• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pivot?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
My question should be more direct. Is directing air to points within the MP what people are trying to do with whatever they define as pivoting? i.e. is whatever you do designed to direct air to points in the MP in order to create higher or lower pitch? Seems there should be some point we can all agree we are trying to achieve. ...

-------------------------------------------------
I feel that the 'point we can all agree' is that the goal is to obtain controlled and reliable lip vibration at the desired pitch.
The details of how to achieve that likely varies depending on the individual's lips, teeth, mpc placement, etc. I doubt that the mouthpiece itself behaves differently (from a mechanical / physics view) depending on where the air is pointed. But the process of 'pointing the air' can result in significant changes in lip & jaw position, and in rim pressure application - and that will have an impact on how (and whether) the lips vibrate.

The lip(s) must be ABLE/capable of vibrating by air being forced thru the aperture by the player.
The player must learn what combination of embouchure, lip, teeth, jaw, rim pressure, pivot, etc. make the vibrations happen and be controllable.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have misunderstood the chart I saw showing the points inside a mouthpiece as indicating a different pattern of air inside the cup based on where the air struck the cup. I can see how I was maybe given a tool to use in conceptualizing the action instead and made an assumption. It does give what has been a useful and effective tool in increasing my range with a much fuller tone. Also spending a LOT of time finding my best MP placement was very useful. Any other thoughts from anyone?
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: