasn't in the area during Band Camp this summer so said person took the chair, and there wasn't much I could've done about that.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZardiChar wrote:
Personally I don't want to seem like a Sh*thead to the rest of the band or seem full of myself but there are no "chair placement tests" in my high school. I wasn't in the area during Band Camp this summer so said person took the chair, and there wasn't much I could've done about that.

Once the possibility of "owning" the lead chair in a concert band was within reach. But another guy joined the band at that crucial point -the former principal becoming our conductor/director. The new guy clearly had more experience, a somewhat better technique, but although I had the better range, sound, he was far more consistent reading complicated scores (you know, triplets, semiquavers, pauses, phrasing intricate passages) always delivering even during pressing situations. Even I realized that
So he became the leadchair owner. And I played second (this was a brass band so a solocornet section). Was I preoccupied with this? Yes Sir. Many years I was very frustrated, especially as when he was absent, I played the soloparts no one complaining, but when he returned he was in charge again. But our director sensed the frustration so sometimes I had the opportunity to play solos.
I found my "liberation" in other bands(big bands) playing stuff he never would have been able to play. I could use my technique/range in songs like I wrote in my first answer to you.
Why do I write this? Well, a hard won lesson - your ego might poison the inherent joy of playing - mine did.
Also - from what you describe it might be that your director is a bit short of keeping you all in high spirits. Is it possible you could have a chat with him?
Good luck - life sometimes sucks
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZardiChar wrote:

The ego of a young musician is an interesting thing. I wrote above about how my friend who I'd sat ahead of the previous year wound up as the 1st chair player in the high school band the following year. The band director we'd had the year previous would shake things up with chair placement tryouts - sometimes they were planned, sometimes they were impromptu. This new director didn't do regular chair placement tryouts. There was a challenge process though, and in hindsight, I should have done it.

At the time it really ate at me that we both knew who was the stronger player, but that the chair placement didn't reflect that. Should it have? Dunno - there's a competitiveness during the school years that's different than how it is if you continue to play into adulthood.

I had a similar thing in 8th grade with a classmate - we traded 1st chair back and forth, and I remember how upset I was that I lost it at one point, and that inspired me to work harder. (He fell off the radar the following year when we moved to HS band - my rate of development shot up considerably that year, and he just sort of stayed where he was.)

Do the challenge. At the very least, it will keep you both on your toes and at your sharpest musically. Music, IMO, is no place for mediocrity - it's a place where you should always give your best, and there's nothing like competition to bring out the best in people.
- ACB Doubler

dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZardiChar wrote:

Understood. And your band has a challenge system, so go ahead and use it. Select a challenge piece from the book that you think will make it easy for the band director to declare you the winner.

I just remember from my high school challenge days that it helps to carry yourself with class and respect toward others and let your playing speak for you. Makes it easier for the rest of the section—and their friends too, who are often the ones who really seem to hold a grudge after their buddy loses a challenge—to get along with you. If you can play rings around the other guy without looking down your nose at him, then it'll be easier for others to accept you in the role.
Piccolo Stomvi
ZardiChar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentioned the challenge to the Lead player, and he said me being second makes it easier because he isn't a great soloist himself.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZardiChar wrote:
mentioned the challenge to the Lead player, and he said me being second makes it easier because he isn't a great soloist himself.

Perhaps the dynamic there could be good for the band?

By all means if you want to be doing the lead stuff go for the challenge, it's worth thinking everything through (there's plenty of caveats and thinking points in this thread).

As brought up earlier... will this guy make a good 2nd for you if you win? If not, might you enjoy things better by staying on second and arranging between the two of you to swap the odd bits around?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
ZardiChar wrote:

Perhaps the dynamic there could be good for the band?

By all means if you want to be doing the lead stuff go for the challenge, it's worth thinking everything through (there's plenty of caveats and thinking points in this thread).

As brought up earlier... will this guy make a good 2nd for you if you win? If not, might you enjoy things better by staying on second and arranging between the two of you to swap the odd bits around?

Good move talking to him.

If this is about being top dog, having your name first, perhaps thinking about the lead and solo books being equal in importance will help.

As stated by TKSop, another possibility is the two of you agreeing to share the first and second parts, if the director will go along. You could play lead on some songs that don't have solos that are difficult for him.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe talk with the lead and BD about what is best for all. It may be he (lead player) would be better for learning to improv in the 2nd spot for a while, or maybe you two could trade off tunes. Since you're in school (I assume) the focus may be more on learning.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a situation in my HS big band (the one I teach) last year where I felt that the kid with the strongest chops wasn't the "lead" player, but there was an age and ego dynamic that had to be accounted for. If I'd simply have pulled the one kid off of the lead book, I think it would have hurt his feelings and really bruised his ego if I put a sophomore ahead of him

So I split the book and let them distribute the parts between the two of them, with the senior getting first dibs. I actually had another kid on the 2nd book, (another senior) so it ended up being a 1/3 split rather than a 1/2 split, but the net result is that it worked out pretty well. I set it up as a teachable thing stating that with both the 1st and 2nd chair players graduating, this was a way to cultivate the sophomore so he wasn't getting thrown to the wolves this year.

We haven't started back up with the extracurricular jazz band this year yet, so I'm excited to see how things are going to shake out with this younger kid on the lead book this year.

On a side note, I'm well aware of the differences in ability between players in my jazz band and I only get these kids once a week. My thought is that your director probably knows what's going on. With that in mind, some directors play favorites, and some don't even try to mask it.

My daughter's drama troupe in HS had a teacher who was absolutely awful about playing favorites, and it was to the point that the kids in her favor were openly called "Parker's pets." It didn't matter if there were other kids more capable, if they weren't on the short list, they got snubbed and were never cast in a lead role. My daughter got snubbed the whole time. She got snubbed on a role in the last musical for a role that actually required a tap dance routine in spite of the fact that this other kid didn't dance and my daughter was a competition tap dancer. Makes sense, right?

I hope you aren't dealing with that - that's almost impossible to overcome if there is favoritism going on from the top.
- ACB Doubler

Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the best way to get where you want to be is to work hard on all of your weak areas and while you're warming up before your rehearsal, make it obvious to everyone in the room that you are better in all aspects then anyone else. These "challenging" dramas often go back and forth between players depending on the day or week unless one is obviously better. Then, there's no need for a challenge... When you get out of HS and into the real world, you probably won't have these kinds of problems. That can be good for you, or bad... Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: