• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Saxophone is better for doubling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Which Saxophone is better for doubling? Reply with quote

If one wanted to try doubling on saxophone, which one is more compatible with trumpet if any? Alto, Tenor, or Baritone? I don't mind transposing to new keys. It's only about technique and smooth transition.

Thanks in advance for any replies
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the player/s that you like listening to the most and head in that direction.๐Ÿ˜

For me the one that's most 'trumpet like' is a straight soprano, as it's held in a similar manor and you can just pick it up and play without any type
of stap/ contraption... also same key and similar range.
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Which Saxophone is better for doubling? Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
If one wanted to try doubling on saxophone, which one is more compatible with trumpet if any? Alto, Tenor, or Baritone? I don't mind transposing to new keys. It's only about technique and smooth transition.

Thanks in advance for any replies

I'm not sure what you mean by "compatible with trumpet."

I've never played sax, but I've played clarinet since I was eight. Both are B-flat instruments, of course, so no transposing required.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with mrhappy. I played woodwinds professionally for twenty years. I believe you should just think of the new instrument as a stand-alone instrument and not look for common ground. Sax isn't that hard to get started on. Pick the instrument that you like the most and that motivates you and go for it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Which Saxophone is better for doubling? Reply with quote

Bill_Bumps wrote:

By, "compatible", I mean which of any of the saxes will negetively effect the trumpet embouchure the least. Which of the saxes feels the closest to trumpet in terms of air movement and volume?

That said, judging by the replies so far, maybe I'm just seeing ghosts...thanks.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The embouchures are considerably different from each other .. It can be difficult to jump directly from one to the other without a little break in between! For me it's more difficult going from trumpet TO sax... Sax to tpt seems more 'mental' , whereas after playing the trumpet you're more likely to devolop something we used to call 'rubber lip! Haha! Makes it hard to feel what's going on until the lips calm down a bit!!๐Ÿ˜ฌ
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would think there would be a conflict and that you would damage the trumpet embouchure by playing woodwinds, but it isn't so. flip oakes among others doubles and plays sax.
i have a nice clarinet been sitting on the floor for years waiting for the impetus and right timing to pick up and play. now there's a natural jazz piece.
to your question more specifically, this isn't a matter of sax size, and i would echo the other players' thoughts. play the size you wish to play.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I agree with mrhappy. I played woodwinds professionally for twenty years. I believe you should just think of the new instrument as a stand-alone instrument and not look for common ground. Sax isn't that hard to get started on. Pick the instrument that you like the most and that motivates you and go for it.

Agree.

chapahi wrote:
Bill_Bumps wrote:

By, "compatible", I mean which of any of the saxes will negetively effect the trumpet embouchure the least. Which of the saxes feels the closest to trumpet in terms of air movement and volume?

That said, judging by the replies so far, maybe I'm just seeing ghosts...thanks.

I haven't played a ton of Bari, but for the most part the sax embouchure doesn't change much between the different saxes.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
NERO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can double on any kind of Sax and you will never hurt your trumpet embouchure... It's so different... From a musical point of view it is true that the soprano is a little bit more trumpet like, and I mean that it will be easier to transfer your musical ideas from trumpet to a soprano compared to a tenor... Which is a completely different beast from my point of view... And has to be played in a different way. It can be done anyway.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the embouchure as taught in most method books (as my limited sax education understands it) caused some irritation on my lower lip that impacted my trumpet playing, but 1. My sax technique is terrible and some lessons could probably clear that up and 2. Many great players donโ€™t seem to play like that so you can adapt.

I did find that it worked my face in a different way that was in the long term healthy for my trumpet playing.
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a consistent and regular doubler of sax and brass, soprano - bass saxes and trumpet to tuba. I started on sax in 5th grade and picked up trumpet for college band and drum corps, now I often see gigs for both in the same week, going from lead trumpet playing to solo sax and everything in between.

Past learning the fundamentals of playing each horn there has been absolutely no ill effects of playing a different horn on the embouchure. In fact I think the working of different muscle groups playing different horns has only helped to strengthen my embouchure overall.

When you double though, do be sure to give regular time to each horn to help be consistent on whatever you're playing!

With that said, which sax players do you like the sound of most? What horn do they play? Play that one! Me personally prefer to play bari/bass most but I get more gigs on alto and tenor.

Yeah, I did that!
jdemonico

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexy sax man!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: