• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vintage Maynard Mouthpiece Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZachBandMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Vintage Maynard Mouthpiece Question Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am currently looking to purchase my first Maynard-style mouthpiece, but seeing how many different ones are available on the market led to some questions about the differences. The three that I am considering the most are the Legends MF HG, Ingram Vintage Maynard, and Ingram V-cup. I was looking to see if anyone had experience with all three and could explain the differences between them. Any information about them or any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kanstul F. Besson Meha C Trumpet
Lebrun Flugelhorn
Schilke B3 Bb Trumpet
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only "true" Maynard mouthpiece of those three is the Ingram/Pickett MF 50's replica. ALL the Legends mouthpieces have whatever back bore and throat Derek Saidak deems appropriate and are not true replicas as such. The Ingram V Cup is just that ... Ingram's V Cup I believe with a 30 throat and longer shank.

Patrick's MF1 (old style) short shank and 25 throat.
Ingram/Pickett Replica short shank and 24 throat.
Curry HG piece is an almost exact duplicate with short shank
GR "Groovin High" (good luck finding one of these)
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Zach. If this is your first Maynard mouthpiece, you may want to consider the Ingram V-cup, as it’s easier to play, it also sounds great. Roger made this based on Maynard’s Calicchio, but made it easier to play, with a little more bite to the rim, a 30 throat, and some other minor modifications.

You also have the Stomvi GH VR mouthpiece, which also sounds wonderful: http://stomvi-usa.com/shop/gh-vr-flex-trumpet-mouthpiece/

Another fantastic Maynard style mouthpiece that’s easier to play is Derek Saidak’s FBL TSX: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGENDS-MF-FBL-TXS-Bb-Trumpet-Mouthpiece-613-Inspired-by-rare-historic-piece-/322788483125

A little more challenging to play, if it’s your first Maynard piece, is Jim New’s new Jim Manley Jazz1..A fantastic sounding piece as well.

If you’re looking for some ‘training tools’ to go along with your switch to the Maynard style pieces, I can highly recommend Lynn Nicholson’s ‘Mindless Hardware Technology’ which comes with a more extreme Maynard-style mouthpiece as well as a rim to do Lynn’s type of rim buzzing.

Rusty is right, the Pickett Vintage MF is the closest to Maynard’s original Calicchio - it’s the exact copy in every way. It may take you awhile to get used to this one.

Jim New’s new Manley Lead3 is another piece with a HUGE sound, but it can also take awhile to get used to if you've never played a Maynard design before.

I usually have my real ‘screamer’ Maynard style piece, currently the Lead3 that I use for those style of gigs. And I have my darker sounding Maynard pieces that I use for small group jazz, commercial and on-mic playing. These would be the Manley Jazz1, Legends FBL TSX or FBL TM (the last being a wonderfully dark, beautiful sounding piece great for softer small group jazz, ballads, etc.). I also have my Stomvi GHM which really covers a lot of ground style-wise, but it’s a smaller diameter than all my other ones. The Stomvi GH is closer to the other Maynard diameters (as opposed to the GHM).

Honestly, if you are a pro player and find the Maynard style pieces work for you, you should get all the pieces I mentioned!!
Www.LexSamu.com
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
The only "true" Maynard mouthpiece of those three is the Ingram/Pickett MF 50's replica. ALL the Legends mouthpieces have whatever back bore and throat Derek Saidak deems appropriate and are not true replicas as such. The Ingram V Cup is just that ... Ingram's V Cup I believe with a 30 throat and longer shank.

Patrick's MF1 (old style) short shank and 25 throat.
Ingram/Pickett Replica short shank and 24 throat.
Curry HG piece is an almost exact duplicate with short shank
GR "Groovin High" (good luck finding one of these)

Hi Rusty,

I've never heard of the Curry HG. I tried looking for it on their website with no luck. Is that one that you have to contact them for?

all the best,

Jr
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaw,

Curry doesn't advertise them; however, I am sure he'd make you one. It is identical to the Ingram/Pickett (as far as I can tell from the blow) just a different style blank.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally:

Greg Black produces several MF pieces ... I have his Vintage MF (the Giardinelli that was made for him) which has a 25 throat and longer shank (more resistance in the mouthpiece)

Lynn Nicholson's Personal piece is a V Cup that plays like a lazer beam ... diameter is just a very small tad wider than the MF cups ... not much .. and whatever they have done to the throat and back bore ... this piece get a HUGE sound.

Patrick has his old style MF 1 with the 25 throat and short shank (that I have and enjoy) .. he also has the identical cup/rim with a 30 throat and longer shank that he sells so you have to specify which one you want.

I have the: Lynn Nicholson Monette Prana piece (that gets a HUGE sound)
Pickett/Ingram Reproduction piece; Curry's GH piece and Patrick's "old style" piece; and Greg Black's Vintage Giardinelli MF piece.

If you like more resistance in the mouthpiece itsself ... get a normal shank and tighter throat piece ... more open blow in the mouthpiece ... get a short shank and larger throat.

I absolutely LOVE these pieces and also utilize a Marcinkiewicz Claude Gordon Personal piece for all of my technical studies with a #22 throat and one with a #20 throat. These are deep V Cups.
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has played numerous MF-style mouthpieces over the years, the best I've found is the Stomvi JimFlex.

Same rim as Jim Manley's old custom Reeves mouthpiece (itself a copy of a Giardinelli MF1), but the bottom of the straight V-cup has been replaced with a very shallow bowl.

If you like it tighter, get it with a T2 backbore and #30 throat. If you like it more open, get it with the M4G backbore. I have one of each, and each plays way better than any "legit" MF mouthpiece I've owned over the years.

Keep in mind, any MF mouthpiece is going to be quite narrow, with no definable inside edge, and it will have a very high alpha angle. This type of mouthpiece is largely incompatible with 99% of trumpet players, due to poor embouchure technique being so pervasive. The MF mouthpiece exposes bad habits, and forces the player to learn how to prevent the chops from collapsing forward into the mouthpiece. The key to success on this design is keeping the chops compact, yet soft...using less air, not more.

Image of the JimFlex here...

https://scontent.fewr1-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/25299006_10101587650712356_3839633480684294381_n.jpg?oh=6da1db30154cf851bc9a4cb8e3d028d4&oe=5B1610A8

Last edited by deleted_user_fdb91a0 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
Slaw,

Curry doesn't advertise them; however, I am sure he'd make you one. It is identical to the Ingram/Pickett (as far as I can tell from the blow) just a different style blank.

Thank you, Sir! I just sent him an email.
ZachBandMan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Hey there Zach. If this is your first Maynard mouthpiece, you may want to consider the Ingram V-cup, as it’s easier to play, it also sounds great. Roger made this based on Maynard’s Calicchio, but made it easier to play, with a little more bite to the rim, a 30 throat, and some other minor modifications.

You also have the Stomvi GH VR mouthpiece, which also sounds wonderful: http://stomvi-usa.com/shop/gh-vr-flex-trumpet-mouthpiece/

Another fantastic Maynard style mouthpiece that’s easier to play is Derek Saidak’s FBL TSX: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGENDS-MF-FBL-TXS-Bb-Trumpet-Mouthpiece-613-Inspired-by-rare-historic-piece-/322788483125

A little more challenging to play, if it’s your first Maynard piece, is Jim New’s new Jim Manley Jazz1..A fantastic sounding piece as well.

If you’re looking for some ‘training tools’ to go along with your switch to the Maynard style pieces, I can highly recommend Lynn Nicholson’s ‘Mindless Hardware Technology’ which comes with a more extreme Maynard-style mouthpiece as well as a rim to do Lynn’s type of rim buzzing.

Rusty is right, the Pickett Vintage MF is the closest to Maynard’s original Calicchio - it’s the exact copy in every way. It may take you awhile to get used to this one.

Jim New’s new Manley Lead3 is another piece with a HUGE sound, but it can also take awhile to get used to if you've never played a Maynard design before.

I usually have my real ‘screamer’ Maynard style piece, currently the Lead3 that I use for those style of gigs. And I have my darker sounding Maynard pieces that I use for small group jazz, commercial and on-mic playing. These would be the Manley Jazz1, Legends FBL TSX or FBL TM (the last being a wonderfully dark, beautiful sounding piece great for softer small group jazz, ballads, etc.). I also have my Stomvi GHM which really covers a lot of ground style-wise, but it’s a smaller diameter than all my other ones. The Stomvi GH is closer to the other Maynard diameters (as opposed to the GHM).

Honestly, if you are a pro player and find the Maynard style pieces work for you, you should get all the pieces I mentioned!!

Hello,

Thanks for all of the information! I am really interested in the Stomvi GH VR just by looking on their website, but I am not familiar with their mouthpieces. Do you happen to know what the throat and backbore size is on them, or does that depend on which Acoustic Series you choose. If it does, which one would be the closest to the Ingram V-cup. Right now, I think the Stomvi and the Ingram V-cup are the two I am most interested in now.

You also mentioned a couple of the Legends Brass Maynard mouthpieces. Have you had any experience with the Legends MF HG. I was just wondering since they say it is a copy of the 50's Calicchio piece, but with a tighter throat and backbore.

Thanks again for all the info.
Lebrun Flugelhorn
Schilke B3 Bb Trumpet
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Legends HG and love it. I also have an Ingram V Cup. I have also played on the Patrick MF1, and I have a Lynn Nicholson X Piece. I have tried almost every Maynard like MP. I don’t thing a Legends HG is any where near close to the real thing but it’s damn sure a great lead MP.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Zach, definitely, definitely, definitely give Jon Ruff at Stomvi a call. He's a super nice cat and extremely knowledgable (and I'm not just saying that because he's a fellow aloha shirt wearer/collector ) He's here on the TH and you could also PM him. He'll give you all the detailed info on the Stomvi GH that you could want.

As far as the Legends HG, I wouldn't say it's nowhere near the Pickett Vintage MF like lawdawg, but, yes, it's not an exact copy. It's Derek's take on it and is a wonderful mouthpiece. Being a first-time player on an MF design, the Stomvi and Ingram may be easier for you to play..so you may want to start your MF collection there and, then, go for the Pickett and Legends. All the very best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
ZachBandMan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Hey Zach, definitely, definitely, definitely give Jon Ruff at Stomvi a call. He's a super nice cat and extremely knowledgable (and I'm not just saying that because he's a fellow aloha shirt wearer/collector ) He's here on the TH and you could also PM him. He'll give you all the detailed info on the Stomvi GH that you could want.

As far as the Legends HG, I wouldn't say it's nowhere near the Pickett Vintage MF like lawdawg, but, yes, it's not an exact copy. It's Derek's take on it and is a wonderful mouthpiece. Being a first-time player on an MF design, the Stomvi and Ingram may be easier for you to play..so you may want to start your MF collection there and, then, go for the Pickett and Legends. All the very best, Lex

Hello,

Thanks! I'll definitely give him a call and check them out.
Lebrun Flugelhorn
Schilke B3 Bb Trumpet
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ZachBandMan

....all given advices here are correct....

I only would like to add:

I don't know the Ingram V-Cup which costs about 179,- USD, but
the Greg Black NY4 (Giardinelle MF1 successor) is very fine as well - 145,-/170,- USD or as a top even cheaper.

I found the proportion small, shallow v-cup to throat/bore most important in conjunction with the v-cup design: concave, straigth or convex.

I found the convex design MF v-cup (like Jet-Tone MF) to be better with huge bore (#19), whereas the concave/straight work better with narrower throat/bore (#26).

I played the original Giardinelli MF1 (bit concave) , Ingram Vintage Maynard as well: the Giardinelli (or GB NY4) gives a bit more support and saveness and a better sound in my opinion because it is a bit deeper and the entry angle (alpha angle) is more secure. This is the MF 60's configuration I personally like most.

I current use the Monette BL5 which is close Giardinelle MF1/GB NY4: this is the best combination regarding v-Cup design and bore/throat and even backbore so far for the 60's MF configuration. All bore #26.

The 50's configurations: Ingram Vintage Manard or even better Monette LN with #19 bore. This pieces require more Attention because they are shallower.

For learning to let the mouthpiece do the work I would emphasize the convex design: Nicholsen XPiece (convex) or MF Jet-Tone (convex) with bore between #19-#23.

Straight desing v-cup: FBLs and Holton MFs. But these are a bit more deep than the Giardinelly MF1/GB NY4.

Stomvi has a fine 50's configuration as well: GH/VR and GHM HG/VR. Here you must consider the correct cuppler.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey shak! Yeah, that NY4 is a really good piece as well. The Monette BL5 is a very sweet piece. I used to have one but, at the time, I wasn't playing using Lynn's concepts, so I sold it. Maybe I'll pick up another one at some point - but with my pieces I have now, the Jim New Manleys and the Legends FBLs, I can cover all my bases..these are fantastic MF style pieces.

The straight V MF cups work great with the bigger throat, but I also find they work great with a tighter throat as well. My Manley Lead3 is a very shallow straight V cup, but with a 30 throat - it blows very freely and has a HUGE bright lead sound.. I'm not sure how Jim configured the backbore..but the way he put that piece together is fantastic. The Legends FBL pieces have a 27 throat and they have a beautiful, full sound and the TM is quite free blowing.. I have a TSX and just ordered a regular TS as I feel I want some more free-blowingness to this piece with the shallower cup (than the TM). The Jazz1 Manley piece is a 28 throat and a medium shallow straight V - gets a fantastic brilliant jazz sound and blows quite freely. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com

Last edited by ljazztrm on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - Jim New just made Jim Manley and myself a couple of flugel pieces, the F1 and F2.. These pieces are also really excellent. Same rim as the Manley trumpet pieces. The F1 is a little shallower and brighter, both pieces are great for all around playing and have good projection with a ton of overtones.
Www.LexSamu.com
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To echo what Lex is saying ... Jim New has also made the Lynn Nicholson Personal mouthpiece which I have. It is a small tad wider in diameter than the 50's MF pieces (a very small V Cup) and Jin News Magic on the throat and back-bore. I get a HUGE sound with this mouthpiece. That's another one to consider.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warburton MF mouthpiece never gets mentioned in these discussion (that I can recall.) Anyone have any exprience with the Warburton "MF Top" etc ? I know that he has the original Giradinelli #3 back bore in his arsenal.
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warburton MF has a weirdly sharp rim. It's the wrong rim contour, with the high point right near the inside edge. Tried it, hated it. It's bizarre compared to the other MF mouthpieces out there.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites of the ones I have played are:

Greg Blacks "Vintage" MF 1 (Giardinelli blank)
Patricks "old style" MF 1 (short shank 25 throat)
Ingram/Pickett Reproduction piece
Lynn Nicholson's Monette Prana piece
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
My favorites of the ones I have played are:

Greg Blacks "Vintage" MF 1 (Giardinelli blank)
Patricks "old style" MF 1 (short shank 25 throat)
Ingram/Pickett Reproduction piece
Lynn Nicholson's Monette Prana piece

Hi Russell!

Can you tell me more about the Nicholson piece?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: