• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Worth it to get a cornet?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: worth it to get a cornet Reply with quote

I like that the cornet and trumpet are different. But, your own needs may dictate that you only need one right now. A cornet can sound trumpet like or even have the soft duskiness of a flugel. It is harder to approach that on a trumpet but finding the right mouthpiece can darken the sound some, too. If you take part in a city band or something of that nature you could play both trumpet and cornet and find which is the most pleasing for you. A long, long time ago in college I used the school supplied cornet to do my juries on and felt that without a doubt the cornet made technical stuff a little easier. In your case it is a win-win situation. You can always try a flugel or C trumpet and trade or sell for a cornet later on. Good Luck
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a funky 1951 Olds Special cornet from Craigslist. Paid $130.00. I don't play it often, but when I do, I'm always impressed with the 'singing' like tone. It takes a well warmed-up player and a warm horn, to get that pleasant soft tone.

I would say that if you want a cornet, keep your eyes on the classifieds and eventually, you'll find a goof deal on a decent cornet. They're fun to play.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
Of course you need/want a cornet! But........

You’re going to need a short cornet with and without a shepherds crook, you’ll also need a long cornet with and without a shepherds crook and one that is shaped like a trumpet and then.........

You’ll need at very least a half dozen mouthpieces and one of them should definitely be a Denis Wick 4, and then maybe.........

An antique cornet of your fancy

I recommend solving the problem by buying a cheap Yamaha YHCRD2330 student´s cornet. I recently did, to use as a spare horn and much to my satisfaction this simple horn, very well built, was a joy to play. Mine is a 7 year old used one in excellent condition. However, as has been said above - mind the different playing attitudes requested! And learn to use the differences in the tonal spectrum! Might add something good in your musical education!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Worth it for me... Reply with quote

I play brass-winds as a hobbyist. It is worth it for me to have a cornet. Mine is a humble common old thing. But it is great musical fun to play it and appreciate the differences between it and the trumpet. I also use the cornet for my travel horn. It is compact and inexpensive. I keep up my practice routine in hotel rooms by playing it with a practice mute. My cornet mouthpiece has the same rim as my trumpet mouthpiece, but its cup is deeper. Going from one horn to the other seems easy.

As others have written, you need to figure out what you want/need, particularly at your point in life. A bunch of unused brass laying around can become cumbersome.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: