• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carol Brass CTR-8880H-GST-Bb-L VS Vincnet bach 37?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BertKremer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Carol Brass CTR-8880H-GST-Bb-L VS Vincnet bach 37? Reply with quote

What are the differences and similairities between these modell's?
I do have a older 37 Bach but the sound is to straight in my opinion.
and I thinking to buy the CarolBrass.
Curry 1.25 FL mouthpiece mouthpiece
CarolBrass Bb Cornet 3850 GLS
Curry 1.25 BBC
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have the anniversary Yamaha, an older 37 Bach (the good ones) and you want to sell the Yamaha and want to buy a Carol Brass?
Why? What's wrong with your horns or what are you trying to achieve?
And I don't understand what you mean with a too "straight sound".
BertKremer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach horn belongs to the cumunity-band in which I'm playing.
It play's realy good but in my hands the sound is to rough. The sound of the Yamaha is very sweet; I like it very much. The Yamaha is Gold-brass horn and the Bach a yellow-brass one, which makes the difference I think.
I'm looking for a more classical sound.
Curry 1.25 BBC
desmo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BertKremer wrote:
The Bach horn belongs to the cumunity-band in which I'm playing.
It play's realy good but in my hands the sound is to rough. The sound of the Yamaha is very sweet; I like it very much. The Yamaha is Gold-brass horn and the Bach a yellow-brass one, which makes the difference I think.
I'm looking for a more classical sound.

maybe your bach has a problem? if another play your bach it has the same strange sound?

I played very good Bach and sometimes a bad one. I suggest you to try the new Yamaha 8335-02 and the new Bach 37 (2014>). The 850 limited edition is a hybrid between a 6335 and 4335.

CarolBrass make very nice instruments but not in the same league of Xeno or Stradivarius (good one)

my opinion of course
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the only Bach trumpets that play better than the CarolBrass are the Bach Artisan line. For me, $3300 vs. $1500 isn't worth it for marginally better.

In CarolBrass numbering, the models CTR-xxxH-xxx with the standard leadpipe, double brace, and ML bore will player tighter and brassier than a Bach Strad. The CTR-xxxL-xxx with the reverse leadpipe, single brace, ML bore will feel and sound more like the Bach Strad. or Yamaha Xeno. The valve ports are aligned from the factory, and the instruments are generally much better in tune with themselves.

Years ago, I owned a Yamaha Mike Vax trumpet with the gold brass bell. I've also tried a CarolBrass with a gold brass bell, and they sounded entirely different.

I suggest you talk with one of the CarolBrass dealers who participate in this forum to find a setup that suits you, and I highly recommend the sterling leadpipe. Don't rule out a cornet instead of a trumpet either.
brianj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desmo wrote:

CarolBrass make very nice instruments but not in the same league of Xeno or Stradivarius (good one)

my opinion of course

Hi

I'm fortunate to have played some brilliant Strads, Yams and a few Carols. As ever this is my opinion but ALL 3 of those makers make brilliant trumpets. I've played great Bach 37's, 43's and 72 lightweights. Great Yams (Xenos, NY and Chicagos and even 6335HGSII) and great Carols, 5000 series and a lovely 7774 lightweight large belled model.

I'd happily use any of those trumpets as my main Bb.

all the best

brian jones
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianj wrote:
desmo wrote:

my opinion of course

Hi

I'm fortunate to have played some brilliant Strads, Yams and a few Carols. As ever this is my opinion but ALL 3 of those makers make brilliant trumpets. I've played great Bach 37's, 43's and 72 lightweights. Great Yams (Xenos, NY and Chicagos and even 6335HGSII) and great Carols, 5000 series and a lovely 7774 lightweight large belled model.

I'd happily use any of those trumpets as my main Bb.

all the best

brian jones

Absolutely agree. The Bach Artisans are wonderful instruments. I hope to try some Yamaha Customs in the future too.
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ +1 to matthes comments. My old Strad is a better classical horn than my Carol, but only because the Carol is a lightweight lead horn. If money was no object, I'd buy an Artisan, but it's not twice as good for twice the money. It's like a really good Strad.

A Bach Strad will hold it's value, though, and someone will always want one. If you like to change horns, that may make one a better deal. Buy a vintage one, and you'll probably sell it for the same money. Buy a new Carol for the same price, you might have trouble with resale value. But that's not a good reason to pick a horn.
Jay2015trumpet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Carol brass vs. Bach Reply with quote

I tried a couple of Carol Brass horns at NTC this year, a 7660 GSL and something else, I think a 5000 series horn. Nice horns, but very lightweight compared to a standard Bach 37 or even most Yamahas. They may not give the depth of sound you're looking for. Try recording yourself from a distance with different models.
BertKremer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a good feeling in playing a Bach 37, a couple Van Laar's and a Sonaré. So far the Yamaha 850GS was the best trumpet for me the last years. Due to the light-weight? The best memories a have on the Schilke trumpet's (Bb and C) I owned 30 years ago and they were light-weight.
But they are to expensive for me, therefore I think I try a new trade-mark:Carolbrass.
Curry 1.25 BBC
BertKremer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I had the chance to compare both trumpets; and I prefer the CarolBrass the most. Because of the sound was much warmer and with a rich colour which I was missing with the Bach.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Carols Reply with quote

I believe the Carol model that is their Bach 37 might be the 5060H.

I picked up a like new one on Ebay for $780, with the scratch lacquer bell. I'm kind of shocked how much I like it: it plays as well as any Bach 37 I've played. The fit and finish is flawless, and the valves are on par with Getzen. I know sterling silver lead pipes have gotten mixed review here, but it sure seems to work on this. The one thing concerns me is what I've heard about their finishes. Like Jupiter horns, they seem to wear quickly. We'll see.

If you're looking for a Bach 37-like horn, it's worth consideration.
12ekul

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol brass makes amazing horns (and IMHO their valves are far better than Bach valves!)
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Carol Brass vs. Bach Stradivarius Reply with quote

This is the umpteenth string I have read since joining trumpet herald where people (politely) try to body slam people for not buying Bach or Yamaha. There are always the apologists who say with your Bach, (a good one), or did you find a (good one.) For what a Bach has always cost, and I go back 58 years playing they have always been on the high end. I dearly loved my Benge 5 and every Schilke I ever played but Bach from horn to horn was never the same. So, what could be wrong with trying Carol Brass? I am a big believer in Yamaha because of their quality control. Schilke is still a handmaker of horns. People are correct saying that Bach will always hold its value. But, the kudos for the Korean horns keep floating in. I may buy a 5000 level CarolBrass just to see if I can find one with that Benge (starship enterprise) quality of sound, openness and projection.
I don't want to tryout 8-10 horns as I have had recommended to me before I started again to find that (good Bach) to be right.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a near-mint 506 and really like it. I'm a little nervous about the finish, because one valve button is already losing silver and the mouthpiece it came with has lost a lot of silver. Ironically, I've also seen several used bachs selling locally (a 180, an Artisan, and a 239 C) and they all have major silver loss, so it's probably just this environment.

I think of course for the true pros you try to go and try 50 different instruments with another player and pick the best. From most of us, any instrument will sound about the same. Someone should do a blind study where they compared good high school players and see how much difference the instrument makes.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may or may not be a cogent observation.
the carol model you cited is in gold brass? i personally stay with the normal 70/30 alloy. gold brass plays sweet but has a sort of monotone (?) quality and loses some of its sparkle and life. the carol brass cornet i have is like that, great sound but leaves me wishing for something with more sparkle.
many are very happy with gold and red brass and copper construction. i am unwilling to stray from standard brass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: