• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where are you guys finding this stuff?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cradugamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Where are you guys finding this stuff? Reply with quote

I hear stories often of people on here getting cheap instruments.
From the $40 alto horn to the $60 bass trumpet; I'd like to know where all this stuff is coming from, and if there's any deals I should be looking out for right now.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mouthpieces for sale are all a steal...
cradugamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they are...

I definitely don't need any more mouthpieces than I already have though.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estate sales, obscure/poorly described/mis-labled stuff on eBay. Pawn shops used to be a good place to look, but not so much any more. You have to know what you're looking at, too. I bought this one on eBay a little over a year ago for $175, the opening bid...no one else bid on it. Pics were a little fuzzy, description wasn't detailed. It turned out to be a 1966 Holton C-201 cornet, top-of-the-line model, successor to the Stratodyne, in very nice condition, complete with the original case, mouthpiece, and lyre.

dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Estate sales, obscure/poorly described/mis-labled stuff on eBay. Pawn shops used to be a good place to look, but not so much any more. You have to know what you're looking at, too. I bought this one on eBay a little over a year ago for $175, the opening bid...no one else bid on it. Pics were a little fuzzy, description wasn't detailed. It turned out to be a 1966 Holton C-201 cornet, top-of-the-line model, successor to the Stratodyne, in very nice condition, complete with the original case, mouthpiece, and lyre.

That is one pretty-looking cornet? Did it come in that condition? Is the blow consistent? Would you use it in any regular cornet-playing venue (brass band, dixieland, small combo)? Since it was made in the '60s, does it have a lot of life to the sound after decades of natural stress relief? Does it have any qualities that could be compared to more recently-made cornets?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's exactly how I bought it. It's a somewhat bright-sounding cornet, and would be fine for concert band and dixieland, but not brass band. Plays well with good intonation. It's a very pretty instrument - rose brass bell, nickel leadpipe and trim, hex braces, teardrop brace pads, 1st valve trigger, etc. I do have a couple cornets I like better, though... a large bore '93 Bach 184G and a '62 Conn 9A Victor (my favorite).
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Yes, that's exactly how I bought it. It's a somewhat bright-sounding cornet, and would be fine for concert band and dixieland, but not brass band. Plays well with good intonation. It's a very pretty instrument - rose brass bell, nickel leadpipe and trim, hex braces, teardrop brace pads, 1st valve trigger, etc. I do have a couple cornets I like better, though... a large bore '93 Bach 184G and a '62 Conn 9A Victor (my favorite).

After a quick Internet search, I see that the Bach has a Shepherd's crook bell. Do you think that has anything to do with the way it plays compared to the others? Also, with your favorite being the Conn, do you think that has a lot to do with the short wrap, Coprion bell, or other components? Is the pitch, response, and tonal color superior to the others, or is it some other elements you prefer in the Conn? Do you think this Conn cornet model is superior to the others that Conn has made through the years, and do you think it would work fine in all of the settings mentioned?
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that if you are in a position to wait indefinitely, you can find valuable stuff for extremely cheap.

The more in a hurry you are to acquire something, the more you will pay.

But if you can be patient, eventually the deal of a lifetime will show up.

That's how I got my immaculate '70s Bach C for $400, my totally restored flugel for $500, my valve trombone for $150, etc. etc.

If you are patient and keep your ear to the ground, the deals will find you!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife loves thrift stores. She found one like this for $40. It didn't look like this but it does now after a little bit of rehab.

[img]newconn22b by genevie7, on Flickr[/img]

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
After a quick Internet search, I see that the Bach has a Shepherd's crook bell. Do you think that has anything to do with the way it plays compared to the others? Also, with your favorite being the Conn, do you think that has a lot to do with the short wrap, Coprion bell, or other components? Is the pitch, response, and tonal color superior to the others, or is it some other elements you prefer in the Conn? Do you think this Conn cornet model is superior to the others that Conn has made through the years, and do you think it would work fine in all of the settings mentioned?

The Bach 184 is more "cornetty" than the 181, and mine is also a large bore with the gold brass bell option, so that helps, too. It has a more pronounced taper through the leadpipe, has a step-bore tuning slide, and has the "Bach sound". It's a little more work playing in the upper register than I like, though.

The Conn 9A is probably the best short cornet Conn ever made, and they are extremely rare, having been made for only a couple years in the '60s. With the right choice of mouthpiece, it can play any genre of cornet music, has an easy upper register, great low register, beautiful tone, and is capable of intense volume and projection if needed. I'm sure the Coprion has some part in this, but the Conn 5A (same design, but with a brass bell and nickel leadpipe) shares many of the same characteristics, but has a slightly brighter tone. The 9A just takes it to another level. The 9A was also an eBay find, but it wasn't cheap...ha ha

EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can find a Martin Committee Handcraft at an antique store where the lady thought is was a sax, anyone can.

ed
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
If I can find a Martin Committee Handcraft at an antique store where the lady thought is was a sax, anyone can.

ed

JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had good luck on Craigs List, ebay, and Estate sales. I'm a comeback player. Played in the 1960's to 1971. Then nothing until 7-8 years ago when my daughter said she wanted to play trumpet in her 6 grade band. I went on a hunt to find a couple of used trumpets. I researched as much as I could before hand so I could ID a good deal when it came up. There is a lot of info available on line; Conn, Olds, King, Bach, Blessing, Holton, Benge, Yamaha, Reynolds, Schilke, Kanstul.

Craigs List: I bought a Blessing ML-1 that was in great shape for $300. It looked nice but was stuffy, so I flipped it. That was before I googled valve alignment and mouthpiece gap. Now I tinker with a horn before I decide to keep it or not. A lady posted "Olds Trumpet on Craigs list, very good condition. $125. It ended up being a 1969 Olds Custom Crafted P-10 37117. Olds Custom Crafted model was their most expensive trumpet back in the day. It cost a lot more than a Recording. It's designed to be a lightweight Mendez, which means it's basically a lightweight French Besson. It was in great condition, except someone put in valve pads that were way too thick so it played like crap. I got a PVA done on it and now it plays and sounds very much like a Benge, which is also basically a French Besson.

Estate Sales: I'm lucky. There are a lot of Estate Sales nearby. Some of the homes are very large old estates. I picked up a Kanstul French Besson International that was in new condition for $115. It was tagged at $130 but I was able to talk them down $15 because all the slides were stuck. They had a dented student Bach sitting next to it tagged for $400. Go figure. I was surprised that it measured out as a Medium bore. The horn was tight so I flipped it. I recently picked up my 1948 Chicago Benge at an Estate Sales. It was tagged at $1,000 but it was in amazing condition. I'm keeping that one. I have seen a lot of interesting trumpets at local estates sales over the years. Estate Sales people know watches and furniture. They don't know squat about trumpets. They often priced them way too high or way too low.

Ebay: I got both of my Kanstul French Besson Classic's on ebay. The b flat was listed as a used Besson trumpet in good condition. No other descriptions. Min bid $499. I could tell from the photos that it was a Kanstul FB Classic with a Najoom pipe. I bid the minimum and I was the only bidder when the time ran out. It was my very first ebay bid. Got real lucky. The horn was almost new, no dents, no scratches, great valves, extra set of heavy bottom valve caps, and a double horn case. A year later I saw a Kanstul French Besson Classic C trumpet listed as old stock, unused condition, buy now $750. Now I have a matched set of very nice Kanstul horns that I got for a steal. I picked up my 1947 Conn 22b on ebay for $125. It looked like crap in the photos, but it turned out it was just the finish that was bad. I took the lacquer off and it's just fine now. No dents, good valves, good compression. It plays like you would expect from 22B.

Goodwill: When I donate stuff at my local Goodwill, I always nose around the store. A couple of years ago they had Silver Besson 10-10 trombone in very nice condition. It was like $40, so I bought it. Found out I didn't like playing a bone, so I flipped it with one of the stuffy horns for a mint condition Benge 3 flugelhorn. It's a UMI horn, but it looks like it was made with Benge parts. It plays really nice. It's unusual to find anything good at a Goodwill. Maybe some coffee cups or glasses.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Where are you guys finding this stuff? Reply with quote

cradugamer wrote:
I hear stories ... $40 alto horn ....

Resurrected thread. But I'll answer this question. I got my $100 alto horn from Baltimore Brass, a King H.N. White 1969 Eb/F Alto Horn. Not sure what they have right now. But in the past, they seemed to always have a few inexpensive used alto horns in stock.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: