• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lead, Jazz, or both?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid points, Hermokiwi.

It is very subjective whether one considers somebody an excellent or even good jazz player/improviser. And we all have our own criteria on what makes one excellent or set a standard.

For me a solo has to be interesting, harmonically accurate with intelligent choices and direction and above all else melodic and creative. Which are also subjective criteria

So to be fair it’s a tough list to compose
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
In no particular order...

Wayne Bergeron
Greg Gisbert
Frank Greene
Tony Kadleck
Eric Miyashiro
Dan Fornero
Harry James
Maynard Ferguson
Doc Severinsen
Adam Rapa
Rashawn Ross
Arturo Sandoval

+
Charlie Shavers
Leon Merian
Condoli Brothers
Findley Brothers
Gary Grant
Bobby Lewis
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Severinsen's name was mentioned. In 75 or 76 I attended a summer workshop at Quinnipiac University. Arnie Lawrence was one of the clinicians. Arnie played sax in the Tonight Show Band for a time when the show was in NY,
He told us that most of Doc's jazz solos were written out for him. I have no reason to not believe him. He wasn't knocking Doc but simply making a statement. I mentioned that to a very well known trumpeter and teacher. He had a great reply. He said that you still have to have the chops and ability to play it.
I mentioned Danny Stiles earlier. The Qunnipiac workshop was one of the oppurtunities I had to work with him. Danny was a lot of fun to hang around with and learn from.
halfgreek12
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny Bailey
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Doc Severinsen's name was mentioned. In 75 or 76 I attended a summer workshop at Quinnipiac University. Arnie Lawrence was one of the clinicians. Arnie played sax in the Tonight Show Band for a time when the show was in NY,
He told us that most of Doc's jazz solos were written out for him. I have no reason to not believe him. He wasn't knocking Doc but simply making a statement. I mentioned that to a very well known trumpeter and teacher. He had a great reply. He said that you still have to have the chops and ability to play it.
I mentioned Danny Stiles earlier. The Qunnipiac workshop was one of the oppurtunities I had to work with him. Danny was a lot of fun to hang around with and learn from.

Doc is a virtuoso trumpet player. And can play anything and make it sound almost inhuman. His recordings and shows and specials I saw him perform were mostly big band stuff or pop renditions.

I never saw his solos in those shows or recordings to be traditional “jazz” improvised solos. They were features of his technique, sound, range, power (did I say SOUND) dazzle and groove. He’d often perform the same number at different venues and thanks to YouTube and other outlets I’ve seen many of them. And the solo sections he’d perform were almost note for note identical.

And I have no doubt he probably is an excellent jazz player. And Im sure knows the theory and vocab. I just haven’t heard him play much in that style or show those talents off as much as the other numerous talents he showed the world nightly with his horn.
Clot Gorton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Kisor
Greg Gisbert
Peter Olstad
Carl Fischer
Walter White

Last edited by Clot Gorton on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that sticks out to me after, admittedly only skimming the previous comments, is that almost everyone listed is a "lead" player who can also improvise at a high level. There are very few names I saw that I would consider "soloists" who can play "lead".

Before you blast me, I'm not saying the guys listed aren't great at both. Just that with almost all of them you would peg them as "lead" players first .... then think about their improv skills next.

IMHO, Ryan Kisor and Greg Gisbert are the only two names I saw that I would put in a list with THE great soloists in jazz. For instance, Snooky was an amazing lead player and more than adequate soloist ..... But I wouldn't list him with the Louis Armstrongs, Freddie Hubbards, or Ryan Kisors of the world.

Again, they're all great. I just find it interesting that most are "lead" players who can improvise rather than "improvisors" who can play "lead".
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
rmch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add Brad Goode to the list.

Also, did Dizzy play the lead lines with his big bands enough that he should be considered a lead player? Did he play lead in the other big bands he worked with (Metronome All-Stars, Earl Hines, Cab Calloway)? Should we add Roy Eldridge, too? I know he played lead with Fletcher Henderson for a bit, but did he play enough lead over his career that we can call him a lead player?

Also, Louis led the trumpet section in Erskine Tate's orchestra at the Vendome along with some amazing work with his own big band in the 30s. Should we add him?
1981 LA Benge ML #3 bell
1938 Couesnon Flugel
1907 HN White Co. "King" Cornet
1977 Selmer Picc
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Miller. If you missed him trading 8's toe-to-toe with Maynard on St. Thomas for the three months he filled in on the MF band back in '91, you missed a real treat. The cat even managed to talk Maynard into trying some improv solos in mutes, as he preferred to do a lot of his own solos in a cup mute. Great facility as a soloist, but traded notes backing up Roger Ingram quite often on Harry Connick's band. Double C's all day that will tear your head off, but he prefers to play small combo improv.
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of greats mentioned here.Couple names I have`nt seen that I think should be in there;
Jimmy Maxwell..Great lead player,and although not really a be-bopper,played beautiful solos in the late swing era style.Just a great great player;
Byron Strippling; Played with him some when he was in NY and freelancing,just after getting off the road with Basie; Great lead player,fat sound,all the notes,swang his a..off..and played really nice jazz too..Since those days,most of you know,he tours around doing a kind of "Pops" thing with orchestras;
Sean Jones; This cats a terrifying jazz player,and plays great lead too;I think he teaches at Berklee these days,but If you get a chance to hear him play live,its well worth it!
Lennie Johnson; Played great lead with Quincy Jones`s big band,and would play really tasty jazz,and was "Mean" with that plunger
Charlie Shavers; Beautiful jazz player,and some of the older folks that I knew that played with him,said that he was nails as a lead player,but is best known for his solos..Gotta go,the practice room is calling!!
jazztrumpetbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark Terry should be on the list. He did play lead in his younger days. He could play anything although he was known more for his improvisation talents.

Bb Burbank Benge L
Bb Schilke B1
Olds Silverstar Flugel
King Silvertone Cornet
rmch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for CT
1981 LA Benge ML #3 bell
1938 Couesnon Flugel
1907 HN White Co. "King" Cornet
1977 Selmer Picc
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add joshua kauffman to that list.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=josh+kaufman+trumpet

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have any recordings beyond the couple Yiutube vids with Chris Labarbera?

This guy is such a classy jazz player. Always dropping quotes and such cool lines. I saw him play in Florida back in the early 2000s but never found any recordings.

Not to mention his lead playing and double Cs and Ds that seem limitless and can knock down walls.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazztrumpetbill wrote:
Clark Terry should be on the list. He did play lead in his younger days. He could play anything although he was known more for his improvisation talents.

Clark could do just about anything on the horn. I'm fortunate to have actually played with him once. Fabulous player and an even better man.
dmr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fun part of these discussions (for me) is adding names to my list of players I should check out...
Anyway,
+1 for Byron Stripling (monster player! Worth seeing live for sure. The stuff on YouTube doesn't do his sound justice...)
->Dominic Spera. Perhaps better known to the masses for his compositions and arrangements, and as an educator out of Indiana University, but he's an absolutely amazing player..

-Where does Thomas Gansch fall in the spectrum? His 'lead' is more with Mnozil, but the improv chops go on forever. Love the Don Ellis tribute stuff he did a while back....
-How about James Morrison?

-Maybe a separate topic, but there are a bunch of players in NYC who fit the bill, some of whom are/were here on TH... Maybe someone more familiar with all of them will chime in.
CalletJazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Marchione
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. Ken Smukal played lead in the Airmen of Note for years. He played great jazz, too.
I have to re-mention Arturo Sandoval. He played outrageous lead, and his jazz chops are outstanding.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question about the Condoli brothers.

I've always been a fan of them both. But I see them listed here as "lead" players and I don't identify them with any lead playing (save playing lead in combos).

Can anybody recommend any large ensemble groups where the Condolis are playing lead? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Question about the Condoli brothers.

I've always been a fan of them both. But I see them listed here as "lead" players and I don't identify them with any lead playing (save playing lead in combos).

Can anybody recommend any large ensemble groups where the Condolis are playing lead? Thanks.

The Tonight Show band with Doc Severinsen- Conte Condoli played split lead with John Audino
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: