• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

OK, how many gig bags/cases is too many gig bags/cases?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have three single trumpet cases (Walt Johnson, Protec & Gard) and I just purchased a double trumpet case; yet I still long to have a trumpet/flugel case, or a triple trumpet case. Do I have too may cases or is this normal for us horn-aholics?

PS This does not include all those musty old case I got when purchasing vintage horns, I have a closet full of those things.

00 Schilke S22
78 Yamaha 732 Cornet
77 LA Benge
54 LA Olds Recording
49 Olds Ambassador Cornet

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"

[ This Message was edited by: ARB on 2003-11-25 21:28 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How high is "up"?

Just a little higher than you are now, however high that may be...

Same for horns, mpcs, cases, mutes, valve oil, music, method books, CDs...

_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on how many horns you take on a gig. I have a single, a double and a triple. Plus the original cases.

So far the most instruments I have needed is three for any performance.

P.S. Why three single gig bags.

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2003-11-25 23:00 ]
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilPicc, I love my Walt Johnson single but there's no storage space, so I purchased the Gard which has a nice size pocket. I bought the Pro Tec single a while back, but then realized that it can be a bit heavy and bulky when you have to lug it around on the train. Now I have a leather double which should be enough for a trumpet, a cornet, some sheet music, some odds-and-ends and most importantly - my lunch.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
climbingoddess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that I have to justify this to my better half all the time. I have certain cases that serve certain situations. Therefore, there could be an infinite number of situations, causing one to own every case on the market (*smirk*) and have it be completely justified.

I fully admit to having a case purchasing problem, but I maintain: each one serves a purpose!
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I have a habit of buying and selling cases, mouthpieces, and other stuff too.

I buy, then sell, then buy again.

But it's in good fun. Just keep one credit card, zero balanced, for trumpet stuff. Pay it off, then do some more.

[ This Message was edited by: Jazzalive on 2003-12-21 23:28 ]
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having counted in the past the instruments, mouthpieces and mutes for various surveys on TH, it was only a matter of time before the subject of cases came up.

Tis could be a real challenge trying to find them all - they are currently spread over most of the house, the car and in a couple of others - on loan to students.

The main case I use is a Wiseman triple case. Love it. Usually to be found with a Bb, C and a piccolo inside, along with a number of mouthpieces, valve oils, masses of music and other things that I use in the day-to-day teaching and playing.
I also have a Reunion Blues Triple Bag, currently containing a cornet, Eb/D, G picc and a 3 valve piccolo - 4 instruments in a triple - it works, just.
The flugel tends to live in it's hard case (and in the boot (trunk for our US readers!) of the car!). It will happily fit in the Wiseman or the Reunion Blues, but if it is in it's case it fits in the boot nicely and I can leave it there, so that I always have it with me, just in case.
My rotary valve trumpet lives in it's original Yamaha large double case. I haven't yet got the correct inserts for it to go in the Wiseman and I don't fully trust a gig bag with an instrument that nice!
As for cases I don't use too often - a Besson triple hard case, A Selmer Quad hard case, two Yamaha double cases, 2 single gig bags (very cheap ones), 3 cornet cases and an assortment of single cases, from assorted periods in trumpet history, in various states of disrepair!

As for how many cases is too many - as many as you need!

I reckon I have about all the cases I actually need, but I am sure I will end up with more. The next one will probably be another Wiseman - they are such impressive cases!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: