• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

need new lead mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_ae17caf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
darxder wrote:
I also agree with the Shew Lead. I'm young (15) and always had trouble with anything really above the staff. I was using a Bach 1c at the time.

I'm glad the Shew Lead has helped but I'm concerned about the fact that you say you had trouble functioning above the staff. I would never suggest a piece like the Shew as a fix for playing dysfunctionality. A 1C or similar isn't a lead mp but in my opinion if you can't play at least a decent high C on a 1C, there's something off about the mechanics of your playing. I can't help but think you'd get even more out of that Yamaha Shew Lead if you addressed this.

It was more a mix of not practicing and having bad habits without a good teacher than just the mouthpiece. Since my post, I can squeal a double C and consistently play a high C on any mouthpiece I own (1C, 3C, 7C). But the Shew Lead definitely helped in getting me there.

edit: forgot to mention that the switching my embouchure over to the maggio method, embouchure, system whatever was one of the best decisions I made in helping me player higher and better in any case. So to the OP, maybe reforming your embouchure might help as well. and of course consistently practicing stuff like flexibility, scales, arpeggios, etc
amateurcornetist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: need new lead mouthpiece Reply with quote

Joel11 wrote:
Hi ! I am on the look out for a new lead mouthpiece.
I currently use a Best Brass 11E .617 E cup
and have used it for about 2 or so years it does the job but is pretty weak on
Sustaining those high notes for long
which produces a fuzzy sound after a while and the lips get tired. Any reccomandations ? and by the way how are those Legends Brass Mouthpieces for lead ?

Thanks

People have different embouchures which require different mouthpieces.

What works for one person will not work for another person.

I have never been able to play any mouthpiece that was recommended to me.
Nobody else has ever been able to play what works for me.

So it is futile to give or receive specific mouthpiece recommendations.

One should only give or receive general recommendations,
such as "try a faster drop-off from rim into cup".

But people will be asking for and giving specific mouthpiece recommendations here 100 years after I am dead.
digis10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go to a shop and just try a bunch out. take your time in deciding which one you like. I have heard the Yamaha 14a4a and schilke 14a4a are good lead mouthpieces
NevadaBigHorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Warburton S cup. Shallow cup helps in the high register but there's plenty of room for your chops so they don't bottom out as the night wears on. I play the 6S.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digis10 wrote:
I would go to a shop and just try a bunch out. take your time in deciding which one you like. I have heard the Yamaha 14a4a and schilke 14a4a are good lead mouthpieces

Not a bad idea, but there aren’t a lot of shops where you would have much luck finding a really broad range of mpces to try. Other than places like Dillon Music, most music stores stock what sells to students; Bach, Schilke, etc., and usually not many sizes of those. They stock sizes that sell to students.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: