• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Outdoor playing!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Outdoor playing! Reply with quote

I don't often play outdoors much anymore, but I had a Brass Sextet performance in a neighborhood Park last night just after dark for Carol sing alongs, food and fun! Humidity was about 95% and it was unseasonably warm. The stage and our seats were damp when we arrived. Very large crowd!

My fellow musicians and I experienced a huge need to dump moisture from our horns at every opportunity. Much more than I can ever remember! The air seemed heavy as well and our sound almost seemed muffled, at least from my side of the horn. Has anyone ever had this experience? How do you handle it?
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Outdoor playing! Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
I don't often play outdoors much anymore, but I had a Brass Sextet performance in a neighborhood Park last night just after dark for Carol sing alongs, food and fun! Humidity was about 95% and it was unseasonably warm. The stage and our seats were damp when we arrived. Very large crowd!

My fellow musicians and I experienced a huge need to dump moisture from our horns at every opportunity. Much more than I can ever remember! The air seemed heavy as well and our sound almost seemed muffled, at least from my side of the horn. Has anyone ever had this experience? How do you handle it?

I've never particularly cared for playing outdoors, but being an Army musician, I've experienced just about every kind of weather condition at one point or other...except hail - I don't think I've ever been hailed on doing outdoor playing.

So how do you deal with it? As best as you can - every situation is different, so you adjust as you go. There's really nothing else specific or more complex - being a musician is always about listening and making adjustments to whatever is going on, and that includes weather.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have. I play in a jazz band that does a few outdoor gigs each year. The biggest issue is pitch. I check tuning during warmup and set the tuning slide wherever it needs to go to get me in tune with the electronic keys (then it's just careful listening and adjusting from there). I resist the temptation to try and compensate for being outdoors in other regards, like whether the sound is carrying, is muffled, etc. I try to play like I would in a good hall and leave it at that.

Congrats on getting a chance to entertain this crowd. Sounds like fun!
Piccolo Stomvi
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As unhelpful as it may be...

Remind yourself that just because you're not hearing it come back to you as well doesn't mean you're not being heard.

It can be hard at times, but you have to trust the sensations and play at sustainable volume... especially if it's not particularly fun, you need to get to the end of the gig unscathed, and changing too much (especially volume) can land you in trouble pretty quickly.

As far as the moisture goes, you just have to find opportunities to dump it - it's a pain, but the show goes on.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a big band gig once on Okinawa where it was so steamy and humid that my music actually accorded down (folded in on itself) on the music stand. You could look at a street light and not see the light itself, rather just a diffused halo around it.

On the other end of the scale, played a concert in Palm Springs where the temperature was, literally, 110 degrees in the shade and we were in one of those portable Winger trucks/stages. Clothes were soaked through before the first piece ended. But it was dry heat.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
As unhelpful as it may be...

Remind yourself that just because you're not hearing it come back to you as well doesn't mean you're not being heard.

It can be hard at times, but you have to trust the sensations and play at sustainable volume... especially if it's not particularly fun, you need to get to the end of the gig unscathed, and changing too much (especially volume) can land you in trouble pretty quickly.

As far as the moisture goes, you just have to find opportunities to dump it - it's a pain, but the show goes on.

Thanks for all of the feedback! This, in particular, puts the situation in perspective.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we are the representation of everything we do and have learned.

What I mean is this, we choose an instrument that we can work with easily, we choose a mouthpiece on which we can generate the tonality we desire and with familiarity can do that dependably and reliably, and we practice so much that our musicianship becomes faultless.

Furthermore we gain such a depth of experience that unconciously we choose the right things to do to compensate for our surroundings and environment.

We learn how to deliver a solid performance without fretting over small details that would mar our performance and we exude professionalism because of all these things we have learned to do.

When performing we then become a rock upon which the ensemble can build its performance and its reputation.

How do we deal with difficult environments, through good choices, good practice, and a wealth of good experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: