• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hummel Concerto

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
snichols wrote:
Gabrieli wrote:
snichols wrote:
Andy Del wrote:
For even more insight, get hold of a keyed trumpet, or listen to performances of these instruments. They spend differently, and help make sense of the works.

Don't waste your time with this.

Listening to the fantastic musical performance on a keyed trumpet by Reinhold Friedrich would help you understand what the concerto is all about.

How so, specifically?

Specifically, a keyed trumpet has differences in the way it sounds when using keys. That nuance needs to be taken into account when performing on them, and you end up NOT sounding perfectly even across the work. There are places where you can be more heraldic, and others where you have to work to create a sound that blends the differing characteristics of each note better.

I found it helped enormously in preparing Haydn, especially in the second movement. For Hummel, it will illuminate just how different the key change makes the work feel and how differently it can be presented to audience.

To go on any more won't make sense, as you need to experience it...

cheers

Andy

Yes, we all know what keyed trumpets sound like and that they have uneven, stuffy shifts in timbre with each note. The point is, the keyed trumpet was just a means to an end, and a bad one at that. Sure, it gave us two good pieces of music, but the instrument was a flop. And its not like Haydn and Hummel were taking the instrument's inconsistent sound to inform the melodies they wrote. The uneven timbre is just a byproduct - not a musical element The only possible exception maybe being the tremolos in the 2nd movement of the Hummel (so I'll cede that one - so 5 seconds of the piece). It's fine that it's been recorded on period instruments for the sake of academic posterity, but those recordings offer no insights into how it should be performed on a modern instrument. Nothing about phrasing, style, articulation, etc. that couldn't also be learned from a recording with better tone. This is a high school student that needs to listen to good, modern trumpet sounds to try to emulate. If they were a doctoral student or professor performing it on a period instrument for a lecture recital, sure, listen to those types of recordings, but otherwise it's not going to have any specific tangible benefits.

So, put simply, sure, you need to take that nuance into account if you were playing on a keyed trumpet, but not on a regular trumpet.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two pieces were written specifically for an individual player on specific instruments. Ignoring that context seems preposterous. While the instrument lost out to the valve, I find it hard to listen to some beautiful performances on it and write it off as simply stuffy. Reinhold Friedrich's fantastic version is available on Naxos online. A subscription is available for a small donation to Imslp or your local library probably has one.

Listening to the work performed on the keyed trumpet changes the approach to everything - ornaments, articulations, sound concept, etc. Listen to Reinhold Friedrich play it and then try to convince yourself that the keyed trumpet is irrelevant to understanding the work. I wouldn't call it stuffy and uneven.

Learning the baroque trumpet radically changed my approach to the piccolo because the literature suddenly made sense. Likewise, Haydn and Hummel make a lot more sense once you understand the keyed trumpet.

Quote:
In his initial post, the OP asked for any advice to help him play the
first movement of the Hummel Concerto at a higher level.
Most people that posted, suggested that he listen to good recordings
of the work.

My suggestion to learn a different piece was not directed at the OP but rather the hypothetical young player not willing to put forth more than a minimal effort. While they are welcome to play the Hummel poorly, their time could be better spent on lesser music if they'd rather be lazy. It's up to the OP to decide how much effort they're willing to put forth to justify their study. Doing something poorly seems like a waste of time to me, but everyone is welcome to use their time however they see fit.

It isn't that hard to find recordings on historical instruments. I found the Friedrich version on Naxos in about two minutes. A Naxos subscription isn't hard to track down and is well worth it. A visit to the library is an afternoon well spent. You get to chat with and learn from the reference librarian, browse some books, and maybe even meet a smart girl. It seems like a win all around for the OP. This doesn't take that much effort.

If the standard is thoughtless performances, our results will be uninteresting. We should expect more.
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the controversy is that "stylistic elements to add" and "play at a higher level" is being construed in different ways by different people. Perhaps the OP can clarify whether this means improving the way it's being played or making it more authentic, which aren't necessarily the same thing.
Gabrieli

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omelet wrote:
It seems that the controversy is that "stylistic elements to add" and "play at a higher level" is being construed in different ways by different people. Perhaps the OP can clarify whether this means improving the way it's being played or making it more authentic, which aren't necessarily the same thing.

Reinhold Friedrich’s recording was an absolute eye-opener for me. I first heard it by chance switching on the car radio and my first thought was "oh no, not Hummel again". But then I heard things I have never heard before - dialogues between the trumpet and winds, that you never hear, when it is performed on a modern tinny-sounding eb/e trumpet played too forcefully. Most trumpet players also seem not to understand the meaning of allegro or andante, mixing them up with presto and adagio. If you think playing as fast as possible is playing at a higher level, I cannot help you. This is not a matter of authenticity and a matter of considering the composere’s intentions more important than your own ego.
If you want a tasteful performance on a "modern" instrument try David Guerrier’s performance - in E major on an old Heckel Bb trumpet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKaFOUVP1E
If you think that is difficult perhaps you should know, it was just his warm-up piece in the concert. After a 15 minute break he came back on stage with an old Alexander double-horn and played the Weber Concertino - also perfectly.
Unfortunately nobody posted this on youtube.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My suggestion to learn a different piece was not directed at the OP but rather the hypothetical young player not willing to put forth more than a minimal effort. While they are welcome to play the Hummel poorly, their time could be better spent on lesser music if they'd rather be lazy. It's up to the OP to decide how much effort they're willing to put forth to justify their study. Doing something poorly seems like a waste of time to me, but everyone is welcome to use their time however they see fit."

"It isn't that hard to find recordings on historical instruments. I found the Friedrich version on Naxos in about two minutes. A Naxos subscription isn't hard to track down and is well worth it. A visit to the library is an afternoon well spent. You get to chat with and learn from the reference librarian, browse some books, and maybe even meet a smart girl. It seems like a win all around for the OP. This doesn't take that much effort."

"If the standard is thoughtless performances, our results will be uninteresting. We should expect more.[/quote]

EARTH TO PLANET NEPOMUK...

Once again... your post is just dripping with arrogance and condescension.
Of course your suggestion to learn a different piece was directed at the
OP, NOT... "some hypothetical young player not willing to put forth more than
minimal effort".
"While they are welcome to play the Hummel poorly,
their time could be better spent on lesser music if
they'd rather be lazy".
"Doing something poorly seems like a waste of time to me,
But everyone is welcome to use their time as they see fit".
"If the standard is thoughtless performance I results will be uninteresting.
We should expect more".

You are making a lot of assumptions there...
What makes you think that the OP is going to
" play the Hummel poorly" ???
The fact that the OP came on the TH website
to seek advice from more experienced players
Indicates to me that he is not being "thoughtless"or "lazy"...
as you described it.
You are making way too big a deal out of this,
the OP is an intelligent young high school student who posted a
question on TH about how to do a good performance of the
first movement of the Hummel Concerto
on his B-FLAT TRUMPET !
Most of your suggestions would be better suited
to someone who's preparing their D.M.A. recital !
The OP did not ask for a lecture on authentic
instruments of the period.
But who knows... maybe he'll end up marrying
that girl he meets at the library, and they will have
a couple of kids, and maybe they'll all
learn to play the Hummel Concerto
on keyed trumpets.

Last edited by homecookin on Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:27 am; edited 3 times in total
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabrieli wrote:
omelet wrote:

Reinhold Friedrich’s recording was an absolute eye-opener for me. I first heard it by chance switching on the car radio and my first thought was "oh no, not Hummel again". But then I heard things I have never heard before - dialogues between the trumpet and winds, that you never hear, when it is performed on a modern tinny-sounding eb/e trumpet played too forcefully. Most trumpet players also seem not to understand the meaning of allegro or andante, mixing them up with presto and adagio. If you think playing as fast as possible is playing at a higher level, I cannot help you. This is not a matter of authenticity and a matter of considering the composere’s intentions more important than your own ego.
If you want a tasteful performance on a "modern" instrument try David Guerrier’s performance - in E major on an old Heckel Bb trumpet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKaFOUVP1E
If you think that is difficult perhaps you should know, it was just his warm-up piece in the concert. After a 15 minute break he came back on stage with an old Alexander double-horn and played the Weber Concertino - also perfectly.
Unfortunately nobody posted this on youtube.

So I guess that the following players...
Wynton Marsalis
Maurice Andre
Tine Thing Helseth
Gerard Schwarz
Alison Balsom
all sounded horrible on those "modern, tinny sounding
Eb/E trumpets" that they "played too forcefully."
Maybe they all should heed your advice.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the only recordings available on authentic instruments were by terrible musicians, by all means, we should avoid them. But they aren't. And what's more, they're by musicians who have studied historically informed performance, which informs us far beyond what we hear from the simple act of playing the piece on the instrument it was written for.

I love Maurice André. As far as musicianship, technique, and beauty of sound go, he's the soloist I most strive to emulate. But that doesn't mean I can't listen to anybody else, and it certainly doesn't mean I have to emulate an out-of-date understanding of performance practice. It doesn't mean I can't take an approach that starts out mostly his (or Wynton's, or Hakan's, or whoever's) and add other ideas to it. I think the way we arrive at our own interpretations of these pieces is by listening to a lot of versions, doing our own reading and study, mixing it all up and experimenting to see what works.

Regarding the sound of the keyed trumpet, yes, it's a compromise, and no, we don't have to play funky notes to imitate it. But understanding that the changes in key change the timbre of whole passages could inform how we approach the piece. Or not -- but why not make an informed choice? Why not listen to something crazy and see if something helps us figure things out, even if it's by highlighting something we hate.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be clear...
I have absolutely nothing against listening to or performing the Hummel and the Haydyn on the authentic instruments of that period... The KEYED TRUMPET. But that is certainly above and beyond what the OP's original post was about.
To automatically assume that listening to recorded examples of the Hummel being played on a keyed trumpet is going to enhance the OP's performance of it on his B-flat TRUMPET is a stretch... maybe... maybe not.
My whole point is that his time would be better spent listening to the work being performed on modern instruments to get a sense of the style of the piece.
And as I stated, of course the majority of his time dedicated to this endeavor should be spent on intelligent consistent practice emulating the examples he's listen to.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again for all that you have suggested. I will be playing this piece on my B flat Bach Strad 37, however I do not consider any listening a waste of time. I have listened to many recordings you have advised, and I am paying particular attention to interpretation of the piece (what I previously referred to as "style") and purity in sound. Tone quality and ease is what I am most striving for. My worries for this piece are in this order: 1)Tone quality throughout the piece, 2) interpretation and musicality 3) endurance 4) correct notes.

As advised, I will focus on the ending and the few tricky licks so I can develop confidence and efficiency on these.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Thank you again for all that you have suggested. I will be playing this piece on my B flat Bach Strad 37, however I do not consider any listening a waste of time. I have listened to many recordings you have advised, and I am paying particular attention to interpretation of the piece (what I previously referred to as "style") and purity in sound. Tone quality and ease is what I am most striving for. My worries for this piece are in this order: 1)Tone quality throughout the piece, 2) interpretation and musicality 3) endurance 4) correct notes.

As advised, I will focus on the ending and the few tricky licks so I can develop confidence and efficiency on these.

I wish the best for you on your performance of the Hummel.
I am quite sure that with diligent, consistent, intelligent
practice you will overcome any musical passages
that you currently perceive as obstacles.
There's a great deal of personal satisfaction
that can come with overcoming the challenges
that a work like this can present.
If you enjoy your practice, you will make great
strides in improving your performance.
This will translate into greater confidence
as you progress.
Best of luck to you.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:

Concerning the keyed trumpet...

All of that would be absolutely wonderful if one has
time for all that.
The last time I checked, in the real world,
a high school student's day is pretty busy with
a lot of things that are absolutely not trumpet or
music related.
I still maintain that the time he wasted with the keyed trumpet
would be time better spent listening and practicing.
His time would be also better spent performing a few dry runs
for friends and family before the day of the solo and ensemble
contest.

Do you have some personal vendetta against period performance, or the people who do it? (All the "hoity-toity, high-falutin" business - really?) No, it's probably not realistic for a high schooler to get a keyed trumpet to play, but how much time does it take to listen to one performance of this piece on the instrument it was written for? Not even 20 minutes. In the first place, time spent listening to Reinhold Friedrich is never going to be a waste, but I don't think listening to an interesting and different version once is going to be too onerous an imposition on someone's schedule. If nothing else, getting a sense for the sound and dynamics of the era when most of our core repertoire was written is certainly going to be healthy for understanding how we should aim to sound when playing classical repertoire.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

And if at the end of the Hummel someone approaches you and asks if you " have listened to the Hakan Hardenbergers version" tell him to go visit the man below!
As a matter of fact this happened to me a long time ago. I was consoled by a very skilled musical friend of mine that - "sure, Hakan practices 8 hours a day and is world renowned.......has beeen so for a long time"but is a pro in his business and you are a pro in your".
The very fact that you enthusiastically take on this concerto wanting to make a serious musical performance, asking for help with the details is already per se a very good sign of humïlity and..zest!

So practice the few tricky licks (the drills in the second half were my biggest challenge) and go for your tone and your personal sound, Music is message! What would you like to tell?!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens Lindemen just announced elsewhere on TH that he has released a recording of the Hummel. He's a spectacular player that plays with grace and energy, and the orchestra is pretty good too. I'd check that one out as well.
Edward4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to watch out for articulation! Staccatos and Legatos are fairly prevalent in this piece, and can really change how the piece sounds. I went over this a lot with my instructor, as it's something that is easy to miss, but makes a huge difference.

-Edward
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
Jens Lindemen just announced elsewhere on TH that he has released a recording of the Hummel. He's a spectacular player that plays with grace and energy, and the orchestra is pretty good too. I'd check that one out as well.

Yes, and how many noticed that he recorded the Hummel in E-flat, instead of the original key of E?! (Oh-oh. Hope that doesn't start a firestorm. Seems like it is hard to argue with beautiful playing, regardless of the key. I say, “Here-here, Jens; might as well make use of the specialty E-flat trumpet with the Malone S-pipe and raw brass Shepherd’s crook bell that you had Yamaha make for you!”)

You can hear some of it in the link from the TH thread he posted on Dec. 23 entitled, "Jens Lindeman plays Haydn/Hummel/Albinoni/Hertel.” Here’s how you find that thread on TH:

-Copy his name here: Jens Lindemann
-Click on “forum” at the top of any TH webpage.
-Click on “Search,” which is small and is next to FAQ toward the left side of the page.
-Paste his name in the top empty box and hit Return. Right now it is appearing in the “Performers” section as the third article thread with the title above. Click on the link to read.

Here is the link Jens posted in that TH thread. It is a YouTube interview well worth any player’s time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZclaR_MPvJw

Maybe a professional recording like this in E-flat would help the OP even more. He could play along with it on his/her B-flat trumpet! A simple google search will direct you to the recording here:

https://trumpetjens.bandcamp.com/album/jens-lindemann-plays-haydn-hummel-albinoni-hertel-with-royal-philharmonic-orchestra-and-pinchas-zukerman
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Edit: Please refrain from personal attacks. - TH Moderators>
Paladin53

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the great Timofei Dokshiter recording of the Hummel.

Back when Nixon was a president and I a senior in high school, I played along with Mr Dokshiter ever night preparing the first movement. My vinyl record is well worn.

After the regional contest our band director took some of the first division soloist and ensembles to some type of music appreciation club, comprised of proper old ladies (probably no older than I am now). Some were connected with the music department of the small collage where we lived.

From that performance my pianist accompaniment and I were invited to a music faculty banquet at the collage. This invitation was probably more due to the excellent playing of the rather difficult piano part.
My fellow senior was well know in the music community.

For a high school student I think Homecoming advice is right.
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and here is a link to Markus Würsch on the mother of all keyed trumpets:

https://youtu.be/9XkrFxPBLXQ

Apparently, Weidinger was experimenting with improvements to the keyed trumpet, so he may have hit on more holes with different diameters to improve intonation and evenness in tone. The version here is markedly different to the standard one, I find it to be poorer...

Würsch is a tremendous player, at ease on modern picc as well as on historical instruments, always with excellent tone and musicality.

By the way, renowned soloists on historical instruments are mostly unpretentious and normal: Jean François Madeuf told me he much prefers listening to Telemann interestingly and musically played on modern clarinet, than boringly on natural trumpet. William Dongois is into Bulgarian folk music on PVC kavals and great admirer of Mendez...

Anyway, there are plenty of sublime and varied Hummel interpretations out there, most of them on Eb/E trumpet by the usual suspects we love in the trumpet world to find one’s favourite!
Pierre
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIGH........seems like so many topics on TH eventually devolve into a variant on the "how many trumpet players does it take to screw in a light bulb" riff.....
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help! I’ve definitely used your suggestions and I’ve improved in the piece. Endurance is no longer a worry. Now, along with a good sound and style of course, my focus is tonguing those triplet rhythms fast enough. It’s been an issue for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: