• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Picc Mouthpiece Quest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Picc Mouthpiece Quest Reply with quote

After getting such great information here when I got my Schilke X3L last June and coming up with a mouthpiece that really works for me (Bach 1.5C with a 26 throat (the 1.5 C being closest to my old 1960's 5C)), I experienced phenomenal growth in my playing. This setup encouraged more relaxed playing, expanding my musical range (as opposed to squeak it out range) by an octave and opened up all kinds of musical possibilities. A lot may be because I love playing this horn and setup and look forward to practicing each day (after so many years of playing), but I think that is because it works so well for me. (A big thank you to all who helped.)
This all got me to thinking (horn junkie that I am) I would like the ease of fingering and note differentiation that comes with a picc when playing up high, and keeping with the large bore theme of the X3L, I picked up an excellent used Kanstul 920 for my first picc. I read a lot about picc mouthpieces and got a Bach 3E cornet piece as being closest to the rim, etc. I am used to but in a picc mouthpiece. I have also tried the Kanstul P that came with the horn. Since I have the trumpet receivers also, I also tried some of my trumpet mouthpieces.
I can play the picc easiest with my main trumpet mouthpiece (Bach 1.5C 26 throat), decent tone, moderate range. I can play with either of the cornet pieces, but much easier to slip into kazoo mode with them and more work to play with a decent sound. Playing high is about the same on all pieces, though a little easier on the trumpet piece.
Sorry for the long-winded route to my question, but I am not completely satisfied in this quest. I need a direction to explore.
Would it be sensible to get a cornet version of my 1.5C with a 117 backbore and 26 throat (too open? and expensive?)? The shallow cornet pieces encourage gentle playing like the trumpet piece, but are a lot more work. Should I get a 3E cornet with a 26 throat? Or should I keep working with the smaller mouthpieces and assume it is a learning curve?
Any advice even outside of these questions is greatly appreciated.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in my suggestion for a Curry 3P - designed as a picc piece-cornet shank (there is also a version designed with trumpet shank)

The rim is very similar to Bach's, a touch less bite and deeper than a 3E, which I find too shallow and harsh. And the price is right - 60 bucks-ish you can get a top-notch mouthpiece

happy hunting..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a Bach 7EW and Curry 5P on my Schilke P5-4. I prefer the Curry 5P but I would say they are pretty similar and blow mostly the same. The Curry is just a little bit easier overall. I'm going to pick up a Stork SP6 soon so I'll post back and let you know how that goes. (I'm going for ease and response because a good sound isn't an issue for me.)
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68

Last edited by O00Joe on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same picc. My Bb piece is a smallish 3C rim on a 1.5C underpart. I don't know if my experience is typical but here's what I've learned.

The horn plays better with a cornet shank mouthpiece. I took the horn to Kanstul to buy the trumpet shank pipes. that's when they told me the horn was optimized for cornet shank. I can play a bit easier with some of the trumpet shank pieces I tried but the sound and response were worse. I do have one friend that likes to use my picc with a trumpet shank 3D and it seems to work for him.

I hate typical picc mouthpieces including the Kanstul P and the Schilke 11AX. I suspect that this is because I have too much lip encroachment for these shallow pieces. My earliest success was with a Yamaha cornet 14C4. I later migrated to an 11C4 then 11B4 (both cornet shank) which are progressively a bit easier to manage. I think there's bound to be better options for me but I haven't found them yet.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better pack your mosquito netting, because piccolo mouthpiece safaris can be long and frustrating.

For me, to play most of the A shank literature requires a high F. I don't currently get there with anything I've tried. Everything beneath that involves some sort of trade-off between sound and range.

7 EW - Nice sound, consistent high C (middle C in the staff as written)

Schilke 14A4A - Bigger rim than I like to play, OK sound, pretty good high D but not all that consistent

Stork SM-XV10 (recommended to me by Phyllis in lieu of one of their picc models) - Consistent high D, meh Eb.....sound really suffers below high G (middle G on the staff as written).

Will find my way back to civilization one day hopefully.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3G VR or 3F VR might be excellent options for you. Stomvi has a trial policy

http://stomvi-usa.com/piccolo-trumpet-mouthpieces/

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke 14B4x (not as shallow as the A cups, not the tight "a" backbore, but the more open throat and backbore they made for picc -- or so they told me) and Curry 5P. I go back and forth but the Curry 5P is the one that works best most of the time and is closer to your Bach.

I tried a few others I've mostly forgotten but those are the two I stuck with.

FWIWFM - Don
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the piccolo mpc safari can be long and costly, both financially and emotionally!

Mine took aver 20 years, and from the P has said, I suspect he may find my solution worked for him.

I use the same rim and cup on all my instruments apart from cornet, flugel and corn da caccia. If the 1.5C mpc feels best, then I suggest to get a 1.5C sized mpc optimised for piccolo.

I found this in a Monette 3 series mouthpiece. Use a AP3 in a prank series with z trumpet shank and a BP3 prank in a cornet shank. the cornet works great on my Kanstul picc. (I use month n just about everything apart from natural trumpet)

Expensive? Yep. Is it worth it to me? Totally and completely, without any doubt.

cheers

Andy
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I have used over the years and that has worked:

JK 7DW - like a Bach 7DW but bigger backbore

Monette A15 in cornet shank

James R New S4MS with a Warburton 11* cornet backbore - quite similar in size to the 7DW.

All of these have given me the sound I am looking for and reasonable intonation across the range. The Monette had better intonation

Way back I used a Bach 6 on piccolo trumpet and did some of my best playing on that even though it was a large mouthpiece.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for so many useful comments , a lot of food for thought.

A couple of follow-up questions:

1. Are the Curry numbers roughly equivalent to the Bach numbers in terms of the rim sizes, shapes? 1.5 = 1.5, 3 = 3?
Same question for Stomvi ...?

2. I see no A15 or AP3 in the Monette chart. I wonder where I could get a look at the specs.

Thanks.
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry follows Bach numbers but sizes correspond more closely to the original Mt. Vernon than later editions IIRC. I like his rims better than today's Bach mpcs FWIWFM. I think Mark Curry is making "better than Bach" Bach mpcs.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks on the Curry sizes. That brings me around full circle. I play a modern 1.5C (with an enlarged throat) on my Bb but that is because it is closest to my 1960's 5C.
So perhaps I should try a 5P Curry -- does that make sense?
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, and number of others, prefer a slightly smaller mpc on picc but YMMV. Coming from a 1.25C you might want to try a 3P instead. When I ordered I worked with Mark and he sent me a range to try (my normal mpc is around a 3 rim but I settled on a 5P).

HTH - Don
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a fan of dropping a size (or two) for the picc.

If you're coming from a modern 1.5C the Curry 3P. might be a good place to start. I liked the one I had but since I was coming from a small vintage Bach 3C (think Yamaha 14B4) it felt too big, almost like a 1.5C (think Yamaha 16C4). If you don't like the wide flat feel of a Bach 3 rim (compared to the Bach 1.5C) then you certainly could consider the Curry 5P whose rim I'm told resembles the feel of the Bach 5C in case you like that feel better.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice on my Schilke P5-4: Warburton 6S(Warbornite) with S10* backbore.
Eric Ball
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stork 7P is wonderful!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the depth of the Stork piccolo cup compare to the depth of a Bach E cup?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Thanks on the Curry sizes. That brings me around full circle. I play a modern 1.5C (with an enlarged throat) on my Bb but that is because it is closest to my 1960's 5C.
So perhaps I should try a 5P Curry -- does that make sense?

No, I'd suggest Curry's 3 series.. bigger than a Bach 3, and with the slightly softer bite feels bigger.. I play(ed) on Bach 1.5's and find Curry 3C's comparable
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the Curry sizes. I do not get along well with Bach 3s (modern ones that is, either 3C for the Bb or 3E for the piccolo) for some reason. That made me leery of the Curry 3P, but I will keep the Curry 3 on the list now.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my Stork Studio Master SP6 so I gotta resurrect this thread as I said I would.

Note that I use a Schilke P5-4 with a Reeves A adaptor on the stock leadpipe and I have had experience with a Bach 7EW and a Curry 5P.

The Stork SM SP6 is shallower than the previously mentioned but slightly more comfortable, I'd say. It responds SO MUCH easier than either of them and the sound is comparable to the Curry 5P, maybe a little bit brighter but more colorful. Articulation seems about the same. The high range is noticably easier as well. I did have to pull the leadpipe just a tad coming from the Curry 5P. Overall the Stork SP6 is the better mouthpiece for me and I highly recommend.

Now I use my Bach 7EW and Curry 5P as lead/commercial pieces with a trumpet adaptor on my Bb.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: