• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which new Bach models do you recommend right now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2015trumpet wrote:
190 series all the way...any will make your playing easier, just depends on what genre/environment you'll be using it in...ymmv

I can second that. My new Bach LT190S 1 B Commercial (ML) is a lovely horn in all respects. However a variable that I found to be of importance is the "resistance"!
Are you a player who fancy horns with low resistance, easy blown, this is the horn for you! I would tend to say that the more "proish" you are the more will this horn glow!
Myself - I have to use a "running in" period. Being an amateur.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
As Ted Waggonner said, "Bach doesn't suck anymore"

You may not like Bach's but the excuse of inconsistecy, "can't find a good one", is no longer relevant.

I never thought they sucked, but they were and still *are* highly variable.

Played through an entire table of them (maybe 20-30 horns table) a couple years back, and it was very easy to pick up on fairly obvious differences, even playing two of the exact same model horn.

It's long been argued that is a good thing though, since everybody seems to like different things in a horn. Not so good if you want to mail order one, but if you can try them out locally, perhaps it's actually an advantage.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same experience recently. A local music shop had an annual event with a table full of new trumpets to try. Every Bach played differently, even if they were the same model. Only one played particularly well for me, a silver Artisan. The one 190-37 was better than the standard models.

They had a few Xenos, and those all played differently too.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Which new Bach models do you recommend right now? Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

I really, really liked a NY 7/7 that I tired a year or two ago. That would be high on my list if I was shopping for a new Bb right now.

About 3 years ago with a need for a different horn, a very sparse supply of new pro horns in stock at any Music Store within a 200 mile radius, I relied on playing many different horns that friends owned and asked a lot of questions to anyone who had playing experience with the top horns. I also tried to realistically define what I liked and/or would change about my personal horns in view of my current performance requirements. I finally narrowed the prospects down to a very short list of candidates before finally making a purchase. A year and a half in, my Bach NY7 experience has been everything that I was looking for in a new horn. I really felt at home almost immediately and as I got to know the horn, I recognized that I had selected very well. Many of my friends have played and compared my NY7 to their horns and praised the substantial ease of play on this specific trumpet. One of those comparisons was with an excellent example of a great Mt. Vernon Bach that anyone would love to own. After playing my horn, the owner stated "That NY7 is what I wanted my Mt. Vernon to sound like, I want one...".

Do your research, ask questions, go to ITG if you can, and play as many horns as you can. When you find the right one, pull the trigger right away so that it doesn't get away from you.

Best Wishes,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been playing a NY 7/7 for a few years. It might be the last Bb I ever buy.

I’ve also recently played the 37 and 43 in the 190 series, the Artisan and a vanilla 180S37. All were different from each other as you’d expect from different designs, but all were very good.

Depending on what kind of music you play there should be something in there that fits you.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently tried out a ML Commercial and a L Commercial and I did not like either one of them. I liked the NY 7; however, not better than (eventually buying) a Schilke X3
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
Recently tried out a ML Commercial and a L Commercial and I did not like either one of them. I liked the NY 7; however, not better than (eventually buying) a Schilke X3

Would be interesting for me to hear: In which respects was it disappointing?
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
thegflo81

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the NY 7 positivity. Also, I'm curious if they are making new Bb 25 bell Large bore horns...
Rompson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Bach Commercial trumpet trumpet for a little while recently. I got the impression that it was a very good horn, but very focused on one particular sound/style of playing, and while im sure it could play other styles, it would not be my first choice. The slotting was slippery, and the sound seemed very focused on the high harmonics. Still, it seemed really good at what it was designed to do.

On the other hand, I played a Bach 19043B "Mariachi" recently and thought it had a huge sound and an incredible feeling with my "commercial" mouthpiece. I thought it would also be great on the classical side as well, but when I went back to try it out, someone had already bought it! I wasn't surprised, it was great.

I really like the Artisan Bb as well, but honestly all of the 190 series trumpets are great in their own way. A friend of mine, who owns Bach trumpets from every era, thinks that the new ones are just as good as they ever were.
TrumpetMadness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best new Bach model I have ever played is a Yamaha 9445NYSII C trumpet.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMadness wrote:
The best new Bach model I have ever played is a Yamaha 9445NYSII C trumpet.

Ah. One of the so called bad ones. My condolences.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences are still there, as I have in the past year had 5 students buy or obtain new Bachs.

Two model 72* are rather nice, one much more so than the other.
Two Bach artisan Bb's, which seem to play OK, one is definitely tight, however. An Artisan D/Eb with tuning bell. Hmmm... tight and nasty. Compared to my various Eb's.
An Artisan C - yuk. Honestly, I can only describe it as faulty.

cheers

Andy
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Which new Bach models do you recommend right now? Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
DLA wrote:
I realize that Bach trumpet manufacturing has made some very good instruments over the years and also some no-so-good horns, with quality and craftsmanship declining.

What are you basing this on? If anything, quality and craftsmanship are on the rise.

Mike

I have to agree with Mike here. Thanks primarily to Tedd Waggoner, Bach is producing instruments that are better than ever. Regarding Bb's, I recently played the 190 37 and 43's. For me, superior playing horns. I was at Dillon trying them. For me, these played like exceptional examples of Mt. Vernons and early Elkharts, but with MUCH better playability. Ah, that sound! To try it is rediscover that magic that you had to find through exhaustive safari hunts. All 190's that I tried were exceptional.

I'd strongly recommend to anyone that loves the Bach sound but hated battling ease of play vs. Yamaha ease of play, absolutely needs to give them a try. These horns are fantastic.
'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play a lot of Bachs...

But, when I do, I like the NY 7/7 and the Commercial ML. I like these two trumpets, because they have distinct personalities that aren't trying to blend in or be everything to every player.

The 7/7 is the biggest sounding and playing Bach I've tried. Deep, rich, grand. To be honest, it's a bit like playing a littler Wild Thing.

I've tried one each Commercial. The ML I tried was terrific! Rich, brilliant, commanding, assertive. The L bore was not happy with itself for some reason. I have read that some others had the opposite experience with the two versions.

I've played a really good 180/37 from the early 70s. It was "one of the good ones." I liked it. I felt like I could play it anywhere. It had the sense that it could tell some good war stories, as it were. It had aged well. It just didn't light my fire.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Which new Bach models do you recommend right now? Reply with quote

I'm NOT a Bach player by ANY means. I graduated college in 1970 having played a Bach 43 bell for 4 years and within 2 months of graduating I was on a Schilke and never looked back! I basically was all in for Schilkes with a few Benges, Calicchios, Yamahas and, most recently, Adams horns thrown in.

Since I'm getting older and my playing has been going in another directions I felt my needs for a different horn with different playing characteristics was warranted. On a lark...and maybe even a hunch...I tried some Bach trumpets...a 43 bell regular weight, a 43 bell lightweight and a 72 bell lightweight and all of them were lacquered as this is my preference if I have a choice. I really had every intention, even before I received them, that I was probably barking up the wrong tree and I would be returning all of them within a couple of days of the trial period. Boy was I surprised!!!!

One horn was definitely a "no"...one was a "maybe"...until I tried the 3rd horn! This particular instrument was one of the best horns I've ever played much less the best Bach. It was VERY even bottom to top...intonation was impeccable...upper register was incredible since most of my career that's where I played the most...articulation/response was quick and clean...and the low register just barked! I've found over my career, and probably having owned 200-250 trumpets later, that 99% of the time if the low register is open and responds well the upper register will be that way also. When I was younger I would go to Giardinelli's in NYC...try 20-30 horns...blow my brains out playing nothing but the upper register...and just wear myself out to the point I had no idea which horn played like what!!! It wasn't until a great trumpet player that I worked with alot, Danny Stiles, actually reversed my way of thing on how to try out a trumpet and he turned me on to this low register= high register type of thinking...and it has worked!

OK...so the winner was....the Bach Lightweight 72 Bell!!! One other plus with this horn is that it is VERY comfortable to hold which to ME is very important. It's quite lite and is BALANCED in my hands unlike alot of Bach's that I've played that always felt bell-heavy.Great horn...got it for a GREAT price...nice case...and I couldn't be more happy with it! Don't be as stubborn as I have been over the past 48 years! If you have been opposed to a certain brand for a long while try the newer version of them and you just might be as surprised as I was!! BTW...regarding the other 2 horns I tried...the 43 bell reg weight I did NOT like...the 43 bell lightweight was passable...but the 72 bell lightweight was obviously outstanding!!

Hope this helps!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya! Got a call from a friend two days ago, a well-traveled jazz player who gravitated toward outstanding lead playing, studied with John Madrid, Uan Rasey and others. He'd been a Schilke person forever, B6, B7, liked a medium bore horn but with the reverse pipe that inspired the Committee, the Yamaha Shew's, etc. He ventured into a shop near Los Angeles and played a selection of Yammies and Bachs, and calls me, frantically, "I found it!" I said, "what, were you lost in the parking lot again?" "No, not my car, my new horn. A lightweight 72. A new one!" This nearly lifelong Schilke player is going Bach-ers!

I'm off to try it later this week. Wonder if he'll share it with me??

ed
Bach and Olds person
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which new Bach models do you recommend right now? Reply with quote

65strad wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:
DLA wrote:
I realize that Bach trumpet manufacturing has made some very good instruments over the years and also some no-so-good horns, with quality and craftsmanship declining.

What are you basing this on? If anything, quality and craftsmanship are on the rise.

Mike

I have to agree with Mike here. Thanks primarily to Tedd Waggoner, Bach is producing instruments that are better than ever. Regarding Bb's, I recently played the 190 37 and 43's. For me, superior playing horns. I was at Dillon trying them. For me, these played like exceptional examples of Mt. Vernons and early Elkharts, but with MUCH better playability. Ah, that sound! To try it is rediscover that magic that you had to find through exhaustive safari hunts. All 190's that I tried were exceptional.

I'd strongly recommend to anyone that loves the Bach sound but hated battling ease of play vs. Yamaha ease of play, absolutely needs to give them a try. These horns are fantastic.

That's great that things FINALLY seem to be getting on par with where they should be for a company that has rested on it's laurels for so long. I've played Bach trumpets for the entirety of my professional career so far, and it seems that I've had to fiddle with each one to get it to be what I was searching for. I finally broke down and found a used Gen 1 Yamaha Chicago C and have been amazed at how much nicer it plays than my Bach C. To give you a reference; I have had many other pro players play it and comment on how it is very good for a Bach and have even had people offer to buy it on the spot after testing it.

I did recently test an AB-190 Artisan Bb, the 190-37, and a Xeno 8335II. I would order them as Artisan, Xeno II, then 190-37 in terms of playability and sound, but the Xeno II and 190-37 were very close. I wish I could compare the Artisan Bb to a Yamaha CHII Bb or NYII Bb to get a more accurate test. Though, I would happily purchase an Artisan Bb if it played nicely.

I will say every Artisan C I have played has been disappointing, and it really makes me sad. So here's to hoping Bach makes a 190-229 and 190-239 very soon that will be able to compete with the Yamaha artist horns. And to hoping that overall quality improves in general.. maybe a NEW design? Don't be afraid of the future, gents! Just like parents to their kids in the 60's: we'll still love you even if you experiment a bit.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the current Bach offerings offer something slightly, or even significantly different. Finding one the suits your personal conception of sound without a bunch of manipulation and one that is not so large that you sound great for a few minutes and then are worn out is really the key. Too small can be constricting. Things are standard because they work best for most players. I personally play a 1957 ML 37 Bb and Artisan C because they sound good and don't require a great deal of unnecessary effort to play. Finding one that allows you to play without getting in the way is a good way to think about it.
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a late 70's 37 since new, so I was interested in the Artisan. I tried one, it played like a really good Strad. A guy who worked at Sam Ash told me he'd tried 4 of them before he found one he liked, and some came in with poor workmanship (but that was probably 5+ years ago). I've also tried the Commercial, liked it, but I'd want to A/B it with an Artisan and a NY7 if I was serious about buying one. I can't see spending that much for a new one, though. They're good horns, but not $1-2k better than others.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
Finding one that allows you to play without getting in the way is a good way to think about it.

You must have missed the part where I said I broke down and got a Yamaha

I've tested Bachs current offerings that would be applicable to me and none seem to achieve the goal of maximum sound for minimum effort. Hence why I'm hoping they get a 190-229 or 190-239
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: