• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wild Thing Players

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
INTJ wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:
dammit i took that personality test again and i am an INTJ.
this stuff rubs off i guess.
blaine. now the name comes to me. thanks for starting this thread.

I kind of thought you might be an INTJ too. We always question, hate argument from authority, love to analyze, but in the end the final and most important criterion for judging merit is the simple question “does it work?”

I am also an INTJ. Would love to try Flip's short cornet, especially if I could A/B copper vs brass bells. I do play the extreme flugel mpc on a size 1, don't find it demanding at all.

INTJs rule!! But because we prefer to work behind the scenes no one knows we rule, which is fine by us.......
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
Don,

My "Mauler" assertion isn't a misspelling. It's an over-aggressive push-back to the dyed-in-the-wool Bach players.

What have you got against Bach players? I harbor no animosity to those who play Wild Things nor do I have a problem with the name. If I thought a Wild Thing played well enough to own one, I would have no problem playing one, whether or not it was call a Wild Thing, a Mauler, or a Wolf in Sheep's Clothing. Just because a Wild Thing doesn't work for me doesn't make it a bad horn. I do, however, wish some of those who do play Wild Things would get off their soap boxes. The world is full of great horns, in addition to the Wild Thing, although some Wild Thing players apparently feel otherwise.

b-b-b-BAAAH! ka-BOOM! You win the prize!!!!

Not only was the moment I described in good natured fun, but you just exemplified the very form of negativism Flip faces every day, because he doesn't run with the lemmings.

But it's okay. Those of us who can play a Wild Thing know we are equipped with the finest instrument in the world. We have no trouble putting up with the plebs.

Well, I didn't think I was being particularly negative towards the Wild Thing or Wild Thing players. All I said was it doesn't work for me but that didn't necessarily make it a bad horn. In fact, I included it as part of a list of great horns. If this is what you describe as "the very form of negativism Flip faces every day", as well as evidently Wild Thing players "know they are equipped with the finest instrument in the world", and finally that Wild Thing players graciously "have no trouble putting up with the plebs (sic)", then this is one plebe that chooses not to join the cult and drink the Kool Aid. Or did I miss the "fun" and sarcasm again?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
Don,

My "Mauler" assertion isn't a misspelling. It's an over-aggressive push-back to the dyed-in-the-wool Bach players.

What have you got against Bach players? I harbor no animosity to those who play Wild Things nor do I have a problem with the name. If I thought a Wild Thing played well enough to own one, I would have no problem playing one, whether or not it was call a Wild Thing, a Mauler, or a Wolf in Sheep's Clothing. Just because a Wild Thing doesn't work for me doesn't make it a bad horn. I do, however, wish some of those who do play Wild Things would get off their soap boxes. The world is full of great horns, in addition to the Wild Thing, although some Wild Thing players apparently feel otherwise.

Not only was the moment I described in good natured fun, but you just exemplified the very form of negativism Flip faces every day, because he doesn't run with the lemmings.

But it's okay. Those of us who can play a Wild Thing know we are equipped with the finest instrument in the world. We have no trouble putting up with the plebs.

Well, I didn't think I was being particularly negative towards the Wild Thing or Wild Thing players. All I said was it doesn't work for me but that didn't necessarily make it a bad horn. In fact, I included it as part of a list of great horns. If this is what you describe as "the very form of negativism Flip faces every day", as well as evidently Wild Thing players "know they are equipped with the finest instrument in the world", and finally that Wild Thing players graciously "have no trouble putting up with the plebs (sic)", then this is one plebe that chooses not to join the cult and drink the Kool Aid. Or did I miss the "fun" and sarcasm again?

There.

The form of negativism is an entrenched mindset, as Chuck wrote about, that is not open to any ideas outside the mainstream of thinking. Whether you have this mindset or not, I don't know. My anecdote was a poke at the lack of a sense of humor that laughs at ourselves and is open to ventures that require something beyond every day habits and conventions.

From what I have experienced, Wild Thing players, from the Originator down to the newest convert, look at life with healthy curiosity and joi de vivre that is often missing in those who choose to follow conventions (Bach 37, Yamaha Xeno, etc.) in order not to fail, rather than to find the best instrument for them. In their case, the conventional IS the best choice, because it is what others do. Those people will never choose a Wild Thing. You are probably one who will pass it by because it isn't what you need as a player and not because it makes you feel uncomfortable.

They don't like to admit it, but symphony trumpet players fall into the "conventional" camp, apparently because the culture and music requires it. New thinking finds a ton of resistance in the brass instrument industry at all levels, but the C Trumpet crowd is perhaps the most narrow-thinking. Hence the "Mauler" punch line.

That should be enough to need my fire suit for the next page or so.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading some other trumpet-herald Wild Thing threads out of curiosity. And I’ve never seen such a die hard group of horn groupies anywhere!

I also read about Flip’s total horn enhancement and valve alignment. It costs about $400. Okay, seems fair.

Also I know what other new Kanstul trumpets cost and sell for.

Flip has Zig and crew build a horn. He does the enhancements before sending a Wild Thing out for sale, then sells his horn for $3800. It’s expensive for a Kanstul trumpet with a valve alignment and his enhancement work, but not earth shattering expensive.

That said, I don’t think pro level players would gasp and runaway from the price tag, it not much more than a new Bach, Yamaha or Schilke trumpet. And musicians are known for spending a lot or too much for our instruments. From new Bach’s or $4000 artist Yamaha trumpets, to vinctage collectables, to $10,000 plus Monette trumpets.

Then for “sponsorship” I don’t think that’s really an issue. I don’t think Yamaha or Bach are giving away free horns to their “artists” especially since they have so many. Every city’s college professor or semi big name seems to be an artist. And I doubt they are giving away free horns from coast to coast.

So beyond the Trumpet-herald Wild Thing players and fans, I’d think if a moderate priced horn is really such a monster killer trumpet, despite its silly name, you’d see tons of too call pros playing them?

Arturo plays them, but let’s be honest he’s a bit of a gear head that routinely gets new horns and such and is always playing something different. So he’s not some exclusive Wild Thing endorsed artist.

I find it interesting the buzz Wild Thing trumpets get on this forum but I’ve only seen two players using them on jobs and besides Arturo, I’ve never seen any house hold name players performing on one.

I’ve played them a couple times. They have some good attributes of Bach and Benge trumpets. They’re built well (Kanstul) and are quality. Not my cup of tea for reasons I mentioned.

But the fan loyalty on the Trumpet-Herald is wild!
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
Don,

There.

The form of negativism is an entrenched mindset, as Chuck wrote about, that is not open to any ideas outside the mainstream of thinking. Whether you have this mindset or not, I don't know. My anecdote was a poke at the lack of a sense of humor that laughs at ourselves and is open to ventures that require something beyond every day habits and conventions.

From what I have experienced, Wild Thing players, from the Originator down to the newest convert, look at life with healthy curiosity and joi de vivre that is often missing in those who choose to follow conventions (Bach 37, Yamaha Xeno, etc.) in order not to fail, rather than to find the best instrument for them. In their case, the conventional IS the best choice, because it is what others do. Those people will never choose a Wild Thing. You are probably one who will pass it by because it isn't what you need as a player and not because it makes you feel uncomfortable.

They don't like to admit it, but symphony trumpet players fall into the "conventional" camp, apparently because the culture and music requires it. New thinking finds a ton of resistance in the brass instrument industry at all levels, but the C Trumpet crowd is perhaps the most narrow-thinking. Hence the "Mauler" punch line.

Well, I am not sure where to begin. The unsubstantiated assumptions, suppositions, and conclusions regarding everything from why I don't play a Wild Thing to the thinking of symphony players are truly astounding. It reads like the final chapter of a doctoral thesis on a variety of loosely related topics for which there hasn't been a shred of evidence presented to back up the rambling, paranoid, cult-like conclusions.

The fact of the matter is I currently play, and for a very long time have played horns that could be easily described as unconventional. So does the fact that I play unconventional equipment, but not a Wild Thing, still make me a "plebe' or does it make me one of the enlightened few? Evidently only Shofarguy or his minion can answer this with any sense of "authority". The rest of us "plebes" remain on the edges of our seats.

By the way, when you start using terms like "Originator", "newest convert", and describe how the converts look at life differently from "the others", it sounds to me that owning a Wild Thing is a religious experience. What am I missing?

Last edited by adagiotrumpet on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it sad that this thread has devolved into one member baiting others and then calling them names when they respond. I looked forward to a candid discussion about the instrument.

I was one who pushed back in the past, but not because of my opinions on the wild thing, for which I have no negatives, but because of the way the owners seemed to overwhelm discussions so often.

I hope we can get this thread back on track.

One side excursion, if I may, I also am an INTJ.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
Don,

There.

Well, I am not sure where to begin. The unsubstantiated assumptions, suppositions, and conclusions regarding everything from why I don't play a Wild Thing to the thinking of symphony players are truly astounding. It reads like the final chapter of a doctoral thesis on a variety of loosely related topics for which there hasn't been a shred of evidence presented to back up the rambling, paranoid, cult-like conclusions.

The fact of the matter is I currently play, and for a very long time have played horns that could be easily described as unconventional. So does the fact that I play unconventional equipment, but not a Wild Thing, still make me a "plebe' or does it make me one of the enlightened few? Evidently only Shofarguy or his minion can answer this with any sense of "authority". The rest of us "plebes" remain on the edges of our seats.

By the way, when you start using terms like "Originator", "newest convert", and describe how the converts look at life differently from "the others", it sounds to me that owning a Wild Thing is a religious experience. What am I missing?

Can we STOP please!! This is why I addressed this the to "Wild Thing Players." I have ZERO interest is a pissing match about a horn. We should play what we like and leave others be.

The WT in unique and there is value in WT players discussing how they use the horn and what they like. let's keep the thread focused on that.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are kinda nuts. We’re talking about a hunk of metal and plumbing. Why get so excited about something like a trumpet?

For those Wild Thing owners; I’m happy you’re happy with your purchase.

However when you make grandiose claims and speak of other’s ignorance for not choosing the trumpet you chose, expect to ruffle some feathers.

It’s just a trumpet guys. Relax.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right... But it's so fun!

Just this past Saturday night I had the chance to meet Rex Merriweather and his wife Christine in Scottsdale, where he was scheduled to play with Stone Soul on New Years Eve. Rex plays one of only two copper bell WTs with the original spec lead pipe. I brought my WT flugelhorn and the 1603+ Wallace Roney trumpet I have on loan from Kanstul.

Rex is an LA session player, and leads his own big band, too. Ed Mann introduced us and Rex would let me sit in when I could on Wednesday nights with This Ain't Your Daddy's Big Band. He would come out to Glendora and play with my group, Shofar, sometimes and did a Christmas service with me at my church once. I remember how wonderful it was to play next to another trumpet player who also plays a Wild Thing. I didn't have to try to blend or work to balance with what was coming out of his horn. We just played and the sound blossomed.

Saturday night, I picked up my flugelhorn and started playing Gabriel's Oboe. Rex took up his trumpet and began to harmonize and counterpoint to my melody. It was relaxing and satisfying, as the notes sort of embraced each other. It had been 6 years since that sort of thing had happened to me.

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
You guys are kinda nuts. We’re talking about a hunk of metal and plumbing. Why get so excited about something like a trumpet?

For those Wild Thing owners; I’m happy you’re happy with your purchase.

However when you make grandiose claims and speak of other’s ignorance for not choosing the trumpet you chose, expect to ruffle some feathers.

It’s just a trumpet guys. Relax.

I am not sure when this all started. I suspect it's because of the very strong inertia to put all players into a MLB Bach 37/25 type horn with a Bach 1.5C or 3C MP. That works well for some players but not all. However, the vibe I always ran into was that if you couldn't play the aforementioned equipment well you just weren't meant to be a trumpet player.

Given that a certain type of equipment only works for what, 15-20% of trumpet players, many of us experienced frustration and failure. On the 37/25 ish horn with a Bach 1.5C, I could not play above the staff in High School in the 1970s, so I quit. I came back to trumpet 23 years later using the same kind of horn but a smaller MP. I did develop much better range but couldn't play in tune above the staff. When I finally went to the WT, all the intonation issues were resolved and I was able to continue developing as a player. I have since played DHCs in gigs. I have played the Kenton Clowns solo and Maynards high solos in McArthur Park. I can blend with almost a flugel like sound, and I can scream over the band--all on the same horn and MP.

So what we have is a certain minority of players that sound great on a Bach 37/25, and a different minority of players that suck on the 37/25 but sound great on the WT. Each group tends to not understand why things are different for the other group.

We should CELEBRATE it when a certain player does well on a certain horn, regardless of what that is.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure it is Bach vs Wild Thing. There are plenty of other brands out there that have their fan boys. Committee, Olds, Getzen, Monette, there is even a guy out there that is a Beuscher fan boy. (joke)

But there is a loyaty to Wild Things that we don't see with many other brands. There is obviously something that this instrument has for you that makes you so satisfied.

Even when confronted by others, possibly close minded people, the Wild Thing owners continue to extoll the instrument.
jimseifert7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BACH ALL the WAAAAYYYYY!!!!!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I am not sure it is Bach vs Wild Thing. There are plenty of other brands out there that have their fan boys. Committee, Olds, Getzen, Monette, there is even a guy out there that is a Beuscher fan boy. (joke)

But there is a loyaty to Wild Things that we don't see with many other brands. There is obviously something that this instrument has for you that makes you so satisfied.

Even when confronted by others, possibly close minded people, the Wild Thing owners continue to extoll the instrument.

Rusty,

The "Bach" issue is not really the instrument or its prevalence, but that it occupies a certain pedestal in the minds of trumpet players, band directors, dealers and others that is somehow now the standard in sound, feel and prestige.

The Wild Thing represents an individuality of mind that shuns the choices that average, peer-approval-chasing musicians make to fit in. Add to that what is written above about discovering a trumpet that opens doors of opportunity to grow that other models kept shut and you suddenly have a musician who is excited with passion that had been waning in failure, but now is invigorated with promise.

If that guy writes about his new experience, he is promptly discounted as "Non-professional," a Kool-Ade drinker, a fanatic, or chided because after all the trumpet is just a collection of metal tubes. All of this intimates that he is a bit of a lunatic. Frankly, it can get tiring. More often than not, the biggest antagonists have never tried a Wild Thing for more than a few moments, if at all. So, the result is that those of us who know and play them develop our own clicque, not by choice, but because so many other players just won't go down our road. It's not entirely "them vs us," but each an every time there is a WT thread some of them show up.

adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have made it abundantly clear that I harbor no resentment to either the Wild Thing or those who play one. For me it doesn't get the job done. For those of you that have found it to be the best equipment for your playing requirements, that's great. In fact that's what many, if not most of us try to find, a horn that gets the job done. What I have a difficult time with is when die heart Wild Thing players consider the rest of us as "conventional plebes" to be only tolerated because we don't find the Wild Thing to be our panacea.

To say the Wild Thing is unconventional is an understatement. So what. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't. Is the Bach 37/25 considered conventional? Probably, because it seems to work for a lot of people. Again, so what. I don't play a Wild Thing and I have never found a Bach 37/25 that I liked. Does that make me conventional or unconventional. Who knows and who cares?

Although I admittedly have no evidence to back this up, I think most players who don't play a Wild Thing trumpet also don't hold those who play the Wild Thing in contempt. It would be nice if the few die heart Wild Thing players who seem to hold us "conventional plebes" in contempt would cease to do so.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
I think I have made it abundantly clear that I harbor no resentment to either the Wild Thing or those who play one. For me it doesn't get the job done. For those of you that have found it to be the best equipment for your playing requirements, that's great. In fact that's what many, if not most of us try to find, a horn that gets the job done. What I have a difficult time with is when die heart Wild Thing players consider the rest of us as "conventional plebes" to be only tolerated because we don't find the Wild Thing to be our panacea.

To say the Wild Thing is unconventional is an understatement. So what. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't. Is the Bach 37/25 considered conventional? Probably, because it seems to work for a lot of people. Again, so what. I don't play a Wild Thing and I have never found a Bach 37/25 that I liked. Does that make me conventional or unconventional. Who knows and who cares?

Although I admittedly have no evidence to back this up, I think most players who don't play a Wild Thing trumpet also don't hold those who play the Wild Thing in contempt. It would be nice if the few die heart Wild Thing players who seem to hold us "conventional plebes" in contempt would cease to do so.

It was a joke, hence the emojis. Lighten up.

Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimseifert7 wrote:
BACH ALL the WAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Post #5, what’s for sale?

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Rusty,

The "Bach" issue is not really the instrument or its prevalence, but that it occupies a certain pedestal in the minds of trumpet players, band directors, dealers and others that is somehow now the standard in sound, feel and prestige.

The Wild Thing represents an individuality of mind that shuns the choices that average, peer-approval-chasing musicians make to fit in. Add to that what is written above about discovering a trumpet that opens doors of opportunity to grow that other models kept shut and you suddenly have a musician who is excited with passion that had been waning in failure, but now is invigorated with promise.

If that guy writes about his new experience, he is promptly discounted as "Non-professional," a Kool-Ade drinker, a fanatic, or chided because after all the trumpet is just a collection of metal tubes. All of this intimates that he is a bit of a lunatic. Frankly, it can get tiring. More often than not, the biggest antagonists have never tried a Wild Thing for more than a few moments, if at all. So, the result is that those of us who know and play them develop our own clicque, not by choice, but because so many other players just won't go down our road. It's not entirely "them vs us," but each an every time there is a WT thread some of them show up.

Again a disparaging remark, just because someone doesn’t agree with your choice.

Dude, many people prefer Bach’s because their Bach is simply better for them. And they get attacked more often than the Wild Thing owners.

How many threads have you heard about, “you need to try out dozens of Bach’s to find a good one.” When, just as you state about the Wild Thing, many have never tried a Bach, let alone dozens.

I attempted to word my quoted reply in a positive and complimentary light. I apologize if it came accross otherwise.

Let’s stop discussing how downtrodden and oppressed we are and have a discussion about Wild Things and their merits, please.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same grief for years because I played and liked a Jet Tone I had for 15 years. I finally had an identical copy made on a Bach blank so people would stop sneering, and making negative comments about my mouthpiece preference.

“Your tone is awful....it’s a cheater mouthpiece.,..you can’t play low notes on it...get a real mouthpiece” etc

So I get it.

But geez, I never started a Jet Tone fan club, or claimed any magical or mystical powers or had any urge to want others to try Jet Tone or berated others for choosing a different mouthpiece or if they never even trying a Jet Tone.

I just don’t care that much. Not would I let my mouthpiece choice stir up three pages of an internet thread. Or get into arguments or ever get personal.

It’s just a hunk of metal. We’re making music. It’s supoosed to be fun.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Flip has had a number of players try and return, just not for them. Some do not like the large bore, even with smaller diameter slides, some do not care for the broad projection, and I am sure it just didn't "fit" some players. I encourage folk to try it but there are so many great horns out there I really don't get the antagonism on either side. We're lucky to have some many great horns to choose from.

I'm just luckier to have my WT/NTC stable.

Happy New Year all, and hoping it's better than the last!

okay don this is good stuff, this is the stuff i was too close up on to see clearly.
what you have with me and flip is an affinity group. we both love and get dixieland, and open horns, and sweet playing, and we are kindred spirits in many ways.
the trumpet has a lot of colors and uses. i could see someone really regretting the loss of laser straight narrow projection that they have been relying on for decades. myself, i was immediately taken in with the broad french horn type of projection and tweaked bells are kind of a modern trend andy taylor and all that. this particular aspect of the horn would have to irritate some significant portion of players. flip and i both like it, so what.
thanks again blaine for the thread this has been a real eye opener and immensely entertaining.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to try one. In fact I exchanged emails with Flip years ago, but never pulled the trigger.

Now my peak earning years are behind me and I have settled on learning to play the equipment I currently own to the best of my abilities.

If I were to try one now, I might just end up on the dark side. Or the light, depending one’s viewpoint.

Seriously, I might end up liking the horn and wanting to spend money on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: